Sunday, March 27, 2011

Imelda Marcos, you got nothin' on us.




And these are just the shoes downstairs! I kid you, not.
Imelda Marcos must have been hiding a few daughters in her house that we didn't know about.  That would totally explain her little shoe hoarding problem.
I look around me these days, and besides wishing that I hadn't really woken up to snow this morning (which I did), I am ready to put away the winter shoes.  Why do they take up so much more space? And why are they all over my house?
As you can imagine with 5 girls in the house, we have an abundance of shoes.  I love when we pack for a trip because I typically end up with a small suitcase full of nothing but shoes.  I long for the days of yore when you only wore shoes when you wanted to gussy up.
No. Not us.
In the winter we have tennis shoes, sunday shoes (in black AND brown, or some other funky color for that added splash of indulgence one occasionally affords to their daughters), boots for school/church, snow boots, rain boots and the extra pair or two or three of tennis shoes we have from years past that are held on to for things like "sports" and "yard work".  Spoiled much? I haven't even gotten to the warm weather shoes yet.  You would think that they take up less space but then of course you have at least one or two pairs of flip flops for each child, crocs, sunday shoes both closed toed and nicer sandals, casual sandals and why not, a pair or two of ballet slippers and tap shoes.  The saddest thing about shoes is their seeming inability to be passed down.  For that, I totally and completely blame my Dad and his most favorite and weighty word growing up, "shabby".  He worked in retail for over 30 years, can you blame the man? It has been ingrained into my brain and I have maybe even used it a time or two.  Oh, don't get me wrong, we still do "shabby", but it's not the chic kind.
I spent the better part of my afternoon one day this week engaging myself in the work of the great Spring Bin Shuffle of 2011.  It happens every six months or so.  It's a time to go through all the closets and dressers, moving out the outgrown, "shabby" (if you will) and out of season clothing into properly and appropriately marked bins...thus making room for the things being brought out of the bins.  My Megan in law calls this "bin shopping" in attempts to make her daughters more excited about hand me downs.  And they are.  My girls are always pleased as punch to wear something new, even if it is old, so to speak.  It is also a chance to weed out, yet again, a bag or two for goodwill.  The trick is doing it at just the right time.  Too late and they come home from school sweating, with multiple garments tied around their waste.  Too early and you get three little girls in skorts shivering at the bus stop in 45 degree weather.  I don't blame them-if I was given the choice of the same sweater I have been wearing for four months or a frilly pink skirt I would go for the skirt, every time.  And they do.

While doing the bin shuffle today I found 2 pretzels in a dress pocket.  Kinda gross.  Almost as surprising as the ketchup packet I found in the dryer last week...which would have been less funny except that Sho found a second one in a jeans pocket coming out of the dryer a few days later.  That would be Abby's jeans pocket.  Are we surprised? No, we are not.  I wonder if her school knows that she is hoarding ketchup packets from the cafeteria.

PS I heart the Monkees.  I mean, who doesn't? And I am proud to pass this love onto my daughters.  Our current Netflix pick is a "best of" the Monkees show.  It is just as awesome as I remember it.  And the girls think it is hilarious.
This is on the inside of one of the drawers on a dresser that I took from my Mom and Dad's house.  I'm pretty sure I know who wrote it, now I just want to know Carrie, which one was your favorite? Was it the predictable heart throb Davy Jones? or maybe the nerdy Michael Nesbit? I have to admit that though Peter was unassumingly silly, Mickey was my fave though his 'fro is quite a bit larger than I remember.

On a completely unrelated note (isn't it all?) look what I saw running through my backyard last week.  We have fox all over the neighborhood and lots of deer; tons of squirrels including a tail-less one that lives in a tree in the front yard (affectionately named "Bunny" since he looks more like a rabbit and less like an actual squirrel.) And just in case you were wondering, he still can climb trees exceptionally well.  The tail-less squirrel, not the one in the fox's mouth.  I'm pretty sure he won't be climbing anything anymore.

