Monday, October 22, 2007

Living in a van down by the river...

My family is now really living in a van down by the river...or more like living out of a van by the river. The packers have been at our house for the last two days. The truck comes tomorrow morning to take it all away and deliver it to storage for the next 6 months. I have been relatively "cool" the last few days...kind of unusual for me. Our packing crew is funny and capable (except for the one child molester who stays under my watchful eye...creepy man). They worked so quickly that they have been done by 1 and 2 pm yesterday and today. We have moved to the hotel for the next three nights before heading West.
I am full of mixed emotions. Glad to be leaving our house...sad to be leaving new friends and fun playground out back with kids always willing to play and get filthy in the dirt...happy to be going to family...sad to be saying goodbye to part of my little family...so happy when I drive down the road and see fall all around...sad to be leaving New England...happy to be moving closer to Sonic...sad to be moving my children again. This feeling of transition is the worst. I dislike staying in hotels and trying desperately to keep tabs on precious blankets and stuffed animals (they were each allowed to bring 2 along for our stint in UT.) not to mention clothing and shoes, hauling dirty laundry and keeping kids happy with nothing to do. I just want to skip the next two weeks and feel settled into the new norm. All in good time. I actually have been rather proud of myself in thus far being able to keep perspective and not panicking or being too stressed...yet. Clark is scrambling to finalize lots of plans and details before his departure.
So as it becomes increasingly late on the day two of pack-out, the thoughts are 'randomizing'.
The next 6 months are packed in our van, we can see the river from our hotel...all we need is some fast food containers on the floor, a shaggy rug, tacky seat covers and little custom curtains in the windows...where is Chris Farley when you need him?

16 comments:

Jessica said...

Good Luck!! I don't know how you do it all! Give us a call when you get settled..or better yet, give me a call when you help with the kiddies WHILE you get settled.

Suzie Petunia said...

You are doing amazingly well for someone in your "delicate" condition. :) Seriously, I would be institutionalized by this time if I were you. I'm so proud of you. And I miss you. And I wish I could somehow help. We're trying to figure out how we can come see you while you're in Utah. Maybe Christmas. Maybe.

mo said...

I would be there to help if I could. I wish I could transport you all here in an instant so you didn't have to make the monster trek. Just keep thinking...it could be worse...think Willie and Martin...snow in Wyoming...no van, with or without shag carpet...yeah, it could be worse.

Oscarson Photography said...

i wish we could be there to help keep the girls busy. you could hire out Sheauxs help if you like! good luck, our prayers are with you.

scraphappymama said...

Wow, Emily I can't believe you are doing this while being pregnant. I am assuming you have some great Zofran to get you through these days. I hope your hotel stay is quick and enjoyable. Have fun treking to the West!!

michaelstubbs said...

Sorry that it's such a challenge right now. I didn't realize that you were moving again, so soon. Where to? I hope to see you at your mother's house.

Sarah said...

I have to admire your strength...I think I would just cry all day! You'll have to come down to NV and visit Abby while you're in Utah.

Kristin said...

Living in a van really is a dream of Aubrey's... actually, she wants to live in an RV, but that's close enough... every time we pass one, she's like, "see that? that's where I want to live!" Yes, she is the daughter of a couple of Chris Farley fans.

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you in the upcoming little while.

Abby said...

The only thing that could worsen your state is if someone called amidst the stress and reminded you of all the mean things you did and said to her in your childhood...what a bonehead!

zippity-do-da said...

Being in a hotel always makes me want to wash my hands. You are getting to be the Queen of transitions! Just makes sure to reward yourself with the royal treatment you deserve: route 44 limeades, nights at Mo's, and all the twix ice cream you could want. If you can't have Clark- you can at least have chocolate.

Sadie Lou said...

me too! i always have mixed emotions about stuff! i can never decide on just one thing! and i love to read your blogs! i check them on like a daily basis! and i can feel it. you won't be writing for a VERY long time! but that is ok i will get through it:)....hopefully!

Sunnie said...

good luck with everything. i really am happy that you are going to live with family. that will honestly probably be a really good thing. i hate transition time, also. there's something so nice about being settled.

Rainie said...

You have such a good attitude. Thanks for always making me laugh with every post.

Jangs said...

Yeah you are coming to us. WE look forward to seeing you more often. Tell Clark thanks for keeping us all safe and sacrificing being with his family. We are grateful. Good luck to you

Christy said...

I love that Chris Farley sketch. I know what you mean about the moving. I both love it and dread it, there is something nice about starting new again... and sad. I have moved 26 times in my life but never when I was pregnant.

Suzie Petunia said...

Are you there yet?