Friday, October 23, 2009

Tradition....tradition!! (as sung by the cast of Fiddler on the Roof.)

I was a Family Science major at BYU...along with 45% of the other females attending there (I just made that number up.) The major had it's name changed to "Marriage, Family and Human Development" as if that could convince all of the skeptics out there that it wasn't just a glamorized "Home Ec" major.  But people, really, it's not.  I loved my major.  I loved everything that I learned.  I sucked information from those classes and lectures....I wish I could go back as a wife and mother now to learn it all again with a completely different perspective.  Boy howdy, was it useful stuff. 
Someday I want to get my certification to become a Certified Family Life Educator.  Not counseling.  You could do that too...but I want to educate before they need counseling.  It is what I wanted to do if I had gone to work "in my field." It is not glamorous.  It most likely puts you teaching community classes somewhere on a chilly Wednesday night.  But I want to do it because it is so enlightening.  They teach classes about all sorts of things; about relationships, budgeting, moral development, childhood development, parenting, all the kinds of things that are so helpful and useful and interesting.  That is what I wanted to do.  I used to know a lot of stuff.  Now I just remember that I knew a lot of stuff...and remember just highlights.  It's a good thing I couldn't get rid of my notes.  After college I took all of the notes and papers from my very favorite classes and had them spiral bound.  Over the years I have whittled down that collection but I still have some of them.  And I kept a lot of the books that I just couldn't bear to sell back for 1/4 their price and a snack sized candy bar.  The books are too good, and useful, and pertinent.  I took entire classes on things like the physiological development of the brain and how it functions, how family traditions and working together strengthens family bonds, and probably my favorite, Moral Development (from my favorite teacher ever.)  It's all there, tucked away in my brain somewhere.

So here is what I would like to talk about tonight.  Family traditions.  They are so important.  You could go buy ten books on parenting and I bet they would all talk about it.  It provides structure, dependability, trust, expectations, bonds, regularity, predictability and stability in a family.  It creates memories of togetherness.  Did you know that having family dinner together every night is one of the most cohesive things you can do for your family?  Do you know what it can do for you and for your children? A. Lot.  So do it.  It is worth it.  It is important.
And here is another idea.  It is one of our favorites.  A friend told us about it several years ago and we have done it ever since.  I haven't shared it before because I am protective of it.  It is special to us but I want to share it because it is a good thing.
It's called Rose, Thorn, and Bud.  Every night at dinner we go around the table and everyone has to share three things.  1. Your Rose: something that happened today that you loved.  2. Thorn: something that happened today that you did not like (sometimes they have no thorn, and I love that too.)  3. Bud: something you are looking forward to tomorrow.
And, everyone has to listen.  That is important too.  This is good for so many reasons.  First, it's a tradition.  Second, it means the kids have to think and be retro and introspective.  Third, everyone is listening to them. Fourth, Mom and Dad participate.  They are part of this too.  Fifth, sixth...I could go on.
So do something with your family.  Build bonds.  Make memories.  Create meaningful relationships.  Love each other to pieces.
That is your assignment.

And this is the new segment I like to call Here is what I love (and occasionally, what I don't love.)
Here is what I love:
The vibrant yellow leaves outside my bedroom window.

Honestly, I just can't get enough of this season.


Here's what I do not love:
18 month olds with pencils.


(First I call her by her whole name, then I feel irritated, then I smile inside while I am erasing it with my gummy eraser while she stands next to me and rubs the wall with a balled up piece of toilet paper and a very serious expression on her face...at least it wasn't Sharpie...this time.)

Here is something else I love:
Fake mustaches.

16 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

We've been doing the "rose and thorn" thing at dinner for a long time, but we've never used that name... or done the "bud" part. I will start doing that part though because it sounds like a great idea.

I wish I had been in your useful major instead of my slightly lesser-useful major.

Kirkhams said...

Ever since you and I did one of our combined dinners for the kids (with Jeff and Clark gone) and we played rose, thorn, bud around the table, we have done it ever since. About 8 months ago Spencer asked me, "what's your butt?" I kept saying my butt? NO let's say bum, Spence. And he kept saying what's your butt? and then I finally figured out he wanted to talk about my bud. I love that idea! So thanks, for helping us get started with another fun tradition!

