I wanted to put down some thoughts about our move here. These thoughts will either be very poignant in 20 years, or a fleeting thought in 2. Nevertheless, I have had a very interesting experience in our most recent move to the greater DC area. Don't worry, I will throw in random pictures here and there to keep it interesting. Let me start by saying that I have never lived anywhere longer than four years my whole life. A fact that I don't begrudge. Not to say that some moves haven't been difficult but I have been alright and things always turn out great in the end (except for maybe my school experience in Massachusetts, but I blame that entirely on puberty and a bad perm.)
The last ten years however has made me tired. The places we have lived, the experiences we have had in the Navy and the people we have known have been irreplaceable and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The fact is, as a married woman/mother, I know no other way. I actually begin to feel a little antsy after a couple of years. Even with the places that I have really loved, I start to itch for a little change (that may be why we have four kids...what? we're not moving this year? Let's have a baby!...Actually, I have always been pregnant for a move or gotten pregnant within a couple of months of a move...I call that divine inspiration, not really "good planning", as it were. But it's all worked out, right? I mean, I love all my girls so that's that...and no, I am not pregnant right now. This move may be the exception to the "norm".)
Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, deja vu. So my point is, I have always had a little bit of panic in the back of my mind about settling somewhere. It seems so permanent (which it is, obviously.) And yet in the past couple of years I have had a greater desire to settle, put down roots, and raise our girls somewhere solid and lasting. They are amazingly adaptable and friendly and flexible. But I want to give them the gift of long time friends, permanence and a bit more consistency in their surroundings. However, given the fact that we have truly appreciated everywhere we have called home, how do we decide on where we want to hang up our spurs? The logical answer naturally, would be "wherever we find a job". But what if we actually got to choose? How in the world does one go about making that decision? I'll tell you. You stay in tune with the spirit and Heavenly Father leads you there if you are listening. For the first time in my adult life I feel like I am living somewhere that I could picture myself for a very long time. A very long time. It is a bizarre feeling of home and contentment. I am optimistic that we could raise the kind of family that we want, right here where we are. I mean, we might get kicked out of this house when the owners decide the same thing, but I mean the area. I love it here, not just superficially.The strangest part about all of this and the move here has been how "familiar" everything and everyone is. Every single person I have met, whether through church or the girls' school, has had a familiar quality to them...almost like deja vu. For the first couple of weeks it felt a little like the Truman Show....like at any moment I would find out that I died months ago and this is my afterlife full of people that I already knew. OK, that is not really like Truman Show but I mean a place where everything in place is intentional and right. It's like we arrived and with every move we make we are settling into a previously designed niche, prepared just for us. The house, the neighborhood, the ward, the school, everything. I can't tell you how many times I am standing and talking to someone and want to stop in the middle just to ask "Are you sure I don't know you from somewhere?"
So for what its worth, I like it here. It feels oddly comfortable and nice and right.
(Try to ignore Clark's amazing farmer's tan in this picture because I like it...the picture, that is.)

8 comments:
We felt the exact same way about moving to Oregon. Could our two "permanent" homes be any farther apart? That is the only sad thing about this divine inspiration. Maybe the Holy Ghost will move us closer to you some day. I wouldn't mind that one bit.
I didn't notice Clark's awesome farmers tan until you mentioned it. :) But its still a great picture. Can I get the name of your photog?
I hope you people can cut me some slack on the farmer's tan. I have been without sunlight for the better part of three years. Come visit us!
First off. nothing makes mehappier than striped leggings and converse tennies.
NOTHING.
Next.. I love that you love it.
Are you sure that familiarity and contentment aren't drawing you farther west, like, say, the Puget Sound?
I'm glad you feel so good about where you are!
I know that feeling you are feeling. We felt that way about our neighborhood. It wasn't an easy decision, and the first time I told Chip and Marie-Laure that we wanted to move I burst into tears. But every time I drive home I know that this is the right place to be. I am glad that you feel that way about your place, because it is a good feeling. I just wish you felt that way about the house across the street that is currently for sale.
I hope I get that feeling someday. I truly love where we are now, but I don't think it is big enough and I want more girls my kids age in a few years. Here's hoping the spirit leads me 'home'.
I knew you would love it there. Everyone loves it there. No one is from there and yet everyone feels at home there. Sooo jealous right now. Our neighborhood is a total black hole of education and culture. But, we know this isn't our forever home so there is still hope. Enjoy it and love it and the LOST finale is what you were looking to compare your deja vu to. Finding out you are dead and everyone around you is too but you were all important in each others' lives. I think we all knew each other in heaven though and the Lord knows where to put us in a great support group. So fun to see the girls with their dad!!!
I have moved around my entire life too--longest stay in one home was six years. Unfortunately, I still haven't found that one true place. Do I belong anywhere or am I destined to keep moving until I die? Maybe I am supposed to come and live with you!
Post a Comment