Monday, May 12, 2008

Semper Gumby

We're moving!!...just kidding, no we're not...wait! yes we are...no, maybe later...OK, for real this time...oh, fooled you again.
OK, we really are...maybe.
Clark used to tease when we were first married that the Navy's motto is Semper Gumby, meaning "always flexible". (You see, the Marine Corps motto really is Semper Fidelis, "always faithful". So do get why that's funny? I think he's funny.) Oh how true that is. My Mom made me count yesterday how many moves we have made since beginning his time in the service 8 years ago. I counted 11. Eleven times that we have organized, packed, driven, found a place to live, made arrangements, started utilities, changed addresses, unpacked, set up, lived, packed up, turned off utilities, driven, found a new place to live....and on and on. That's a lot. And it feels like even more since involving kids in the whole ordeal. (I'll save the many many many conversations that my husband and I have had and will continue to have about the mass quantities of little girls' clothes that we move each time for another post...I like to remind him that this is just the beginning...wait until they have a say in the matter...clothes, shoes, purses, accessories...my head is spinning, where was I? oh right, close parenthesis.)
Anyone in the military can commiserate with this kind of lifestyle. Where the Navy is concerned, you can count on the plan changing a minimum of twice during the time of transition. I can't think of one job or assignment that we have had that hasn't changed mid-planning at least that many times. So we roll with the punches...sometimes with a smile, sometimes with a nervous laugh, and sometimes with our hands in fists. It's like the navigation system in a car. If you don't turn where it tells you to, it simply recalculates the route automatically and goes from there. And so we do just that. I can't tell you how many times in the last two months Haley has told her teacher at school that we are moving. I can't be sure but her teacher might think she has a lying problem because of this. I typically like to tell people things in advance so they can prepare and plan...this, I have learned is not such a great tactic. Mostly it just makes us look flaky (unless of course you have the privilege of being raised a military brat and then you just recalculate and go from there...in that vein, we have a whole new definition of "military brat"...sometimes we all are just that.)
Anyway, I digress...or maybe I'm moving forward...I don't really know anymore. The timing of Clark coming to get us and take us all back to Connecticut has changed probably a half dozen times. It is following an unpredictable "planning" conflict at work. One week they say he can go at "such and such time" then a day later that has changed...that has happened many times. He has asked and emphasized to those in charge at work that he needs at least a week or two notice (since we have to do some car maintenance and buy plane tickets, oh and pack 6 months worth of stuff...and prepare emotionally and physically to leave our home of 6 months with adoring grandparents and family before being ripped from their clutches--don't misinterpret, we are really excited to move to our new place and actually be WITH Clark again...remember my OCD tendencies toward preparedness?). But today he calls and says, the new plan is "I have to come in the next 48 hours or else the end of June". Recalculate. Try not to panic. Smile, maybe even chuckle nervously. Eyes flicker to my "to do" list. Get distracted with happier, easier thoughts. Think about blogging...google pictures of flexible people...laugh even more and be a little grossed out...back to thinking about moving. Call my Mom and Dad. Cry without meaning to. Back to thinking about moving. I'm gonna need more bins, quickly.

Sempre Gumby.

Did I mention I can't even touch my toes?

The kids on the other hand, are rather bendy.

21 comments:

Brett and Amy said...

I'm impressed you took the time to blog. You may not be able to touch your toes, but it sounds like you are quite bendy, wether you like it or not.

Kelly Mo said...

I feel your pain! Andrew and I used to call it, "Navy Drama." A transition between jobs was never without its fair share of drama. So, what is it? 48 hours, or end of June? Good luck!

meg said...

Good for you! Just keep picturing yourself two weeks from now - happy, settled, and snuggled next to clark and staring into eachothers eyes, telling eachother how the time apart has only deepened your love and appreciation - and then the baby will cry and Abby will need a drink of water...

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

Seeing we're Marine Corps -- I Love the Semper Gumby (it's even funnier to me because Jason's boss-lady is a total Gumby freak and doesn't know life without being flexible to the whim's of Military CO's.)
Anyway, I hope you all DO get to GO and be together. I think it's great you've had the time to enjoy your family, but I'm betting your husband's going to love getting ALL his girls back.
Good luck, and may no one sneeze to hard to cause another wind of change so you can get on with gettin' on 'Home'. :o)

TD said...

I am happy that you get to be with Clark, I don't know if I could do it within 48 hours. Good luck. See you soon with Jenny.

Oscarson Photography said...

(parentheses, see Family, close parentheses)

Jessica said...

Do you need help packing...I could bring my kids, and they could help unpack everything you just packed.
No really...I can help..

Sadie Lou said...

emily you are sooo funny! i cant wait for you to visit! i miss those girlys sooo much! and that is a very funny picture! and i love how mia has no pants...thats awesome! :)

Suzie Petunia said...

So that's it? You're moving, like... tomorrow?? You are amazing. I really, really mean it.

Abby said...

Ha! And I called mom today stressing about a tiny scheduling conflict all the way in August! Once again, you win. Bless you, good woman. Close your eyes and jump, and it will all be over soon. Before long you will be in a normal life with a normal schedule, and you'll be posting pictures of the fourth of July in Boston...with all those cute matching outfits and ribbons and bows. Breath.

Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh, you're a stonger gal than me =] I've just moved a few times in my life and it was to, like, the next town over. heh.

Sunnie said...

fun posts to read! you really are a good writer. i feel like you are always entertaining. sorry about the moving and not moving stuff. that would be a bit frustrating. hope it all works out! and your girls are so cute as always. love the dresses below. target?

Sunnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suebee said...

You posted on Monday, it is now Thursday night. If you can let us know, where are you now?

Emma Jo said...

I am still in Utah. Clark and his Mom are here. We are tying up loose ends and getting ready to go. He and his Mom pull out with the older girls on Sunday morning and I fly out with Hazel on Sunday morning to go through TX and then meet them in Connecticut.

Kara said...

ha ha. I know this is probably really stressful for you but you still managed to be really funny! You'll be fine, you always are my friend! Good luck and happy travelling.

Amy Lynn said...

You are very bendy...what a fabulous word that can encompass so many things! Seeing you today was wonderful and holding baby Hazel and kissing all those beautiful girl cheeks...I hope you know how much I adore your family and how horribly I'm going to miss seeing you on a much more regular basis. Dang it...got something in my eye again...gotta find those tissues.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

those kids are bendy...so you're movin out now? so are you in texas now? for how long???? do i need to make a day trip tomorrow???
k

Kristin said...

I'm SO glad I got to see you while you were here! I hope the Happy Family is happy to have you back, and you enjoyed your little visit in texas.

Wendy said...

I love how you took the time to write a witty post WITH a picture when you have SO MUCH packing to do. You must be a pro by now. Happy adventures!

Natalie said...

And I've been complaining b/c Matt's been in NY for 2 weeks. Like Abby said...you win! You are amazing Em and I love you! Not to repeat everyone's comments, but I too would be more than happy to make a day trip to see you! :)