Monday, March 07, 2011

Moving on...Who needs an electric blanket when they have a husband?

A few nights ago we watched as Bear Grylls made a fitted, seamless tank top out of a seal carcass.  I kid you not.  It was one of the funniest/most disturbing things I have ever seen.  At least now I know how to survive if I have to swim from one island to another in Scotland through frigid waters.
In other news, Hazel, dear 4th born, frequently breakfasts on the leftovers of the school going children.  We take them to the bus stop and come home to uneaten portions of food on the table.  Hazel climbs right up and helps herself.  Do you suppose she will resent me for it one day?
Hey, waste not, want not.  That's what I always say. (No it isn't.)

 I am cold all the time.  From about late October to April I am cold.  I am cold in my house, in the car and just about anywhere I go.  I just cannot get warm, until that is, I get into bed at night.  Sometimes, when I am in the bathroom finishing up the personal-hygiene-before-bed routine, Clark is on my side of the bed, running in place to warm things up.  And then he lets me snuggle right up close to his always warm (dare I say "hot", wink wink) body.  He will even sandwich my freezing cold feet between his warm ones.
Now that is love.

On Friday we attended Haley's big Colonial Day at school.  They have been studying Colonial America since the beginning of the year so this is their big day.  I made her a fancy dress so she could do the Virginia Reel in style.  She was adorable.  Then I helped in the colonial crafts room doing silhouettes.  I was about 3/4 of the way through 50 fourth grade boys before I realized what an unfortunate height fourth grade boys are in relation to the height of my bosoms.  (I was literally having them face me while I traced their silhouette on the wall, a mere 6 inches from their face....think Gloria giving Phil a haircut...with the exception of a cup size or two.) Once I realized that "unfortunate positioning", I tried not to think about it for the remaining 1/4 of the 4th grade male student body.  The silhouettes turned out adorable, despite the psychological scarring.
It was fun to be at the school and see all of their hard work.  Her teacher told us that this year's class got the highest grades she has ever had on their Revolutionary war unit.  Smarty pants.

And this is a shout out to Clark pants, who has his first race just a couple of weeks after mine.  He and that fellow in the center there (husband to my triathlon partner) are ultimately training for a marathon this fall but doing their first half marathon in mid April.  Go Clark! And yes, I included my goofy looking brother just because I can.

And that really is all I have to say on this chilly Monday morning.

8 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

I want to go to Colonial Days! How beautiful and exciting! Her dress is gorgeous and the silhouettes sound lovely, and a little awkward. You're so funny! I too am thankful for a human body warmer who isn't afraid of my cold feet. You guys are so motivating in your fitness goals! Someday . . .

Natalie Rose said...

OH, that colonial dress is wonderful! What a lucky girl to have such a creative mom! And, that moment between Gloria and Phil was the hardest I've laughed in quite a while. I love that show! Good luck with your race! Robert made me go running with him this morning and about halfway through, I came to the realization that I should have kissed my children before I left because I wasn't altogether sure I would make it back. It's been awhile...like over a year...since I last attempted jogging. It hasn't gotten any easier...imagine that. Happy very chilly Monday!

Suzie Petunia said...

That Gloria and Phil scene had me ROTFL. For reals. :) I lOVE Haley's dress! You are amazing. Truly. Amazing! And she looks so much like you at that age it is killing me. Oh, sigh. I miss you.


Go, Clark!

Spencer IS goofy. Love that guy.

mo said...

The colonial dress is very impressive and beautiful. And so is the wearer of said dress. Way to go Mom! I guess you have already figured out that the dress can be passed down to three other colonial girls. Now that makes it all very worthwhile!
I used to be cold once upon a time. I still am occasionally between hot flashes. Sigh, I miss being cold. It beats feeling like you are running a fever or have been shoved into a 350 degree oven all the time.

JJ said...

Oh my goodness! I'm dying laughing due to your Modern Family reference! Awesome! The picture was completely clear in my head. We laughed so hard.

I don't even remember the rest of your post. Sorry!

Maleen said...

Speaking of cold, it is snowing again and I about cried when it started sticking to the ground. Spring, wherefore art thou?

Haley looks so stinkin' cute in that colonial dress. Why have those gone out of fashion?

And tell Hazel, it is okay. I totally eat scraps too, although not cereal. If milk touches cereal for more than 3.6 minutes, it is garbage disposal fodder. Soggy and I don't tango.

Charlotte said...

4th grade boys lend themselves to all kinds of awkwardness. All the time.

When Peter started travelling out of town a lot in CT, I bought an electric blanket. For that exact reason!

Peter and I have been working out a couple months and can finally run without stopping almost a whole mile. I think we might be a little behind you...

Natalie said...

Oh Tawny, what are we going to do with you? Still up to your old trick are you? (wink, wink) Haley looks so cute, and seeing that funny picture of Spence makes me wish we were back in HS (just for a day or maybe even an hour or two). So great that you can just whip up a dress like that. Way to go.