Saturday, August 30, 2008

Haley Bug

Haley Johanna
August 30, 2001
8 pounds, 15 1/2 ounces
21 inches long

After 7 years of being a parent it never ceases to amaze me. Who are these children? How is it possible that we are capable of creating such a human being?...and the scarier thought "we've been influencing her for 7 years!!". I was lecturing her just last night (about the time they start whining about being in bed) that she has been a big girl going to sleep in her own bed for 7 years! and suddenly I realized how old she really is.
Haley is such a special girl and not just because she was our first.
One of my most memorable and poignant experiences of my life happened right after Haley was born. It had been a long day of contractions and waiting. When it was finally time to push things got crazy and chaotic. The final stage of labor lasted for three long hours of pushing and frustration. There was a lot going on in the room when she finally made it; the doctor working and multiple nurses rushing around getting ready. After they finished up and took her away to the nursery with Clark I was so exhausted and overwhelmed I fell into the hardest sleep I've ever experienced. When I opened my eyes a few hours later the room was clean and perfectly silent. I was taken back by how calm it was, the lights were dim and I looked over toward the window where my darling husband, a brand new father, was rocking our sleeping newborn in his arms. I will never ever forget how peaceful and happy I felt at that moment; how becoming a mother and having that experience had changed things...and how at that moment I realized that the most valuable things that I will ever have in this life were all in that room, right then. I have had special experiences for all of my kids' births but that one will stand out from the rest by comparison.
She is one of those personalities that can be seemingly difficult to get along with until you stop and realize what a strong individual she is...that her traits and will is something to be admired, and not fought. I have no doubt that great things are in store for her and she will charge into them head on. I see a lot of her Dad in her.
She is so responsible. I make a lot of people uncomfortable when I hand the baby over to her. She is capable and so nurturing. She has a very soft spot in her heart for the safety of her little sisters and takes her responsibility very seriously. We can't go anywhere in public where she isn't worried and concerned for where they are and what they are doing. She knows how to make a bottle and change a diaper. She knows how to buckle Mia's crazy puzzle car seat.
Clark reminds her all the time that her job is to make her sisters happy and she tries.
Clark and I let her stay up late last night and watch a movie with treats...she was so happy to be spending time alone with her Mom and Dad. I finally tucked her in around 11pm and promised to come back in and tell her exactly when she was 7 (she was born at 11:20pm) When I came in and whispered to her that she was 7 a silly grin crept across her face and she paused before saying hesitantly, "I didn't feel it." I feel it, and I am so grateful for this beautiful daughter that was the beginning of the rest of our lives.
Happy Birthday Haley Bug!

15 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, beautiful blog. I love that Haley bug with a passion...she is beautiful both inside and out. She is strong willed and independent and fiesty and wonderful. All qualities I love and admire so much about her! Please give her big hugs and kisses and tell her how much I worship and adore her! Happy Birthday sweet girl!

Sadie Lou said...

Haley is so beautiful and one of the cutest babies i have ever seen! i can't beleive she's seven and her strong will and big heart is one of the things i admire most about her! Happy Birthda Haley Bug!! :)

JJ said...

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter! I so enjoyed reading it and it almost brought me to tears. I love that you spent that special evening with her. I'm going to have to steal that idea. Happy Birthday, Haley!

meg said...

You make me cry - and I've heard that story before! So sweet, so special. I wish we were there to celebrate such a big day! Maddy got very sad yesterday when I told her that it was Haley's birthday. She wished she was there and said how much she missed her. Please tell her.

TD said...

Happy birthday, Haley! I loved the tribute, and I like the idea of a special night with Mom and Dad.

Natalie said...

What a sweet tribute to your little first born. You love all your kids, but that first experience is like no other. Can't wait to see her.

Jenny said...

Haley, I love you so much. I am so proud of you. You are such a special girl. Have a very Happy Birthday! Love you,

Carrie Ann said...

Happy birthday to my sweet, sweet buggy-boo! I LOVED spending time with you at the reunion. I miss you so much and wish we could live close and hang out and do fun auntie/niece dates. You are becoming such a wonderful and lovely young lady. I love you very much!

Suzie Petunia said...

Happy belated Birthday, Haley-bug! What a sweet and responsible oldest child you are! AND you are gorgeous to boot! Waverly loved playing with you at Mo's and misses you. We all miss you! Happy Birthday!

mo said...

We are in the midst of such chaos that I forgot to call Haley Bug but tell her how much we love her and miss her. She is a great oldest child! Happy Birthday Bug!!!

Rynell said...

Wow. That birth story made me cry. What an amazing 7 year old!

Happy Birthday!

Charlotte said...

She is such a sweet girl. I can relate to that feeling when you see your husband snuggling your child for the first time. Happy Birthday.

Mandee said...

Even though we never lived by you long enough for Haley to remember us, I will forever remember her and the joy she brought into my life. Happy Birthday Haley!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

oh, i've got tears....what a cute comment from her as you told her the time. and so great that you had such an amazing experience at her birth. i need to cry at a birth in order to feel like a good mother...maybe next time. no this isn't an announcement. i love that she changes diapers:)

laurie said...

Happy Birthday Haley!
You are such a cute little - I mean big girl. I can't believe how big you have gotten.