I approached Mother's Day this year with slight hesitation...I suppose most women have to weigh the consequences of approaching a holiday like this with just the right amount of expectations. I was confused at what to do this year because it is the first time in 3 years that Clark has been home for it. So you can see my dilemma. I mean, for the last two years the girls single handedly pulled off a stack of homemade gifts and breakfast in bed without so much as a reminder. This year, I appropriately reigned in my emotions and went with what came my way. I told Clark that mainly, I just didn't want to have any part in the Saturday morning job/gripe fest. So after he got home from his run and I ate a leisurely breakfast, enjoying the whining that was commencing about chores (knowing that I didn't have to deal with any of it) I swept myself off to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home/plantation/estate/paradise.) It almost ties in beauty and serenity with Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. No, I take that back. I think I prefer Mount Vernon. But it's a close race.
I'm pretty sure it was dorky when I asked to hold a prop while posing with Martha and her granddaughter.
I could have sat there on that back porch overlooking the Potomac and chatting with them all day. Then her granddaughter complimented my hair and asked me to tell her how I did it...I was flattered until I realized I was talking to a young adult who enjoys dressing up in costume and speaking in a fake British accent. Then I wasn't sure.
It was a thoroughly pleasant afternoon.
This is the old tomb where Washington was originally laid to rest until the completion of the newer tomb he designed before he died. Everything there is just quiet and lush and calm.
I have also decided that someday I would like a house with a weather vein. I haven't decided what kind yet.
Then Sunday morning wasbacon breakfast in bed. I did have to get up and shower before but Clark was able to pull together my yummy meal in between the 100 other things he had to do that morning. When I came out of the shower I opened the door to all four girls in my bed, shoving each other and whining. I promptly kicked them out and instructed their little behinds to the hallway where they would come in with my food and singing lovingly to their mother. Which they did. (Mother's Day this year came with a lot of instructing. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.)
Clark gave a lovely talk in church and the girls were sweet and happy for most of the day, which really and truly honestly is what I wanted most. I may not have gotten the full 4 hour nap but I enjoyed standing in the kitchen and walking Clark through recipes. It was fun to have him do it and really fun to walk away from the mess that I helped him make. I wish I had gotten the picture before all the girls changed. They wore their real Easter dresses that didn't make it in time for Easter. And they looked lovely.
HAPPY BELATED MOTHER'S DAY out there to all you hard working females, mothers or not. I love you and I am amazed and inspired by you daily!
And that is all.
I really wanted to go somewhere interesting that I have really wanted to see and at a time that I would be able to listen to everything being said and read every sign possible. It was gorgeous. I ambled about wherever I pleased, sat when I wanted to sit, walked when I wanted to walk and ate when I wanted to eat. The universe even wished me well with the closest parking spot possible. It was pretty sweet and totally worth mentioning. However, the universe was not kind to me when I got in line to tour the Washington's mansion and was stuck behind the most obnoxious group of out of state teenagers ever conceived and birthed onto this earth. I tried my best to remember the things I wanted to ask and know about George and Martha in between the snide remarks, the dumb picture taking and general foul language. The man behind me, who was also going through the house alone commiserated with me about the choice group we got stuck with. I may or may not have asked him to "shoot me now" somewhere between the grand parlor and main dining hall. I don't really care for teenagers all that much (except you, Sadie. You would never tauntingly call everyone "Martha" and then badger the historians.) I believe one of the historians even gave up on their rude questions and remarked "well aren't you an obnoxious little group." I smirked like an old adult fuddy duddy.
I could have sat there on that back porch overlooking the Potomac and chatting with them all day. Then her granddaughter complimented my hair and asked me to tell her how I did it...I was flattered until I realized I was talking to a young adult who enjoys dressing up in costume and speaking in a fake British accent. Then I wasn't sure.
It was a thoroughly pleasant afternoon.
This is the old tomb where Washington was originally laid to rest until the completion of the newer tomb he designed before he died. Everything there is just quiet and lush and calm.
I have also decided that someday I would like a house with a weather vein. I haven't decided what kind yet.
Then Sunday morning was
Clark gave a lovely talk in church and the girls were sweet and happy for most of the day, which really and truly honestly is what I wanted most. I may not have gotten the full 4 hour nap but I enjoyed standing in the kitchen and walking Clark through recipes. It was fun to have him do it and really fun to walk away from the mess that I helped him make. I wish I had gotten the picture before all the girls changed. They wore their real Easter dresses that didn't make it in time for Easter. And they looked lovely.
