On Saturday we had a most delightful day...one with cooperation and hardly any whining. I love those family days where everyone gets everything done with minimal nagging and everyone gets what they need so everyone is happy. We started our day with chores then headed out on a family outing to Mohegan Park. The girls and Clark brought their bikes and I followed close behind with Hazel in the stroller. The day was beautiful and sunny but not hot. The park has a big lake, bike paths around the water, arbors and playgrounds. We had fun taking pictures and playing around.
On the way home it was early enough that we decided to stop off for dinner at the Mohegan Sun Casino. There are a couple of huge casinos in the area that have lots of restaurants...and if you go early in the evening its not filled yet with bizarre people and cigarette smoke. The girls were begging to go to the child watch so after a little deliberating Clark and I decided to indulge in the rare opportunity to have dinner alone (with the exception of Hazel.) I like to call the child watch the "Junior Den of Iniquity". It's like a casino for kids. It's filled to the brim with free arcade
A good day.
.............................
As long as I'm making a request to bring back the barter system, can I also make overalls cool again (assuming that there was a time once when they were cool?) I miss them...I don't miss seeing other people wearing them so much as I miss wearing them. And while I'm on the subject of outdated fashion statements (or understatements as the case may be) I get scared sometimes because I will look at someone and think "oh, I like that...or ooh, he's cute" but in the back of my mind I am registering that it is most definitely NOT cool. It's then that I realize that my "coolness" standard is still set to what was cool when I was a teenager, or preteen. For instance, I can watch Saved By The Bell and think that Zack Morris is so cute. The front of my mind is agreeing while the back of my mind is gagging.
I cried this morning while watching Savannah Smiles with my kids. Is it possible for them to like the movie AND realize what a bad idea it is to be intentionally kidnapped by two men? This is my dilemma.
And this is why life is occasionally going to be rotten for my 4th born, 4th girl. Yes, those are her toes poking out...and no, she is not even too long for that particular outfit, its just old. Poor baby. Don't
14 comments:
those pictures are sooo cute! and that park looks beautiful! and Hazels little toes poking out of her feety pajamas is too cute for words! miss you guys! :)
What a fun post! I love days when the fun keeps going past what you expected. I have to say I do not miss wearing overalls because they made going to the bathroom too complicated. If you want to wear them on days you never leave your house, I won't tell anyone, though.
I love those kind of days. I have never heard of this kid zone place, I will need to get details.
I have to confess, I thik I have cut the ends off of footsie PJ's before so the kids can still wear them. Does that make me lazy or pragmatic?
PS You are great at making those crazy photos!!
The day sounds lovely. You need a few of those in each summer. Actually, the Jr. Den of Iniquity sounds kind of fun. About the overalls, I never had a pair that didn't give me a wedgie. Am I long in the torso? I don't know. Anyway, I don't miss them. I agree with K.--too hard to go potty in.
I too cut off the feet of footed PJ's when they were too small of had holes. The boys thought it was funny and still wore them. And your day sounds beautiful. I love fun days like that.
You watch Saved By the Bell still? hee-hee!
When I got my maternity clothes out of hiding this last time, I saw my overalls and thought of you. I probably bought them because I saw you wearing them and thought they looked cool. Sorry to say, I didn't wear them this time around. . .
By the time you have your fourth child of the same sex, it's pretty hard to find the clothes without spit-up stains or holy feet. Makes me think I should have bought more NEW clothes for the third boy baby in our family. Then I wouldn't feel so guilty about buying new clothes for the fourth. . .
I wish I could take my kids to the Junior Den of Iniquity sometime. Sounds wonderful! (The quiet dinner with my husband, that is!)
What a great day, I wish I was there with you. Have a great trip! Love you, MOM
I tried looking up Jr Den of Iniquity online but apparently Satan's Lair Casino has a different name for it. Glad you enjoyed Mohegan Park.
Overalls are definitely cute. You didn't miss the era - you just got old. It's hard to make boys like Zack Morris like you if you look 8. But since you already snagged Clark and Zack is stuck in detention, put your hair back in ponytails and go for it.
step away from the overalls!!! I like the baby toe...you didn't have to throw them away, perfectly useable otherwise.
Sounds like a great family day! If I were one of the girls I would pick the Junior Den of Iniquity also. Sounds better than sitting at a table with mom and dad.
I dreamed I was wearing overalls last night. I vaguely knew that it wasn't "right" but I was comfy. I think overalls are fine if you are actually working, so go ahead and wear them around your house, in your yard, just make sure to put your sweatpants on before you go to wal-mart.
Oh, perfect day. You need those once in a while to keep sane. It reminds you why you thought this job was so great to begin with.
I love the casino babysitting service! Brilliant idea. Can you just stick your credit card in somewhere and let the kids stay for a couple of days? Just wondering...
I love the Zac Morris comment. The other day it was on like at 5:00 in the morning (don't ask)and Saved by the Bell was on TV. I thought the same thing. Wasn't he cute - and than I had to laugh to myself.
You cracked me up with the Junior Den of Iniquity. That sounds like a good time. I never knew these places existed when I lived in Connecticut.
I haven't worn my maternity overalls this go around. They are in the D.I. box. I just can't bring myself to wear them. But they were mighty comfy. I don't do enough work to justify looking like a grease monkey minus the grease.
Post a Comment