There are a several things in my life that cause me to have recurring thoughts...certain actions that elicit a memory, if you will. Here they are, in no particular order.
Every single time I ______________, I remember ___________________.
1. Write a check--Mrs Moore, my 1st grade teacher teaching us how to write out numbers.
2. Do the dishes--My Mom who I remember always doing the dishes without rolling up her sleeves or getting those rolled down sleeves wet.
3. Say something like "Bob and I went to the store"--my Dad, lovingly correcting our speech/grammar
4. Say something like "She did that really well" not "good"...people are good, they do well--my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Becker
5. Saying "excuse me" after I burp---my Mother...no matter how hard she tried I would not stop burping. I do however, say "excuse me"
6. And thanks to Laurie, every single diaper I have changed for the last four years leaves me with this thought: wash your hands in the bathroom...keep fecal germs in the bathroom and salmonella germs in the kitchen.
7. Every single time I tie a ribbon: My friend Amy taught me to tie a ribbon in the perfect way so that the ends lay flat pointing down and only the cute design side is showing on both loops.
8. My brother Chip teaching me to spell friend...E-N-D at the end, because friends, never end. (Then there was that one special spelling test where I knew how to spell mouse from all those old Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes, thanks Annette Funicello!)
*Unfortunately I will never forget the opening stanza to Canterbury Tales in Old English...its one of those useless bits of information taking up valuable and limited space in my brain, no offense Coach Easley.
I'm absolutely positive that there are more...just give me a few more days and they will come to me.
11 comments:
Every time I shave my legs I think of Aunt Boo. Always. Weird, huh? When I first started shaving she told me my legs were very smooth. I guess that made some kind of an impression on me. :)
Every time I see a bike or ride my bike, I think of riding my bike around Champions Forest Sub. By the way, soooo jealous of your falls. I love the fall.
This happens to me all the time, but my brain does not allow me to think of them on demand, only when they happen. I'm impressed you could name so many.
Now could you just teach me how to tie a bow? My husband is better at it than I am...it's embarrassing.
I'm with Carrie Ann though, I have to be in the moment to remember them.
I'm like Carrie. I am sitting here trying to think of just one from the hundred times it has happened even today... it'll come to me...
You are cute. I love your brain. I am going to think of your mom doing the dishes without getting her sleeves wet every time I do the dishes from now on.
Dry sleeves huh. I'm so glad I have passed such a valuable thing to my daughter. At least you say "excuse me" now.
Yeah, Laurie got me hooked on #6 too. But mostly I remember her words when I'm in a big hurry and wash in the kitchen instead of the bathroom -sorry Laurie, it doesn't happen often though.
wow, thats a lot of thinking i'd have to do....they taught you to write checks in 1st grade? thats advanced. now thats just silly about the handwashing thing...:)
I am totally the same way. Except that now I'm thinking about it I can't think of one single example. But I find I get nostalgic more and more these days. Is this what being close to 40 does to you?? Makes you long for the "good ole' days"??
I am so glad you and Amy think of me when you are washing poo off your hands!
Post a Comment