PPS Sometimes Sho hits me with a pillow.  And I don't like it.  Spencer made her do it (as a consequence to losing in a game) which isn't surprising seeing as how Spencer knows how much I hated being hit with pillows, snowballs, etc. growing up.  Sho, I thought we were friends.

And sometimes I find pictures like these on my camera and wonder where I was when my two year old was playing with our electronics.
The End.

13 comments:

Julie said...

Ohhhh all those shoes made me chuckle!! That is great. You are so organized, Em. Wow!

Oscarson Photography said...

A: It is your fault for losing.
B: Sho doesn't seem to mind, looking at that picture.

Suck it up, Bearkat!

Jangs said...

Hi from your Aunt in Utah who loves you. Love your blog

Natalie Rose said...

Soooo, is there a reason why the 0-3 month 3-6 month tote has a close up??? Are you trying to tell us something??? :) I'm a stickler for the details. I have totes like that in my garage, and as we were trying, yet again, to organize that catastrophe which is my garage, my husband noticed that the "girl" totes far outnumbered the "boy" totes. Hmmm
...I don't have much sentimental attachment to the boy stuff. I also found one whole tote full of 3T clothes that I didn't know I had and Miss Hazel has almost outgrown it all. Bummer, I tell you, bummer. I blame all this moving and constant shuffling. I totally hear you about the shoes, boots, footwear, footwear, footwear. My dear husband and I just had the discussions of why the kids, both girls AND boys, need both brown AND black church shoes...he still doesn't get it. I'm glad you do.

Amy Lynn said...

I love that you have "dear" in your neighborhood...animal or human kind? You are so organized that I want to just crawl under my covers and we share a similar shoe problem even though we have only 2 girls...our problem is why we seem to only have 1 shoes from lots of pairs. Where did the partners go? Especially stressful on Sunday morning...

Abby said...

you are funny. i've never seen so many shoes! i want to find out about your medical stuff. i'm looking for a DO as we speak...are we speaking? i'm medicated. i should go to bed before it wears off.

mo said...

He still uses the word "shabby." I live in fear that he will look down at my feet, clad in favorite shoes which may have seen better days, and say, "Hmm, those shoes are looking a little shabby, aren't they?" That word is the death knell for shoes.
As for your nature--poor squirrel, lucky fox.

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm still laughing about the tail-less squirrel you call "Bunny". :)

I have hundreds of pictures like that last one. They are mostly photos of the TV and Baby Joe.

I hate the shoe problem. I wish there really were "Spray-On Shoes"!

GO, SHO!

JJ said...

My favorite was Mickey because I thought he was funny but who can deny the cute-as-a-button look of Davy?!

Love the post!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i would love to snag a picture of a fox in my backyard and i like that your daughter can secretly take picctures of herself...very impressive.

Maleen said...

Yep, I was a Davy fan all the way. I didn't know those were on Netflix. I may have to go watch one tonight to cheer myself up. It was a long day with the kids and all I have to end it is 'Lord of the Flies.' Not exactly the most cheery book.

Charlotte said...

I guess I am a mean mom with shoes. They get one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of Sunday shoes, one pair of sandals, and one pair of flip flops. Anymore are considered treats. Both my girls got ballet flats this year and I felt generous.

You may need to give me remedial shoe buying lessons.

Leah said...

I love all your sock, shoe, and storage big confessions.
I relate so much. I can't wait till summer, no more socks, and sandals and flip flops are easier to store and organize than boots for sure.
My favorite summer shoe strategy:

Keep a pair of flips flops and a pair of crocs for each girl (that's eight pairs of shoes) in our smelly van, and let them just climb in bare foot when ever it is time to go somewhere, and let them figure out whose shoes are whose when we get there.
Of course it has to stop SNOWING first for me to implement my plan of attack.
I so love, love your blog!
Your have such a cheery, quirky, and honest out look that I appreciate.
Cheers