The body is a mysterious thing.
I am constantly amazed at our bodies and what a complex operating system it is.
Sometimes my body is capable of doing things that my mind didn't think possible.
And sometimes my body is capable of doing things simply because my mind forces it too.
And occasionally, my mind is just wrong and my body can't do it at all.
I have been surprised at what I can do and what my body has endured - births, surgeries, stress, illness, strenuous work.
I know that our bodies are so delicately balanced that when one thing is out of whack, it affects A LOT of things. So, the plot thickens.
Western medicine. The MD. They have saved my own life and the lives of 3 of 4 of my babies...but with my day to day health I find myself asking "what have you done for me lately?"
I am a strong believer of holistic remedies. The idea that our body's systems are sensitive and intricately interconnected. I believe in healthy food, water, water, water, activity, stretching, breathing, all that good stuff.
If I took the diagnosis and treatment from one school of thought to the other, I would be scoffed at but I see a need for both to work together. The truth is, I have taken the diagnosis from one to the other and vice versa and what I have found is, these kids don't play nice on the playground.
I feel like both schools of medicine, at least the individuals I have seen, are incomplete. They need one another to be balanced and whole.
I have had a lot of vague health issues in the last several years, especially since Hazel was born. I say vague because my list of symptoms could be the list of symptoms for a huge long list of things. Each time I have gone to an MD their answer is, "well, what is bothering you the most today?" and BAM, 3.4 seconds later I have a prescription note in my hand which consequently is wadded up in the trash 2.8 seconds after that with a resolve to seek out yet another doctor that will delve deeper than the symptom that tops my list that particular day. That is not what I want. What I want is someone to look at all of my issues as a whole and figure out where things are out of sync. What is the root cause?
I know that they are busy. I know I am asking a lot of them. But aren't they interested in a challenge beyond their daily cases of strep throat and indigestion?
I have spent most of my life with doctors on this pedestal of all knowing wisdom and capability to easily diagnose and solve problems and the truth of the matter is, they can't. They do know more than me (a heck of a lot more when it comes to the body) but I know my body. Their job is to alleviate discomfort, and in the case of what our insurance offers, which is virtually FREE medical care which is awesome but also a grossly lacking facility and staff that is overrun with patients and understaffed with time. I don't know why it has taken me so long to realize that I have to be the manager of my own health. I have been leaving too much to the doctors. And while they are capable of many things that I am not, I need to be more involved and more in charge.
After doing extensive reading, praying, listening and consulting with multiple medical professionals I marched into an appointment at our clinic last week and gave her a list of tests that I wanted her to do. I am fairly sure that doctors don't appreciate that kind of thing. But I finally felt like I was on my way to getting somewhere. And instead of just listening to the standard "nope, everything looks good" phone call a couple of days ago, I told them I would come by today and pick up a copy of all the results. I have spent the better part of the afternoon looking up everything on the panel and trying to understand what it all means and more particularly, what it could mean for me. I am taking these results to another doctor this evening for a second opinion. That feels assertive. It feels productive. Let's hope it is.
I am in tune. I know how to listen. I know when something is not quite right.
So, several times in the last couple of years I have turned to a more holistic approach. The only problem with this avenue is the lack of "science". Science gives me that concrete affirmation of truth. Truth be told, the holistic side comes across a little wacky. Sometimes I even call them my "witch doctors". (There was that time that Clark and I went to an Iridologist-so interesting!) They appeal to my understanding of the body. It makes sense to me. The chiropractor, the applied kiniseologist, the acupuncturist and massage therapist. Seeing these people gets results. They do. But then sometimes they don't, or its temporary and I am left feeling that lacking validation from the science of it.
I can't express the frustration that I have felt in the past months. The problems have been an issue for almost 3 years (being the worst and most problematic since Hazel was born.) I have felt especially frustrated in these last 3 months of training for the triathlon because I have hit several walls that make me feel seriously questioning whether or not I am capable of completing the race. It's not just a matter of being pushed or being tired. It is much more than that.
I am so excited for the race and the thought of not finishing would be disappointing, to say the very, very least. I am not nervous but I feel skeptical of my body's abilities. That is not a good feeling. I was an athlete in high school so I know what it should feel like and when something is not quite as it should be.
I will continue on my quest to manage my own health to the best of my ability and definitely utilizing modern medicine where appropriate. I believe in them, I know I need them but I have gently ushered them into the passenger seat and will be the one sitting behind the wheel from now on.
Wish me luck.
Post Edit: Let it not go unnoticed that I have been blessed with the occasional amazing doctor-my OB with Mia, my perinatologist with Hazel and our friend in CT (and supportive wife) who made more than one "house call" free of charge to supplement the time or two that our military clinic left us hanging high and dry. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! There is not enough Ben & Jerry's in the world for you and your house calls.


