Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day #17

Today:

 Hazel exercised and didn't knock out a tooth like I was positive she was going to do.

 Mia has discovered the Wonder Woman costume that my Mo made me when I was three and she won't take it off.  She is now "all things wonder [fill in the blank]" She has been making requests for Wonder Woman the series and Superman repeatedly and hiding the costume in her closet during school so no one else will get it.  She also pairs it with different "underthings" each time I see her.  I rather like the stripey leggings today.

 Abby was, well, Abby.

 Haley practiced her new instrument at home for the first time.  She has taken to it amazingly fast.  Today was her real first day in the class (the teacher was nice enough to let her start late since we moved in after school started.) When she came down from her room, instead of just plucking the string sequences that she learned today, she had the primary songbook and was doing church songs.  This girl has musical talent...we are just  not sure where she gets it from.

And today the girls brought home school pictures..."awkward family photos" much? (please tell me you have purused that website...if not, prepare to be amazed, amused, confused, disturbed and you guessed it, awkward...if nothing else you may get an idea or two for this year's Christmas card.)
Anyway, back to this year's train wreck.  I always order the smallest package of school pictures.  I don't hang them anywhere, I just need to have one "school picture" to go in their file.  It makes it official in my mind that they really went to school, all that nostalgic good stuff.  This is the first year that they really totally stunk.  The quality is bad and what is up with Mia's hair?! I mean really, was no one paying attention to the actual child in the chair and her head?  Here, you want a close up?
If I had taken the time to edit this picture I would have put an enormous neon arrow to that craziness and written "WHAT THE HECK SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHER?!" in big letters.
So not only does the picture quality already look dated 20 years, but her expression and posture are completely  bizarre, and her hair looks nuts! (basically how it usually looks, but that is supposed to be masked every year in the school picture.) The funny thing is, Mia told me that day and again today that someone combed her hair beforehand.
When Haley was in Kindergarten I volunteered on picture day to make sure kids were good to go.  Good thing too, because some genius decided that post-lunch was a good time for the Kindergarteners to be immortalized for their parents and extended families everywhere.  I went through almost a whole box of wipies.  I was smoothing hair, cleaned food crust and boogars like you wouldn't believe.  I even made a run back to the classroom to get Haley's headband that she had left behind. 

This will have to just be one of those years that I appreciate life as it is.  Sometimes a crappy school picture is just what you get...and somehow I am OK with that.

6 comments:

wendys said...

I bought Ian's school pictures because I thought he had to have one too. What I got back was 15$ worth of garbage. Half closed eyes and a lopesided grin. what the heck.

Maleen said...

Curse you, I just spent like 45 minutes looking at awkward photos. I can't decide if it was a waste of time or not.

mo said...

I wasn't even sure that was Meems for a minute...but then I haven't seen her for more than a year. Sniff, sniff.

Natalie said...

Matt and I started a contest for my family. The most awkward family photo gets a $50 prize! We sent the email out a while ago, and I can't wait to see what comes rolling in! Hahahha! Ahhh, school pictures. :)

mo said...

Do they offer retakes? I did that many times! I cannot believe that Wonder Woman costume is still in one piece!

meg said...

I love catching up with you via blog. It's different that catching up with you via phone, which is also enjoyable. So, I miss your kids and I'd like the four of them for Christmas, wrapped up under the tree of course. And nothing you said about any of them surprises me. I like that.
Oh, and the Mia pic? She looks about 9 and the year 1981. You'll always get a chuckle from that one, and thus it will probably end up a favorite.