I recorded the royal wedding. So sue me. I wanted to show all of my daughters the girl who rode to her wedding in a car, got out in a gorgeous (modest) dress, got married to a prince and left in a horse drawn carriage. I mainly watched it in fast motion because holy moly, the ceremony was long. What an exciting event. And I have to say that even though I know things are not all happy cheery perfect, they sure have the acting with class thing down. I dig that.
My greatest conclusion from my viewing though?
America needs to wear more hats. Boy, do they ever.
My greatest conclusion from my viewing though?
America needs to wear more hats. Boy, do they ever.
12 comments:
I recorded it, too and then fast-forwarded through most of it. I have to agree. We do need to wear more hats but they need to be beautiful hats, not odd hats. (Some of those hats were odd)
Agreed. Hats MUST come over here. And not just for the Kentucky Derby!
Same thing for me. I recorded and watched it with my girls. We did fast forward alot, but couldn't fast forward some of the important things like her dress. Wasn't her dress beautiful?! I loved it. So classy and elegant. Beautiful!! My girls loved all the men in uniform, carriages, and her earrings. It was a great thing to watch. And, I say yes to the hats!!
Robert and I caught the end of the ceremony this morning after our run...so beautiful...and, amen to the hats. We watched the Kentucky Derby every year while I was growing up because my dad trained race horses and I've always held much admiration for the hats. Americans need to get more classy!
On a different note, did you notice the rogue cavalry horse who lost his rider and forged out around the carriage??? The camera quickly cut from the scene, but Robert thinks someone won't be part of the royal cavalry anymore...poor rider! :)
Oh, it was such a princess-glorious day! A long train, a tiara, a prince...but did you catch the poor soldier who got bucked from his horse during the carriage ride to Buckingham Palace? Horse bucked the fancy-schmancy soldier right off and took off on his own down the road. It was really funny...and not very regal.
Sad. I don't have TV anymore so I couldn't watch it. I guess I will have to go find pictures of the dress...and hats.
Whoa, wait! What was that one princess wearing? Was that supposed to be a hat? That weird bow thing on her head?
I showed some clips of it to my boys and they played it the rest of the day. Michael was Prince William, Sam was a guard on a horse escorting the carriage and he called me Kate Middleton for an entire hour while we got strange looks in Walmart. She was so elegant and they really look happy, which is great.
I forgot all about the ceremony until we turned on a PBS for the grumpy 2 year old like every morning, and there was BBC with live coverage. We timed it perfect.
I love hats, and once in awhile will wear one, saying I don't care if it looks wierd and out of place in our modern American culture...but of course I do!
I'm also glad that at least some people in the world realize that modesty is classy and that no matter how expensive the dress or who the designer may be, strapless looks hoochie. About the hats, I have no problem with wearing hats, but were some of those bizarre contraptions really hats? Especially the one worn on the forehead that looked like something from a Dr. Suess book. I kept thinking of the Emporer's new clothes story. I can hear the designer saying to her (was it Princess Beatrice? Can't remember) "trust me, this is fabulous" all the while thinking, "I can't believe she is buying this buch of bologna!" But what do I know, I wear the same outfit everyday and own several baseball caps!
I thought the hats were definitely entertaining-- no doubt. Some of them looked like a furry animal perched on the side of their heads-- I couldn't believe some of those contraptions.
I was enthralled with the wedding in a very girlish sort of way-- I loved her dress and just how pretty and normal she seems. It was kind of fun to see some regal frivolity in a world full of turmoil and sadness at times.
I think we should have a hat making party, then have a party to wear the hats to ;)
Post a Comment