But today I want to pay a little tribute to my own lilla mor and tell you why I love this girl so much.
She can step up like no other 9 year old I know. She has been doing it since she was old enough to pat my back while throwing up into the toilet with morning sickness with number 2. She was not even one and a half and she would stand behind me and rub my back. In fact, I can recall her running and getting me water and even holding my hair back without being asked for every pregnancy. She is compassionate and intuitive of people's needs. She is the one that will bring me breakfast in bed on my birthday or Mother's Day when Clark has been gone.
I woke up early this morning quite un-well. Without Clark available to help I was worried about getting the kids up and off to school. But I really knew that I didn't have to worry. All I had to do was tell Haley what I needed and she did it. She got up without whining. She got everyone dressed and did their hair (even Hazel, although Mia wouldn't let her touch her hair, go figure.) I made it down to the couch to supervise and watched as she got everyone breakfast and made school snacks. At one point I even heard her say very calmly "I don't want to have to tell you again". I knew when I told them as they were walking out the door to the bus stop to stay together and be safe, that she would see to it. She is protective of her sisters and she loves them.
I have confidence in her. I believe in her and I am grateful for her.
I am sure that there are a lot of things that stink about being the oldest child. But I hope that I never forget, and that she never fails to recognize the special bond that we have. She has been my buddy, my companion and my right hand man for so many years of Clark's absences.
I love her.
Mom's just shouldn't get sick, ever. But I am sure glad that I have a backup plan when I do.
Post Edit: I am feeling much better now, and no, I am not pregnant.
13 comments:
Ahh. I have tears in my eyes. (though I must admit, some are of envy. My oldest is quite the opposite, but he has other qualities...right?? Now may not be the time to go there) What a sweetie, I am so glad you have her!
What a sweet girl!
I am so glad you have her and that she is willing to help like that. Moms shouldn't get sick. It's just so hard. I'm glad it didn't last long. I wish I knew your girls. I guess blogs are better than nothing except now I know what I'm missing!
It is an amazing thing to watch your children turn into true friends. How did they come with such wise spirits? I always wonder who is learning more in these situations.
And how old do you think you have to be to stop giving the pregnancy disclaimer?
my eyes are stinging...what a lovely tribute;)
What a sweet girl. Holding your hair back and patting your back? That is such a sweet memory. I'm so sorry you're sick. You're right, moms should never get sick. It's not fair. Hope you feel better soon.
I was just waiting to read at the very bottom that you were pregnant...I was wrong.
What a sweet girl you have, i have one of those too, and man, what would we do without them?
Maybe you should be 'sick' every morning to help bring out the very best in your chil'ens. That sound like a pretty smooth morning; I'm just sayin'.
Way to go Haley!
I am so proud of her and happy for you. She can show such maturity it is scary for a nine year old. As for how old you have to be to not make the disclaimer - MUCH older! Love you.
Thanks for taking care of my sister, Haley. I love you!
I'm with Jessica...tears in my eyes because I adore big sisters that can run the world and deep sadness that if I were throwing up, my oldest child would run around the house making inapproriate comments about puke. Dare I say that oldest GIRL children are a dream? (Can I say that even thought I am one?) Hooray for Haley! I love you sweet girl...do you want to come live in Utah for a little while?
Bless the Amys, Emilys, and Haleys of the world! I was lucky enough to have two little mothers. They are worth their weight in gold. Tell the Bug I am very proud of her and that I love her for taking such good care of you and her sisters! Are you sure you aren't pregnant? It's mighty suspicious.
This is such a sweet tribute! I loved meeting your cute family in person. I feel like an honorary Ocarson sister and I think you all are wonderful! I am so lucky to have one of you right next door!
Post a Comment