Sunday, May 22, 2011

Deja vu, for me anyway.

I could have sworn that I published this post a while ago but it doesn't exist so I guess I didn't.  It really is just for the sake of my own records and it was a fun day so I just had to.  Not that that makes it any more riveting but, just thought I'd explain a little.  Aren't you glad I took the time to do that?
________________________________________

The busy of our Spring has passed and so we are back onto our normal routine, mostly.
The Mondays that Haley (and now Abby) don't have Activity Days for church we like to head downtown.  It's nice to go during the week because it is pretty empty (with the exception of a few Spring Break stragglers.) and we get the places to ourselves.  It means we can also find parking close enough to walk.  This week we decided to try out a couple of places we hadn't seen since living here.  We started with the Smithsonian Museum of American History.  We typically default to the Natural History Museum because it is so PACKED with stuff to see that the girls love.  However, that one also tends to be the most PACKED with people on busy days....smaller spaces, not laid out as well for a lot of people traffic.  So we tried something new and saw lots of fun and interesting things.

Dresses and personal belongings of the first ladies.  Seriously, what girl wouldn't love this? It is so fun.  Who knew Mary Todd Lincoln was such a tiny lady- I mean seriously tiny.  I certainly didn't.
An amazing dollhouse kept by someone I had never heard of and still can't remember the name of.  Obviously someone very memorable.  The dollhouse was amazing but considering the details she kept of everyone "living" in the house, a little creepy.
The ruby slippers.  THE ruby slippers.  So fun to see though obvious that in the late 1930's there was a tragic lack of interest in crafting because I am pretty sure I could make a better pair.  They were a little shabby, that's all I'm sayin'.
Kermit.  Need I say more?  How could that not be awesome?
Stopping to find four leaf clovers.  They were unsuccessful.  However, we did find a plethora of six leaf clovers.  My daughters apparently believe that I was born yesterday.  The rips down the center of each leaf was a dead giveaway.
Every time we saw grass,  Hazel had to lie down.
Get up Hazel...
We visited the Old Post Office Pavilion after getting the recommendation from a friend.  It did not disappoint.  There was no one there, and the views were incredible.  You can see everything from up there.
Including the pentagon across the river.  I called Clark that we were staring at him.  He waved....from deep inside it's belly.
Hazel found more grass.
Mia was cute.
 Our little budding Republican.  "What do you mean the government won't match my Daddy's TSP?!"

More of our favorite doors except these belong to the National Archives.  We went to check out the Declaration of Independence.

I have suddenly lost all interest in finished off this post with any kind of flair.  Especially because in my post edit I feel slightly mad, as in, insane.

**Post Edit.  OK, I am almost 99% sure that I already posted this.  I can remember some of the comments because I mentioned Gouverneur Morris from Pennsylvania and the fascinating story of why he has a peg leg.
Am I losing my mind? Clark seems to think so.

10 comments:

Kelly Mo said...

Nope, not losing your mind. I totally read this. And not just today.

Meg said...

Agree with above comment. I have read this post before and not a few of your newer ones below it. So blogger must be determined to make you feel like your losing your mind. So nice of it! Like we moms don't already have enough things in our life to make us feel that way :)

Charlotte said...

I read this in google reader, but it said "page not found" when I tried to get to it on your blog. Blogger went down and all posts on a certain day were lost. Yours must have been one.

The American History museum was always my favorite one to visit. I'm totally jealous of your proximity to exploring one of my favorite cities!

Lucky Mommy said...

You could have just deleted my comment instead of the whole post, ya know. ;)

Shauna said...

You're not losing it, when Blogger went a little crazy last week lots of recent posts disappeared.

Tiffany said...

One of my posts was gone for 2 days then all the sudden reappeared but without the comments people had left. But, just yesterday, the comments reappeared on that post. Weird. But, yes, I read this one. I remember the massive doll house.

Suzie Petunia said...

I have never read this, and trust me... I don't miss a post. You are all losing your mind.

Love the big doors.

mo said...

That is my favorite museum there. Did you visit Julia Child's kitchen and leave a pound of butter? Almost as good as Kermit. Love the big doors and no, I don't think you published this already...I would remember.

Anonymous said...

Well who cares when and if you posted? Its up now and speaking of going crazy...how do you take 4 daughters to a museum by yourself and then function at all? When I have to run to the local drug store with all four I start to tear..and afterwards it takes me like an hour to calm down from the all the annoyance.
Love Hazel in the grass!

Mandee said...

I wish I could come and stay with you and go to interesting places and eat yummy food.