This is new territory for us. I don't like my kids to go to friends' houses to play that I don't know. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. Occasionally they do, but it is rare. I have decided to allow myself to be protective like that. We don't do sleepovers either, and never will. That fight is easier to win, but the playing thing, that's a tough one to convince them of. I would much rather kids play here.
I'm sure this is just the beginning of years of "gentleman callers". I mean, I know they are completely just friends, but it puts me on my guard nonetheless...these are my babies, my daughters, my littles. I may never get used to it.
However, I do promise that as they get older I will stop sneaking up on them with the camera to capture the moment...
I mean, she is riding on his pegs, how adorable is that? I let the moment of discomfort that my daughter is friends with a boy, and she's 8, pass. After all, I had better enjoy it now, it won't be so cute when they're driving away in a an actual car.
The End.
Here is what I love:
See? That's me folding my laundry and being entertained by someone without causing permanent damage to my neck by holding the phone in place...and in case you were wondering, I always look pleasant and engaged while talking on the phone like that.


21 comments:
June came home the other day telling me that the kids were singing this song about her and some boy and then she starts in, "June and (some boy) sitting in a tree." I stopped her and told her I knew how it went.
It made me panic a little, but at the same time, I want her to have boys who are friends.
I love the picture of Haley on the pegs. It seems so grown up. I agree that it is probably best to enjoy it now. I don't even like to think about real dating yet.
I always joke with Tyler that boys will call our family, 'the family full of hot girls' but the older they get the more nervous that makes me.
Good luck with your hot girls.
Heh... You don't got no legs in that picture.
At least they are wearing their helmets and practicing safety. :)
You make me laugh. Lukily my boys are still in the "girls have cooties" phaze. I think I am good with that! And I am right there with you. We don't allow sleepovers. I also don't allow my kids to watch TV or get on a computer at anyone's house but mine. I talked to a mom of one of my kids friends about our rules, and she said I was crazy. Oh well. I just really like to know what my kids are doing, watching and playing! Besides, I figure riding bikes, or playing outside is always better for my kids at this age.
Am I still typing? Wow. Anyway, your oldest is seriously cute, and I love the picture of her riding behind the bike with her cute friend!
Such a cute picture - but I am with you. It is just the beginning. Kaylee's birthday is in January and this year she wants a boy and girl birthday party late at night with treats and a movie. WHAT!! - I know it is cute and innocent, BUT she is turning 8 years old. Deep breathe - and sigh....
With four beautiful girls living in your house, you better get used to the idea of gentlemen callers. I'd get a big stick...make sure it's heavy and pointed.
My best friend from that age was a neighbor girl. We are still friends. I don't remember my mom having any rules about friends and houses and stuff like that. In fact, I bet she was more glad to get me out of the house than she was worried about where I was or what I was doing. At eight we were riding our bikes up Evil Knevil's jump on the edge of the Snake River Canyon...seriously, but at least we weren't with strangers. But I am more like you.
That is so sweet. I am glad you captured the moment. It was a new mommy moment and should be documented and enjoyed and blogged about. Kuddos. I love the headset too. You look like a beautiful operator from Bye Bye Birdie's telephone call song! So glad you can be productive and keep company with family!
Miss Emily - send me your email address so that I can add you to my blog!!!
jacquijardine@gmail.com
I love your blog - i need to be more funny.
love you!
How about brothers? Will your fancy headset work when you talk to brothers?
I feel very scared at the idea of the girls entering that realm... I mean... I remember what my sisters where like... poor little guy.
where can i find a cute headset like that? boys/girls--nice. I strongly urged tyler to invite his female friend to his party. i think he was embarresed, but he gets so excited when she comes over (swap pokemon cards) I said it was unkind to not invite her.
I have a friend with four daughters, he has a shotgun and a big bullet with each boys name on it as they walk out the door. Wish I would have had one.
Love,
Aunt Verlinda
Oh, pegs. Rob insists that the bike we get Bridger for Christmas has them. I guess he really wanted them on his bike and never had them.
Next time Abby says that "Emily is on the other line," I will picture you with your HUGE headset on. It matches the remote control that she used in the hospital. As her about it.
I love picturing you talking to me with your headset. You look so efficient.
Jacob loves Haley. I think she just has one of those adorable, instantly likable personalities. Just get used to those gentleman callers...that ain't goin' away for a number of years. That's what you get for having really cute girls with really darling personalities. If they were ugly and boring you wouldn't have that problem.
Well I do declare! Haley has a gentleman caller (said 'calla'). My oh my. I think this is the first time I've ever wished I had all boys.
I will not tell Ethan, he will be devastated. Joseph has a special little "friend" at school and Kirsti still talks about her "friend" she left behind in NC. I still remember my special childhood friend with fondness, even though we really haven't seen each other for 20 years.
Do you still talk to your family on a land line? It was much easier for me to convince my entire family to switch to my cell phone provider so I could talk to them for free,e.
That is great. I love your headset, too-- you look so domestically professional! I just wish my girl would remember that she IS a girl and not think she is a boy-- that is the only gender she would play with up until a few weeks ago-- thankfully she remembered that girls are fun too. Nothing against boys.
Ok, I want one of those headsets. You look so official--and engaged of course. Ok, also, I have the exact same glasses. Weird.
So that's what we single mothers need to survive. :)
Thank you, Charlotte! It would be much cheaper for ME if we could she could always use her cell phone! They have headsets for those, ya know.
Yeah, except her home is situated in a major dead zone for cell phones!
Post a Comment