My sister Abby's post prompted me to finally just post this one that I have had in my cue forever. Abby's is way better, in case you were wondering.)
We have entered the "why" phase. I am trying to just go with it. Typically it turns into a contest between her and me to see who will give up first.
Example:
HAZEL: Mom, where we going?
MOM: The gym.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can exercise.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So my body can be healthy and strong.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can do my race.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can feel good about accomplishing something.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can feel good about myself.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can help my family be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because Heavenly Father wants us to be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because we are His children.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because he is our Father.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because.
HAZEL: Oh.
OR something along the lines of:
HAZEL: Mom,where's Abby?
MOM: At school.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she can learn.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she can grow up to be a positively contributing member of society.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she isn't a leech on society.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because people don't like that.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because it's not fair.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because no one likes a freeloader.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because it shows a lack of respect.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because that's obnoxious and no one will want to be around them.
HAZEL: Oh.
It is sometimes surprising at what makes her give up. Or maybe she just gets bored.
Then yesterday she said, while randomly helping me stir something in the kitchen,
"Mom, no more monkeys jump on the bed."
ME: Yeah, what happens when the monkeys jump on the bed?
HAZEL: They get poop on it.
I suppose this week we'll be brushing up on her song repertoire.
We have entered the "why" phase. I am trying to just go with it. Typically it turns into a contest between her and me to see who will give up first.
Example:
HAZEL: Mom, where we going?
MOM: The gym.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can exercise.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So my body can be healthy and strong.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can do my race.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can feel good about accomplishing something.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can feel good about myself.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So I can help my family be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because Heavenly Father wants us to be happy.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because we are His children.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because he is our Father.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because.
HAZEL: Oh.
OR something along the lines of:
HAZEL: Mom,where's Abby?
MOM: At school.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she can learn.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she can grow up to be a positively contributing member of society.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: So she isn't a leech on society.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because people don't like that.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because it's not fair.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because no one likes a freeloader.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because it shows a lack of respect.
HAZEL: Why?
MOM: Because that's obnoxious and no one will want to be around them.
HAZEL: Oh.
It is sometimes surprising at what makes her give up. Or maybe she just gets bored.
Then yesterday she said, while randomly helping me stir something in the kitchen,
"Mom, no more monkeys jump on the bed."
ME: Yeah, what happens when the monkeys jump on the bed?
HAZEL: They get poop on it.
I suppose this week we'll be brushing up on her song repertoire.

11 comments:
Oh, that made me laugh right out loud. I love kids.
I love how two-year-olds think. What a crack up. And that is a good reason for monkeys not to jump on beds.
So cute! I've played that game before. I'm pleased to say I've won a few times. Love the monkey underwear!
Oh my Hazel-Basil. She is a funny one, she is. What is even funnier is that her mother says things like, "Your sister is in school so she can be a contributing member of society and not a disgustingly inconsiderate leech. " Now that is funny stuff to say to a two year old!
I read that out loud to cubby and he thought it was hilar, and then boo ran in and asked where the monkeys were...
i love your conversations with h. love. i need to play with her!
That proud panties over pj pic just MADE my day.
It also entertained me that you used the word "freeloader" and she never questioned what THAT word meant...
Seriously laughing out loud here. What a funny girl! Watch out for those monkeys flinging poop on your bed!
Gotta love the "why" stage. You are much more patient than I. I get to the "because" answer a lot quicker than you do.
Did Hazel not ever ask you what a "leech on society" meant? :)
Ha, Ha, HA! That post made my morning. And, now I'll know what to tell my hooligans when they ask why they have to go to school. Watch out for those monkeys!
My two-year-old has just entered to WHY stage. I'm thinking I should feed her all sorts of philosophical answers she won't get but can repeat later. More than likely, she'll just just lisp her way into swearing. Have you ever heard a toddler w/ a lisp holler than she is "sitting right here?"
I think she just loves to listen to you talk, like we all do. And especially if you come up with great answers like that, you are bound to get more questions.
LOL! I usually end up thinking "I can't possibly answer that question" and asking "Do you mean how or why?" You have more patience than I! Sooo cute!
Post a Comment