19 comments:
I think I am with you on this one. I believe there are good things that come from both schools, and sometimes one side gets it right while the other is lacking and vice versa. But you definitely need to take the reins on your body. Only you are with you all the time and can feel the subtle differences.
This year is my first year not being pregnant or nursing and my allergy season is just around the corner. I'll have to see how bad they are and then make some decisions since I have options now. But in the end, I have to decide what works best for me. Sometimes it seems easier if someone else could just make those decisions for me.
I hope you figure out what works best for you and I really hope your race goes well.
I couldn't agree more. When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy, I saw a ton of doctors. No one had an answer to why I was fainting every day after my cycle. Well, 1 doctor did and listened to me very carefully. Because of me knowing "me" and the doctor taking what I said into consideration, we figured it out. My neorologist was the one who told me to look into yoga, biofeedback, and acupuncture. He said I could manage my epilepsy with a low dose of drugs along with the other more natural forms of medicine. He was more than correct!! I am now on an extremely low dose ( and after a lot of prayer, i am okay with taking a "drug" for epilepsy- that is an entire story in itself) and can manage my epilepsy all on my own. I know you will figure out what you need to do. The pieces will fall together . Good luck with your race!!
Bless you, dear. For a minute there, I thought I had written that post! What you said (very eloquently, I might add!) definitely resonates with me! So glad you are in control. It's so nice to be able to trust the one in charge. Or perhaps, the One in charge? Good luck balancing the witch doctors with the md's! (btw, remember our witch doctor from Va Beach? Susan probably still goes there occasionally. Dr. D. I've consulted with him long distance and been happy. It's so hard moving to a new place and finding doctors that you can trust. Let me know if you want his info!)
I am so glad that someone else feels the same way I do. I do not have medical problems that are persistant like yours but I do feel like there are times where modern medicine is severely lacking and the "witch-doctors" are all crazy. I have said so many times that I wish the many disciplines would combine forces and learn when certain remedies/procedures were necessary to be applied - regardless of whether they were modern science or holistic. Like when my appendix bursts holistic is no good for me, but giving me only anti-inflammatories for my sore knee and asking me to come back if the pain persists in two weeks without looking at reasons for the soreness really drives me bonkers.
I'm proud of you for taking charge of your own health. It's what more of us need to do. I'm interested to hear the rest of the story.
Sorry above comment was actually from Meg :). - No creapy guy you don't know stalking your blog.
You may be interested to talk to Aunt MaryAnn (my Dad's sister). She's the family witch doctor ;). Just kidding she is very knowledgable in the herbal remedy area among other things. I consult her when I question.
D.O. 's vs. M.D.'s are docs that take the holistic approach, but I am sure you knew that. Lyndon always mocked them a bit, until he worked with one. Now he thinks much differently.
It is all about takin ghte reigns. Good for you.
p.s. spell check is not on, this message may contain many errors....
You tell 'em, sistah! I'm on board with you 100%! I am so glad you are taking things into your own hands. And I hope you get answers and results. I totally believe there is something to Acupunture, especially. Good luck, and I can't wait to hear about what happens. We are big believers in "consumer-driven healthcare" in our family. It is the only thing that will change the system that is broken!
Our pediatrician is a DO and it has made all the difference in the WORLD to me...not for everyone (Sarah prefers the MD at the practice), but I am totally with you. Perhaps a good DO is what you need...why did I always think it was "wholistic?" I just bit the inside of my lip really hard while typing. Will melaluca oil help? :)
I need my own personal Dr. Oz...wouldn't that be awesome?
I'm a have to call you and find out what happened...if we ever have free time at the same time again.
Emma Jo ~ Thanks for the comment the other day. You seem like a fabulously fun person! Love the family photo!!!
I agree about the both doc types. A mix of both is the best. But since there aren't many, you have to research a lot yourself. Plus, you know your body best. I'm glad you are taking steps to figuring out your health issues. It can be frustrating at times, but little by little you will progress towards being where you want to be and feel you can/should be. Good Luck with Everything!
ps: I know we have never officially met, but can you share some of your fabulous positive happy energy with me.
I think you are on the right track. I hope you finally get the answers you need to get the help you need. Good luck--this has gone on long enough, huh? BTW, love the pic of the guy in the cone of shame.
I remember one thing that the iridologist told you was that you are truly able to listen to your body and do what it tells you. I am proud of you and I want to hear the second half of the story.
