Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day #20

Name a hobby of yours.
Hmm, this is difficult to answer because with my current line of work, "hobbies" can be sporadic at best.  It also means that I haven't explored many new areas of interest for some time.  But I love to craft, decorate with things that I have made (or copied) myself and I love to read.  (I haven't contributed to this website for a while but I would love to put more of my projects on there.  I am working on one right now that is almost finished so stay tuned...Lucky Penny is sisters and sisters in law, and this one is a blog a set up a while ago but haven't added anything to for a long time, maybe I'll add recent projects before I publish this post.)
But always, reading is truly a treat for me.  When I finish a book I kind of feel lost for a couple of days...why should I get my work all done quickly and efficiently if I don't have a book to sit down with and enjoy? I don't watch TV during the day so I simply must have a book on hand.  My favorite is historical fiction but I can enjoy just about anything.  If you haven't checked out Goodreads, do.  It is a great resource for book ideas.  You can see not only what people have read, but their reviews so you don't waste good money or time on a dud. And you can add your own friends so that it's people you know and trust!
I am currently reading Alice: Alice Roosevelt Longworth, from White House Princess to Washington Power Broker.
 It is my car book (I always have one on hand in there for those times that I am just waiting waiting for something.) This is a recommendation from Mrs. Dillon, a beloved high school teacher that gives great reading recommendations.  Hello Mrs. Dillon!
I also most recently finished The Giver (always a favorite that I read from time to time because it is so short and quick) and one called The Clockwork Three (suspenseful and interesting, not sure how I feel about the ending yet.)
On my queue are the Harry Potter series (I haven't read any of them, gasp! because I wanted to wait until the series was completely written so I can read it and not have to wait....so it's time to be on that bandwagon finally.) also Galileo's Daughter and Sarah's Key which have come highly recommended.
  
Now go get your 'read' onnnn, people.

7 comments:

Maleen said...

Do you have a book group? I am not sure what I would do without mine. And I have read some very interesting things.

I can't remember The Giver so it is definitely time to read that again. I enjoyed Galileo's Daughter, but I would NOT read Sarah's Key again. It certainly makes you think, but I was just too depressed to really like it. And it is hard if you have children in the same age groups as in the story (which you do.)

I am excited for you that you still have Harry Potter ahead of you. I hope you aren't disappointed after all the hype. But I devoured them.

Also, have your read Fablehaven? Or The Help. (Read The Help...it might be my favorite of the year. And don't forget the Hunger Games. You read that right?

Email me your top ten sometime and I will do the same for you.

Maleen said...

p.s. Does Alice kind of look like you, or am I totally smoking something?

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed Sarah's Key.

mo said...

That's my favorite hobby, too. Thanks for the suggestions. Now if I can just get them on my kindle.

Suzie Petunia said...

Intriguing. I need to read more historical fiction.

I also didn't read Harry Potter. I read the first three. But when I tried to read the fourth and I couldn't remember what had happened in the previous books, I decided to wait until they all came out before I read them. Clearly we should start our own Harry Potter book club and read them together. :)

Rynell said...

I've listened to the Harry Potter on audio book. Mostly for the accents. And because it really kept my kids enthralled through long road trips.

I have tons of favorite books, which makes favorite a misnomer I guess. A couple that I adore are The Book Thief and These Is My Words.

Berly said...

Guess what?! I am just like you with all the Harry Potter stuff. I wanted to wait and so I did. I have been reading them since August and have really enjoyed the series. Quick reads. I have 300 pages until I am done with the last book. I would recommend them now that they are all out and ready to read.