Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Part II I suppose, of that vacation that happened a long time ago.

For your viewing pleasure, Hazel in a crib.  Yes, she is six years old.  Yes, she slept in a crib when we were in Colorado, and she loved every moment of it.

So remember that time when I said "I give you the remainder of summer" and then I went back and posted stuff that happened before that?  That was awesome, cuz its happening right now!!
I cannot possibly leave out the rest of that summer vacation up North because it was one of my most favorite family memories ever.  It was a trip I was looking forward to because it seemed the quintessential "family vacation".  You know, the one you remember as "how things were".  You all pile into the family vehicle, drive a long way, someone barfs, you have an awesome time playing with cousins and then you drive home?  It was all of that and more!  It has been years since we have taken a long car trip for something as fun as a family vacation.  So we did it.  And I'd do it again.  I mean, we WILL do it again.  As in, next summer.
We left lots of days open on the schedule to just hang out in Utah.  My parents and three of my siblings and their families live in Utah.  We played.  And it was delightful.

 We went and met Mo at her office one afternoon along with some of our cousins from the Scharman side who had not been through the Relief Society building in Salt Lake before.  If you've never done it, do it.  It fun and interesting and beautiful.  Ask for Mo.  They probably won't know who you are talking about but it could be fun :)
We took a little tour through their museum downstairs and I made my Mom pose next to pictures of herself because I think its funny.  And awesome.
She took us up to her office and let us sit on her comfy furniture and of course her lovely and delightful assistants provided us with patriotic cookies.
And then she brought us into the boardroom and sat everyone down.  It was memorable and fun.  She asked the girls opinions on some things and then she taught us around that table about the most important things to remember that will help keep them all on the right path and close to their Heavenly Father.  It was very sweet and I was very grateful to have had that experience with so many sweet women and girls that I love.
Mo and my Megan-in-law - it's like worlds colliding except that they are worlds that already know and love each other, which makes my little universe a pretty sweet place.
We took the kids for a visit with Grandma Green.  How I love that lady.  The older I get and the more experiences I have, the more I see the influence of these women in my life.  She is such a stalwart example and I admire her and love her! And I will say it again and again, if I could have her health and glowing skin at 80 something, I'd take it!
On the 4th of July (which just so happens to tie for my favorite holiday with Thanksgiving) I took the girls for their first pedicure.  It would have been more awesome if we hadn't gotten caught in line behind a ginormous family reunion of ladies with special requests.  The girls had fun though.
Then we met up with the whole Oscarson clan at a park in Daybreak near my sister's home.  We ate and played and sat around and played and talked and played and basked in one another's presence.  I sure do enjoy my family.
 We visited BYU campus and marveled at how long ago I was there and how nothing looks the same and how college students don't even blink an eye when "old" alumni come traipsing around campus with their hoards of kids.  I love it.  And Jonah loves Cosmo.  Go Cougars!
 We had dinner at the ever delightful home of my brother and his wife.  Again, perfection in company.
We took the opportunity to open a time capsule that my Mom has been hanging onto since 2000.  I was only slightly disappointed that a puff of dust didn't burst forth from the opening can.  And the surveys that we filled out were kinda lame.  Apparently all the names I liked at an unmarried person were dumb because we didn't use any of them.  And furthermore, my favorite activity of January 2000 was kissing my fiance.  

Cousins, cousins and more cousins.  On 4th of July evening after our picnic and romp at the park we watched fireworks from the bench in South Jordan.  We were simultaneously watching a dozen or more shows all along the Wasatch front.  It was pretty darn awesome.




And that sums up our time in Utah...next installment, about our trip to Yellowstone happens....now.

No comments: