Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why the long face?

Summer has been anything but boring, however, the blog reporting has left much to be desired. So I apologize but without further adieu, more summer...
Just kidding, there's lots more adieu. I actually am making a conscious effort to control my tongue as of late--you know, going for the "less is more theory" of my personal opinions. I'm trying it out to see if I'm more likable that way. Call if you are ever dying to hear random, useless things. Because the fact of the matter is, if you are not interested in that suferfilicity (is that a word?) I will have to call Abby or Megan...they get dumped with all of my leftover stuff that I can't say out loud because I know that they will love me no matter HOW much I talk or how awkward the things I say are (...they are both related to me.) Or least they have figured out how to set the phone down and walk away while coming back just often enough to encourage me that they are listening and validating my claims of being able to hold my breath for 2.7 minutes while I clean out old milk sippy cups and Clark's leftover lunch containers...really.
No really. Now I will just share more pictures.
Darling friends.
Fort Trumball in New London, CT. Cool. The kids liked it. The adults liked it. I learned lots of new things. However, we ran out of time before finishing all the exploring we wanted to do. The girls and I all had to go support Hazel at her well-baby checkup. Nothing says family summer togetherness like "let's immunize the baby".

Clark gave us his best Steve Irwin impression. This is snake number three that he has "handled" so far this summer...the first two were five times as thick and about three feet longer. He gets way too excited about these kinds of things...enough so that I ALMOST don't mind them, I said almost.
Family Night at a favorite park. Green, cool, grass, beach, my girls, my boy, lovely.

I finally got around to organizing and ordering my new blog books. This is all of it up to date...February 2005 to the end of 2008. I figure now that I am caught up, I will just print one at the end of each year. I love these journal type things. And thanks to my new cyber friend, I did it through a company that is way easier than Blurb.


A couple of weekends ago we went to a horse show that Clark heard about. It was in the most beautiful country...and it made me want a riding habit and tall rubber boots.

The beach. The lovely beach.

Dressing my daughters in matching outfits brings me joy. They have pushed our church time back a half hour for the summer and you would be surprised at how much time that is for us...they even got their hair done last week. And Clark wore his pink tie that we gave him for Father's Day, because he is a good sport. We were one, big, geeky, matching family. And it was sunny but look! I got to be in a picture that I didn't take myself! I knew someone besides Clark was raising these children.


Haley heard me exclaim from the porch during dinner one night that "I would give you ten bucks if you could get into that hammock." Oops. Haley is always up for someone telling her that something is not possible. She did it. And then I had to explain that sometimes adults are sarcastic and say things that they don't really mean.

On Sunday Haley asked if she could do the dishes. I almost told her, "no, I'll just do them" (because I am a little OCD like that) and then I allowed myself to stop and pay attention to the blinking, red light alarms going off in my head that said "YOUR DAUGHTER JUST OFFERED TO DO A JOB!!! SEIZE THE MOMENT!!!" And so I did. And she looked adorable being helpful. Plus it was such a rare occasion, I thought that maybe I should document it.

temporarily THE END...

(just in case you desired further clarification on this post's title, it's because I started it two weeks ago when all I had to write about was the horse show...)

13 comments:

Maleen said...

Thank you...I needed some of your good blogging.

When we went in for Daisy's immunizations, June asked probably eleven times if we really had to give her shots (sweet girl), and after they were done, I turned around and June had left the room because she didn't want to watch. I have no idea where she gets this squeamishness (says the mother who couldn't take either of her kids to the dentist for fillings last week).

Yay for your blog books and your cool cyber friend (wink, wink). I was going to do mine all in the same color, but I love the different ones you have. I may have to mix it up a bit. Out of curiosity, are your pictures all on one side, or do they correspond with the text?

I love all your matching outfits and the fact that you are in a picture. I almost never make it in, but I should not complain since I can't seem to find the time for make-up the last month or so, I should be happy to be the one behind the camera.

p.s. I can handle all the adieu you can dish out.

Jessica said...

Your girls, and you, looked adorable in those pictures! Looks like you are keeping busy this summer! It is going by fast!

Sunnie said...

oh i love the beach. i wish it was closer. also love those matching outfits! do you think i could find the boy something matching to the girls that is not to, you know, girly? i will be on a hunt. or maybe i'll just make jake and him dress the same. jake would really love that.

Charlotte said...

I have rarely (if ever) heard my children referred to as darling. Daring? Yes. Darling? No. You are always doing such interesting things with your family. I love the cute matching outfits. I could have taken some of your kids for the doctors appointment, I somehow thought it was for multiple kids.

Abby said...

I just could not get enough of this post. The beautiful people, the beautiful place...I want to go to there! Please adopt me! It's very wrong to live so far apart. Very wrong indeed.

meg said...

Sometimes I'm not very good about commenting because after I read your blog, I miss you and your fam so much I just call you and comment orally! I'm so glad you print your books - your pictures are priceless (especially the matching one - but you should've grabbed a stranger off the street to get you AND Clark in the pic). You guys are always good at getting out and doing stuff and your kids will have awesome memories for it.

Mandee said...

Sorry it's not possible for you to be any more likeable!

Berly said...

This place looks beautiful!! And I am feeling the same way about summer. LOVE it, but I am alittle behind on some things like blogging. Thanks for the info on the blog books. I need to do this!!

mo said...

Love the matching look! Love seeing you in a photo for a change. Your pics are always fun and interesting. You could have gone on for about 24 more inches of blog and it still wouldn't have been enough!

Kirkhams said...

I still have yet to do a blog book...between you and Sunnie, I'm getting more and more inspired! Wish we could have been there to hear the Steve Irwin impression. Crikey!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I, too want to know about the inside of the blog book. I like to hear your spewing on the phone, too,but you seem to be self conscious about it, I wish you weren't. Tell me more about the coordinating outifts--where? Nicely assembled, not too matchy. That is almost a cute little snake. Did Clark do the same thing with the big ones? Miss you!

Natalie said...

It was so fun to talk to you the other night. Can't wait to see you again.

Brett and Amy said...

Big fan of geeky matching -come to Spain, and it's not even geeky.