So if I had to find the humor in all of this it would be that when I asked the appointment people at the front desk of our clinic if they could tell me which in the practice where MD's and which were DO's he looked at me like I had two heads. (ie he didn't know.) Then when I went in for the appointment where I got the tests all done, I had been sent back with the wrong chart. The guy had seen only the correct name of Emily on there, and instead of assuming since the last name was different it wasn't me, he just printed out a new label with MY name on it and called it good. Meaning, IT WASN'T EVEN MY CHART. We have a pretty sweet set up at our clinic. Pretty sweet.
So, I wrote you a nice, long comment that would have been the third comment about how much I agree with your findings. Sadly, I pushed the publish button and it all went away. I was a bit annoyed. Anyway, DO's have already been mentioned but I am interested in them as well. They do take a more holistic approach but they still prescribe medication, etc. They just seem to straddle the fence a bit more than MD's. Your current doctor's office sounds, um, awesome and perhaps not awe inspiring in the good way. I hope you find the answers to your health questions. It is frustrating to not feel 100% and not know how to fix it. I would like to say though, on the off chance that it applies, you CAN do that race. Even if you don't do it as well as you like, I am sure you can at least finish the race. Perhaps it is lowering the current standard but if you are having doubts, just do it (even if it means walking some of it or swimming really slowly and floating to rest) to prove to yourself you can complete the race. Once that is done gaining the confidence in your ability just to do it, you can look forward to improving the time, etc.. Break a leg, Good luck, or, God bless you, whichever you find most appropriate!
Great, great post!
I appreciate your balanced, common sense, honest and humorous take on the "medical" vs. "holistic" debate that our society is really grappling with. It is especially hard on mothers these days knowing what to do. Your own blog diagnosis is spot on!
May God bless you on your own journey of truth and health. It is the greatest comfort that He already has all the right answers.
Cheers,
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with such a challenging issue. I've definitely learned in my experience with my work and with Ian, that there is no substitute for being well informed yourself and for making sure you get the help you need. Medicine can be a service industry like any other--often it's great, but sometimes the customer has to stand up for what you need. Good luck with everything. Loves.
Yes, our clinic is...interesting. We've been "under-impressed" the few times we've been there. Doctors are an interesting species. I've had many, like you, that saved us...words can not express my gratitude for all those doctors and nurses at Yale who ensured the health, happiness and survival of my sweet Hazel Mae. And some, (many) who baffle us. My favorite was one at the NACC, who after looking at my chart for approx. 30 seconds and introducing himself to me, decided that he was going to change my blood pressure medication and my birth control pill. I politely thanked him for his time and walked out the door. Good luck! You're definitely on the right track and I hope you find some answers...and some peace of mind.
Hey, you know your most favorite ER doc is a DO, right? They do learn a more holistic approach, but I can honestly say there isn't a lot of difference in the way they practice. There is a difference between "holistic" (Which I totally agree with) and "homeopathic" (of which you know I am a skeptic).
I think the holistic approach is great at diagnosing, not so great at treating. I am proud of you for taking charge of things and demanding the care you deserve. I would also think doctors would be up for a challenge instead of checking for strep viruses. I hope you keep going with your training and getting to the root of your problems. I am a big fan of resting when your body says to rest, but I hate when that feeling limits what I can do.
I wrote this long, detailed comment the other day and it wouldn't post and was somehow lost in cyberspace, but I felt inclined to try to leave you a quick note on this one again I felt like I could have written it! As a childhood cancer survivor, I am plagued with the mysterious and often serious "late effects" of all those powerhouse chemotheraphy drugs that, while they saved my life as a child, consequently have made life quite difficult and stressful for me and often unhealthy as an adult. Not surprising, most doctors don't know much about what these drugs do to a body 30 years down the road, so I'm often left on my own...just me and Google to piece things together and sort it out. Like you I've walked out of doctors offices after a 90 second visit with a handful of prescriptions that would cause me more side effects than the health problem I'd been having.
So, after I've spent hours pouring over various websites, I take my newfound knowlege to my doctors (sometimes impressed and pleased with my self initiative, sometiems offended--I've learned not to go back to the ones that are offended). I've managed to survive, but still find it extraordinarily frustrating the lack of time spent on a patient and the lack of communication between doctors. (but can also empathize with their frustration of insurance compannies that don't pay, office staff overhead, malpractice insurance costs and knowing that they need to see "X number" of patients per day to cover all of their costs and start to pay down their med school bills)
I also have a very strong belief that modern medicine needs to be combined with holistic medicine, or at the very minimum good nutrition, physical exercise, spirituality, meditation, etc.
As for the doctor visits, I actually have a couple of "tips" for you that have proved invaluable to me and have been learned the hard way. We'll chat a bit on Thursday (as much as we can chat with 7 kids running around inside the house on a rainy afternoon :)
Tamara
Post a Comment