Abby said...

My family is going to be emotionally retarded because we don't eat as a family. My husband just isn't home in time!!! Is there any hope for us? I like your rose thorn bud tradition and have used it...not consistantly of course bc like I said we are on a path to destruction...
But back to your wonderful, happy post--er, that was a wonderful, happy post, and I find that day to day you are a great counselor to me. Yeah, that's right--you're not getting paid, and I'm taking full advantage--sucka! Thanks fer goin to college though. That's good stuff.

michaelstubbs said...

And your girls look so good in fake mustaches, really. We rarely to never ate dinner with my dad, but we often returned to the table to watch him eat. Thanks for the tradition.

Oh, I have found that standard wipes will remove pencil marks from walls.

Amy Lynn said...

We use the rose/thorn/bud very, very often at our dinner table! You taught it to us and we took good notes because it is no secret that you know alot of very useful stuff AND you have really cute kids so you must REALLY be doing lots of stuff right.

I remember a very informative sex ed lesson that you gave Chris and I before we were married...we both left shocked at what we had learned and fascinated that my younger, unmarried sister knew so much.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fall leaves and fake mustaches. Hate pencil and sharpie on the wall!

bigskygirl said...

I love your family pictures! It wouldn't surprise me if someday you guys graced the cover of Life or some other prestigious magazine.

Thanks for sharing your great traditions. I need a little inspiration!

Maleen said...

It doesn't surprise me in the least that we had the same major. So I am very into family traditions as well, although I will have to add the Rose, Thorn, Bud.

Your girls are so adorable. Is it odd that they can totally pull off the mustache look? I can't wait to see what they are for Halloween.

Sunnie said...

i like that fun dinner table idea! such a good way to make conversation. and those yellow leaves are beautiful! sometimes i wish we had some trees like that around here.

mo said...

I iss having rose, thorn, and bud with your girls every night....sigh, I miss you, too. You are wise, and smart, and wonderful. You must have had a great mom who intuitively knew all that stuff you talked about and practised good parenting consistently....or not. Maybe I was just lucky.

Charlotte said...

I was just thinking about how big the small every day traditions end up being. We have always gone around the table at dinner and had each person tell us about their day. I like the rose, thorn, bud idea to get their minds thinking a bit more.

I hope all the rain doesn't wash all the beautiful leaves out of the trees so we can enjoy them longer.

Leese said...

what a fabulous, practical major to have. i would love to have you come and teach me a few things! We have finally been eating dinner together (for only the past few years) and do the rose/thorn...will start doing the bud! thank you for backing me up on this oh so important tradition. it's amazing how not every one sees the importance of dinner together, at a table, sitting down, with utencils and conversation! and i love the leaves and moustaches too!

Suzie Petunia said...

OK, maybe my kids don't have the attention span to list 3 whole things! I tried it at dinner and well, let's just say I hope we have better luck next time!

Jangs said...

love your idea. It is very important to do such things. Wish I had done more. And frankly the listening part is huge. I don't remember a time at the dinner table growing up that I wasn't interrupted and talked over....sorry just had to get that out....being youngest is a bummer sometimes. I love your family picture. Too funny

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i got to sit next to you in moral development and be impressed at all the insights you and alayna had. i am a big advocate of family traditions. we do a similar thing with the kids but should include the adults so the kids know we have good and bad too.

Valerie said...

Love the mustaches. I think you are raising some very silly (this is a compliment) girls. If nothing else happened in your house that would teach them to have a sense of humor and to roll with the punches, then picture-taking-sessions alone would put them on the path. So here's a question: Do you purposefully pose your very silly children, or are they silly enough on their own that all you have to do is catch the candid shots?? Based on the number of silly parent (teacher)shots you post, I believe the latter to be true. I would like to hear more about this in a post some time. . .

laurie said...

I loved doing the rose, thorn, bud tradition with your girls. We have tried it a couple of times at our house.

The mustaches are awesome!

I love your trees. Can I come see them in person?