Friday, October 12, 2007

The brood

Every year or so I like to make an entry in my journal-a description of each of the kids. I am anxious, as I have been since before they were born, to watch their personalities and character, to see how it evolves, what changes, and what stays the same. They fascinate, they frustrate, they amaze, they entertain, they annoy and they love. They are easy going and fairly well behaved. I don't prefer to, but am not afraid to take all three to the mall or the store with me. I like to have them around and I miss them when we are apart for school or a trip. I love when strangers comment on what a hand full just so I can say "we love it" or "they're good girls".

Haley maintains her place and status as eldest child. She is quick to follow the older neighborhood kids around but when we're at home, she is the natural leader. When she is not bugging them, she is coddling her younger sisters and loves to help "mother" Mia (way more than Mia would like). Several weeks ago I was having a morning sickness moment and throwing up in the sink downstairs. While the other girls stood by and watched, on her own Haley ran and got me a cup of water (which she has done several times) and then ran back to where I was and held my hair. How did she even know how to do that? Sometimes she is so thoughtful and compassionate that it makes me want to cry. She loves to be praised for her accomplishments and still loves to climb in our laps and cuddle. She has a missing tooth that was knocked out on her cousins head but is excited to have her first real loose tooth now. Haley has always had a lower raspy voice and I get asked all the time if she is sick. I love it. She is sweet and funny and smart. She loves that she can read chapter books and begs to take them everywhere with her. She bites her nails constantly so I never have to cut them. She likes to help and be the biggest sister.

Abby is just a silly girl. She is the most spontaneously entertaining out of all of them. She has had dimples since the day she was born and is such a goof. She has developed a disturbing taste for mixed Ranch dressing and ketchup--and requests it with nearly every meal. She leaves her bed a mess during the day but cannot lay down to go to sleep until all of her blankets are folded and in their place at the end of the bed, and her stuffed animals lined up biggest to smallest. When we check on her before we go to bed we usually have to cover her up with something and put her shirt back on (that is a recent habit, we're not sure why she takes it off because its usually chilly in their room.) She loves to make people laugh but doesn't do silly things necessarily for other people. She does does it to entertain herself but is completely tickled when other people find her funny. This girl does not sleep. She would go and go and go until the sun came up. She climbs into our bed 99% of the time and is so cuddly and cute it's hard to kick her out. She has smiling eyes like her Dad but difficult hair that she doesn't like to keep done up. She also hates shoes and especially socks. She is shy but friendly. She also loves to cuddle up in our laps. She is just likable.
Abby's voice is high and cute. We repeat what she says all time just because its so funny--hopefully we're not causing any kind of complex.

Mia is a lot like Abby but in her own unique way. She is silly and goofy and has dimples too. She's a bright girl and has started talking much earlier than the other girls so we have fun teaching her new things to say (ie cheese-burger and fo shizzle) When she talks she is very slow and articulate, pronouncing each syllable clearly and deliberately. She can keep up with her sisters and tries very hard to do everything that they do. She also knows that as the youngest of three she has to defend her territory and does so mercilessly. However, all you have to do is ask her 'please' in a sweet voice and she'll give you anything that she has. The girls love to baby her and she lets them, most of the time. She has the worst hair to do of anyone with cal licks and crazy swirls all over the place. She is also a self proclaimed vegetarian and refuses to eat nearly any and all meat placed in front of her. She used to be an angel sleeper but life in our current home has hindered her ability to be so easy going in that area (ie sleeping in the "dorm" room with her sisters...very distracting.)

It's hard to imagine how the addition of another little squeeze will change the dynamics of this family but we have learned and loved so far.

18 comments:

Kristin said...

How fun to get a glimpse from your perspective on your cute little girls. The pictures are way cute and the post was fun to read.

Abby said...

Oh, how I love those girls! The offer is still on the table, you know...that offer where I asked for one of your children...

Jessica said...

How fun to read about the girls! They are beautiful girls.

Sadie Lou said...

you can't write any more of these blogs any more! b/c every time you do i end up crying and missing them more then i did before! i agree with every word you said. they are all freakishly adorable(in a very good way) in their own unique ways! :) i love them to death!

Sadie Lou said...

please as soon as you read this call each one of them into the room and give them a big squeeze and kiss for me! kk you better do it:)

Oscarson Photography said...

ok, if Abby gets to keep one of your children, could we have the other 2? Don't worry, we'll moved right next to Abby&James so that they can still see each other and grow up as sisters:)
oh, and make sure you check out Spenska's flicker. Some of the touched-up pictures are posted now. Your family is so beautiful! -Sheaux

Christy said...

That was really fun.

The non meat eating is interesting; my dad's mom, her sister and one of my sisters are vegatarians because meat grosses them out (not because they love animals.)

mo said...

Isn't it amazing that kids from the same gene pool have such distinct personalities? Don't give Abby any...I get all three soon!!!

Kara said...

I loved this. And by the way, I love what you did for the girls' and I admire you for your courage and strength. I could never do what you and Clark are doing!

Suzie Petunia said...

We quote Abby, too! You'd be surprised how often you can say "He don't got no legs!" Yesterday I saw a minivan at Costco getting its tires changed, and I couldn't help but say, "It don't got no wheels!"

Rynell said...

I just love to see their distinct personalities! What a fun read and they are adorable too.

Mandee said...

What a great tradition and one your children will love when they are all grown up. My grandma kept a jounal for me and I still love to read the accounts of what I was like when I was younger. What a great mom you are.

zippity-do-da said...

Can't get enough of those kids. Maybe we can follow you around the world- just to watch you family grow. How bout it Mo? I would have never guessed my big bully of a brother could have such a fantastic family of females.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i got teary, too...love to see the picts:) a daugther to hold your hair back while you puke? that is compassion.

Kirkhams said...

Oh, Emily...I loved this post!!! I think mostly because I miss your cute little girls and I can picture them doing the things you're describing! We want you to COME BACK!!

scraphappymama said...

What a cute post and a great idea. I should do a post like this sometime too.

Rainie said...

Such a good idea, I need to do this myself. I wonder what I was like as a kid. My mom should have done this too. Now your kids will always know.

Amy Lynn said...

I love your girls so, so, so much! Truly. They are unique and amazing and smart and funny and I feel truly happy when I am around them. It does my heart so much good to know you will be HERE for a few months. I can't wait.