Tuesday, October 17, 2017

December 2016...somebody get me a trophy! I made it through 2016.

You know what? Forget the trophy, I would much prefer a cookie.  This walk down memory lane has been delightful and tiring.  I realize that its already October of 2017, thus making me still, very, very behind.  But being in the same in the year has some merit.

I love Christmas.  I love that we get to bask in it for an entire month.  (Just for the record: I firmly believe that it is inappropriate to decorate for Christmas until at least the day after Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is my favorite.  And it deserves all of our attention. Plus, fall is kinda awesome, so....that's that.)  Warm and cozy.
And rubber horse heads.  Everyone needs one.
The LDS church here has participated in the city Christmas parade for several years.  Last year Abby got to be an angel on the float.  She did a heavenly job.
Jonah's preschool did a Christmas concert that was adorable and adorable.  I tried to get a cute picture of him in his bowtie before we left.  My mistake, there's no such thing as Jonah sitting still for a cute picture.  Just cute pictures of him being nuts.
The whole family went and you could've scooped me up off the floor after watching Jonah make a heart with his hands at his sisters.  That's their little thing and I love it, so much.  Plus he didn't fall off the risers or pick his nose so I would call it a smashing success.  He is a lucky little boy.
Our neighborhood only has 17 houses in it - they are not all completed yet but its a small and intimate enough group that we wanted a chance to meet everyone and introduce ourselves...maybe so they won't be so annoyed at "that one house down the street with too many freaking kids and a yard that's always full of random bikes and single skates".
Mia did a science experiment with "elephant toothpaste".  It was lots of fun...especially when the food coloring finally faded all the way, gone.
The Larsons convinced us to play hookie one day and met them in Williamsburg at Busch Gardens for Christmas Town.  It was an unseasonable mild day so it was perfect! We did roller coasters and ate food and hung out with our friends.  We plan on making it a yearly tradition.

We have a bald eagle that lives in a tall tree across from our neighborhood.   He catches fish out of the ponds and looks perfectly majestic anywhere he lands.  I was lucky to get such a good shot of him one day on the roof of the house across the street.

We don't get a lot of snow in southern Virginia so when it comes along we take full advantage.  I think we might have missed a couple of days of school as everything iced over and most neighborhood roads were never plowed.  It was freezing and we weren't very well equipped for such weather but we went sledding on the golf course and played and played with the neighbors.  Also, we drank copious amounts of hot chocolate.
Clark and I had the opportunity to go to a work related party.  I haven't dressed up for anything for so long it was kind of hard to even find something.  But I felt lovely and we had a good time, mostly.  I loved getting dressed up and going out, but big, loud parties where I have to chit chat is not really my scene.  I absolutely love that I have daughters that can help me with my hair-and that have enough hair themselves to keep things interesting :)
Christmas Day! The kids all got one piece jammies this year so we were a fuzzy bunch on Christmas morning.  This year we decided to kill two birds with one stone by spending our Christmas budget on things to decorate their rooms.  They spent the weeks and months leading up to Christmas using a small budget to choose things for their rooms - curtains, chairs, new bedding and some decor.  Then as it came in the mail it was hidden away so they could forget about it.  I purchased and made a couple of things for each of them so Christmas morning was a mix of excitement for things they had picked out themselves and a few surprises for their rooms.  It was a fun way to do Christmas, and felt a little more "productive" and useful than other years.


2016 out!


No comments: