It's not that I don't
want to write about Halloween, I just don't really feel like writing about Halloween. I love Halloween, I am just over it now and happy that is it November. I like November. (November is when I have a steady supply of Wassail in my fridge for whenever the mood may strike.) I also like candy. So I guess I
do want to talk about Halloween. We got so much candy that we started handing out their loot towards the end of the trick or treaters, by the fistfuls....they will never even notice. The girls looked adorable, they had fun and the weather was surprisingly mild, albeit very, very windy. I only made two of their costumes this year, the patterns of which moved me from "what the heck am I doing and what does that mean?" to the next seamstressing level of "what the heck am I doing and what does that symbol mean...ooh, look, it's a dress!" We did a church party, a neighborhood party, trick or treating and three "non Halloween" class parties. They were all fun. And did I mention the candy? There was candy. I revived the old, faithful sailor costume, comfy, warm, easy. Clark was George Washington (I swear we'll return it someday, Carrie.) He spent the evening chatting up a storm with them wooden teeth. Yadda yadda yadda, candy. The End.
(Hazel vehemently refused to wear any of the furry Halloween costumes I already had in her size...so I had Clark pick up the cheerleader when his boat was docked in Annapolis, MD last week...fooled her, she thought she was in regular clothes. And don't you think Mia looks nice next to Abe? She kept backing up to people to sting them.)
Abby couldn't keep her Rapenzel wig in place (and you can see her hot pink sweat pants under her skirt) but Haley got a trophy for best costume at our neighborhood party. I think she impressed the judges during the costume parade - she was totally workin' it. It absolutely made her day. (PS She was Alice, from Wonderland.)
Today I mostly feel like laying my head on my Mom's lap and saying "Tell me a story. Tell me what it's like to live with one other adult who puts his clothes somewhere other than the floor when he takes them off. Tell me what it's like to live in a house where I am not throwing mis-fired wads of toilet paper from the floor into the toilet, or crumbs off of
everywhere and smelling underwear (from a fair distance) to see where it belongs." And then I will clothes my eyes and drift off into a delightful slumber, dreaming of cleaner days. I concede that the daydream
may or
may not make me miss the days when my children were small. It's just one of those days. I am going to pretend that I am really bored and want nothing more than to complete the items on my endless list of things to do. I may have to wear my cute apron, and whistle. Yes, I can do that.
Also, pennies really shouldn't be used anywhere near metal night lights. Ever. A safety message brought to you by the daughter with blackened fingertips.
Also, the last tenants need to hire a painter that owns painter's tape.
23 comments:
Oh, I hear you. My alarm went off this morning (so i can attempt to excercise..didn't happen...and try to get ahead of the game by showering before kids get up..didn't happen) and I almost felt like crying. I am picking things up and busy all day, but you know what, you just can't tell by looking at my house or my kids. Some days it seems monumentally depressing.
That is funny. They all look adorable. Love that Mia was stinging people, and I am truly impressed with your seamstressing...
I'm trying to figure out why they didn't just get out their screwdriver and take the outlet cover off the wall. Some people are just lazy, I guess!
I was all prepped with my comment and now I'm distracted by the comment you had to delete...do share. Was it scandalous?
I was also Alice in Wonderland but no one gave me any prizes. All your costumes were darling and I'm FLOORED you sewed them...not surprised that you are that talented but where do you find the time?????
You are a sucess my dear, truly a sucess. Your family is lucky to have you. I like to tell myself that at some point, I'll miss the little annoying things that come with raising littles - but not smelling underwear. You can't miss that one.
Oh, and you make a very attractive man. Just for future referance...
You don't even need the tape, just unscrew the plate and paint away!!
I am so sad that we are not there for events such as Halloween. You guys always do such a fun great job with costumes!
I would totally let Mia sting me, then I could see that cute little smile in person. Good job sewing, you did a stunning job. Because of our location, I got off easy and just sent all the kids to the dress up box. Hee! But on another note, are ya comin'?
WOW.. I am impressed with the sewing. Your girls look adorable as usual -
I want to stop by and let the kids play while we drink wassail. Sometimes you just have to leave the mess for the night, or the next day. I am sure you know this but there is the extent of my parenting advice!
May very well me the cutest bee-dress ever. Can't she pull that off at church? Your outlet FREAKED me.. blackened fingertips, bad. But darling costumes and festivities, good.
I really should have tried the apron today. Instead, after slamming my head into a hanging shop-vac in the garage not once, but twice, I decided today was a crying day. I hope I have it out of my system and I took the shop-vac down for good (just in case).
I LOVE the bee costume, I am guessing you made it? I also love the little cheerleader, nice trickery:) I'm tired of sniffing underoo's myself.
I LOVE the costumes!! And like you I am over Halloween and ready to move on to the next great Holiday. I miss you!
WHat?!?! Moms can make their kids' Halloween costumes? I thought that was what grandmas are for.
I want to know if Mia wears her bee dress every day and also Hazel's dress. That would make her very happy. Good Work! Love you.
Good job Halloween mom! Cute as buttons, as usual. Funny thing, after my first regular day in the temple I was wishing I could lay my head on your lap and have you tell me soothing stories and fix ME wassail. Oh well, we will both keep doing our best and try to enjoy the season we are in. We'll both be just fine...tired, but fine.
Goodgrief you have a poplar blog. Anyway very cute halloween costumes. None of my kids have posted pictures yet so I am enjoying everyone elses kids. You are doing a good job mom
Such cuteness!
I am also soooo glad Halloween is over! I was over it before the 31st. How did Halloween day become Halloween week. Exhausting! Bring on the wassail!
i love the costumes, esp. the bee! so cute! and your little hazel is such a cutie! i feel the same as you about all the mess. it's really been getting to me lately- the neverending need to sweep or pick up crumbs, etc etc. i can so relate.
You really did do a great job on the costumes. And you did find the most adorable Abraham Lincoln in the whole entire world.
That outlet is frightening- glad there wasn't any horrible damage. The tape comment made me laugh, though.
Next year Hazel should be a witch...get it? Witch Hazel?
Post a Comment