Monday, March 30, 2020

I've always wanted a farm..

Moving back to Virginia more than 3 1/2 years ago brought a lot of changes and adjustments with it.  This is the longest we have ever lived anywhere and it feels kind of weird.  We were in the Navy for so long, we were accustomed to the way things worked.  Then Clark worked for a huge corporation, an adjustment for sure but easy to go with the flow.  Clark now works for a small business that he will eventually co-own.  It's completely new territory and I have to say I'm still not completely adjusted.
Last fall the current owner bought a farm.  Long story short, we now are co-owners of a farm.
The previous owner left behind 120 acres, a house, a barn, tons of "stuff", a horse and a pig.  He tried to give us the horse for Christmas and after a very, super, decidedly short period of consideration we decided that we don't need a horse can't take care of a horse and don't want your stinkin' super old horse.  Which was a good call because after a few more weeks the horse was put down...literally, in the middle of the field.  I guess we didn't realize that when a vet puts down a horse they don't actually then take the dead horse with them.  Clark called me from work one day to explain that he was googling how to bury a dead horse with a forklift and a backhoe.  Needless to say, his job is certainly interesting.
But I digress.  The farm is about 45 minutes from where we live and while we have only seen it through late fall and winter, it is beautiful and big and the perfect place to escape when there is a pandemic happening...

Clark and the kids (and myself on occasion) have spent many many many hours out at the farm already.  He takes the older kids out to work and play and the family goes out to share some sky and fresh air.
We have had fun taking friends out there to play.  The house sits on the river that runs along the edge of the property.  There are fields and woods, fruit trees and a small pond out in front of the house.  This little boat is one of their favorite places to play.  They drag it across the grass and even got brave enough to launch it into the water last week and pull it along the shore, keeping a wary eye on the hole at the bow.
There are four wheelers and a pig...everything you need to have a fun day at the farm.  They have built a firing range among other things...
We took the Larsons out there in February and even though it was very chilly we managed to have a lot of fun, especially with the extra toys that they brought.  Kastell and I begged the children to stay out of the water or else they would be freezing and wet all day...the two of us were soaked in the first hour.
The boys only want to play on the dirt which is just fine with me.  They put on their rubber boots and play for hours.  Last week I set up a chair and just watched boys be boys.  They usually have to strip to their underwear for the ride home.


And Rocket, he is in farm heaven.  He LOVES the farm.  He can run and play and explore.  He stays pretty close and when he gets tired he hops up onto the polaris and takes a rest.







We rarely go out there without working a little too.  There is always something to be done.  I love watching my kids work.  It's part of that daydream about living out in the middle of nowhere on a farm.  Their rubber boots kill me.  And their dirty jeans and cute little faces.
I pray that no one gets hurt every time we go out there.  So far Mia is the only one to flip a vehicle and luckily they weren't hurt so while it is always fun I come home exhausted from worrying just a little bit about where everyone is and what they are doing.
I look forward to seeing the property in full Spring mode even though we had a little introduction into the bugs this last weekend.
In any case being out there is quiet and still and I love it.
Everyone should have a farm.
The end.

1 comment:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, you bought a farm{ that's fun{{{ part owner...animals...very fun. I love that you're bringing back the blog also, now to backtrack on your posts....