I got to talk with my Mo and Dad too. We had a skype group with Spencer and Sho so I could tell them to bring an extra big salad for dinner. And then we mainly just played with the hilarity of a duel screen/group chat. Go to her blog to see more. Very Brady Bunch-esque...except with more choking.
This is the best nursery take-home, ever. I may just leave it on my door forever and always.
HAPPY BELATED MOTHER'S DAY out there to all you hard working females, mothers or not. I love you and I am amazed and inspired by you daily!
Because of you ladies out there in blog land I have had a recent obsessive desire to make something cute, or rather to re-purpose something cute. Call it an innate desire to take something less attractive and make it lovely.
So last week I ventured into a nearby, enormous (and kind of scary) thrift store to find something to store our piano books in. Something to liven up the front room and make it fun.
Before:
After:
And because an impulse buy of $6.00 feels so good,
Before:
After:
(Do I need to clarify that I did not receive that card for Mother's Day? I would have laughed if I had.) And that is all.







17 comments:
I have been a long time firm believer that ESCAPE is the best mother's day gift. My girls forgot to give me their Mother's Day presents till 9pm that nite... you are right some years are like that.
Super job on the thrift store re-dos!
Cheers
That nursery leader should be sainted...I love it! And, how wonderful that you got to celebrate at Mt. Vernon...obnoxious teens and all. I got to go to the commissary with only one child. You win, my friend. You win.
The yellow is adorable...how could you NOT be happy practicing the piano with that lovely item holding your books. I think I'll park myself on that welcoming ottoman (SP-much too late to check the spelling on that) and have a listen. Happy Belated Mother's Day!
Ok, everything surrounding the "dorky" picture of you with the fan and the compliment on the hair sent me into a fit of laughter that not only made me cry alone, but then I went in to re-tell it to James and I couldn't speak bc I was laughing so hard and then I had an awkward moment where I couldn't compose myself and he just stared at me, slightly amused. It made me laugh a LOT is what I'm saying.
I love how we try to get away from the kids for Mother's Day. And I can't tell you how jealous I am that you got to go read the signs. What is that like?
I love the Skype pictures. I have never used skype and I don't know if I felt like I was missing out until now.
Oh, and could you do your hair again and take a close up picture? I am always looking for new styles, especially colonial ones.
I love your trip to Mount Vernon. When I visited DC as a teenager, that was my absolute favorite thing we saw. It was just my mom and I that made the trip, and it was a beautiful spring day. I still remember the peace of that day when I think about it. We sat by the Potomac and ate lunch after. Luckily I don't remember any annoying teenagers in my group!
Oh please come decorate my house--- I so need help in that department!
I love mount vernon - we bought season passes when we lived there and it was our escape too - and I love you and I love your beautiful yellow dresser and stool. Come help me give my house some personality!
I'm commenting to validate you and your blog :) apparently, my stalking isn't going to cut it anymore.
I miss you! It was just like old times tonight. We'll have to get together soon!
This is where I confess that one of the best family vacations I ever had was the one where Dad took all of you kids to Lake of the Ozarks for three days and I stayed home alone where I did whatever I wanted to. It was pure heaven and I got to sleep at home in my own bed! Loved it! I also loved our real family vacations, too--really. LOVE LOVE LOVE the new furniture. You are amazing. The card is funny--a little disturbing, but funny. Speaking of funny, you are...I mean really funny...you are really funny. There. That is what I meant. The end.
I loved Mount Vernon too. I am impressed with your projects-they look amazing. Oh, and I still want to see the original Easter dresses. Love you Em!
I am not too lazy in sign in on my own-so i really need to? Love, MOM
Em where did you find the fabric for that ottoman? It's awesome and I need it. :) Glad you had a good Mother's Day. I am impressed that your four girls brought you breakfast in bed without Clark's supervision in years past. Wow.
That ottoman and cabinet thing are darling. Good job. I wish I could pull off stuff like that.
A trip sounds lovely for Mother's Day. Peter had to talk that Sunday, too, but then again, so did I.
LOVE your furniture refashioning!!!!!!!!!! Way to go, friend! It really should be in a post all its own though. And lovin' that skype strangling!
oh, and, a little chuckle that you did that tour all alone.
I LOVE your thrift store finds and what you did to them! Reminded me a little of "Sarah's House"...if you don't watch that show...try it! She does some amazing stuff!
Post a Comment