Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Smeaster.

Easter smacked me upside the head this year.  I just wasn't super ready.  We were finishing off a week of Spring Break where we had literally just taken turns being sick, me being the grand finale...the kind where I didn't rest once during the whole week since I was trying to entertain kids and make the most of their week off...therefore making my illness last a full week instead of 2 days like everyone else.  I still don't feel over it, but maybe that's just because now I am "recovering the house" from having everyone home 24/7 for an entire week.  In any case, I do love spending time with the girls when I am really making effort to "spend time" with them.  They make fun, wherever they go.
 Doesn't Hazel have the most squeezable looking face? Kinda makes me wanna go upstairs and wake her up to take that face in my hands and just kiss 'em...almost.  And those other girls...is it normal to wanna cry every time you see a picture of all your daughters together like that?
 We had some friends from Connecticut come stay with us at the beginning of the week.  I am too lame to have taken any more pictures than this but at least I got one! We were foolish enough to go downtown during Spring Break.  I mean, I sooooo know better.  But we went, we saw, we came home and relaxed.  Thanks Carol and boys for coming!! It was so fun to see you guys!
 Remember how I mentioned our skitso weather? On this particular day is was quite chilly and our stay at the farm was brief....but long enough to visit each of the animals and touch lots of dirty things.
 I was particularly taken by the litter of piglets...do you call them a litter? Well, there was a litter nonetheless.  I wish I had taken a picture again a few minutes after this when they charged their poor mother laying on her side...they attacked her underside with such voracity that her back was banging up against the back of the stall....and it continued on like that for quite some time.  Again, I would have taken a picture but I was a little horrified but how "un-cute" those rotten little piggies were being.  And the mother, not saying one darn thing.
No manners at all.
 We dyed eggs even though no one but me eats them...and I kinda have to force myself.  I did make up a big 'ole bowl of potato salad to eat at every meal since I am the only one that likes it.
 We had a lovely lunch and egg hunt at the park with friends on Saturday.  Hazel's mouth was stuffed with chocolate from Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon.
 Having children stinks because it is near impossible to find matching buckets to add with each child you birth.  I scored this year at Target with these adorable little things. 
PS I love my cricut.
 And remember how I mentioned that the shipping date changed for the Easter dresses that I ordered four weeks ago? I got them in the mail today.  The girls will feel all pretty and new 2 whole Sundays in a row.  The first ones I ordered were clearance, non returnable type.  So being the Type A mother of four daughters that I am, I went out on Thursday and found four matching dresses (in do-able sizes, amazingly enough on clearance!) and cute-ified them.  I took off their funky little flower things from the shoulder and added some of my own from fabric that they each picked out from my little stash.
It all worked out in the end and only cost me a few run-ins with the hot glue gun.

Post Edit: I feel a little sheepish now having sat back and read my own words that I failed to mention anything about the real Easter.  A few years ago I was inspired by sister in law Megan's idea to do "Funny Bunny" day on the Saturday before, getting it all good and partied so that I feel good on Sunday about just sticking to the real Easter thing.  I grew up doing our big family get together and hunt on Sunday, I don't have a problem with all that but Funny Bunny Day is a tradition that we have adopted and come to look forward to.  We obviously have no qualms about participating in all the commercial celebrations throughout the year-they're fun and there's nothing wrong with that.  
So there is my two cents about the real real Easter.  I love it a lot too.

12 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

You are a whiz - how old am I?- with the glue gun! I think it's totally normal to cry when looking at pictures of your kids all together, especially when they look all shiny and full of promise and you don't have to look for it through the dirt and matted hair - oh, wait, your kids ALWAYS look adorable! I hope you're feeling better soon. And now I miss Frying Pan Farm. There's nothing like that around here even though I'm surrounded by actual farms; oh the irony. (So happy I got to use a semicolon; they are my favorite.)

mo said...

Cute cute Easter basket/buckets, cute flowers on dresses (can't wait to see the next set), and REALLY cute girls. You are just surrounded by cute. How do you stand so much cute? Do your teeth just hurt all the time?

Unknown said...

I am wavering on getting a cricut right now. I have birthday money put aside for it and am just wondering how much i will actually use it. Do you use yours alot???

Emma Jo said...

Shauna, I use my cricut probably once or twice a month for various projects. It is a lovely, fun thing. I got mine right after Christmas one year during a great sale. It can do a lot of fun things!

Charlotte said...

I always tear up when I see pictures of all my kids together. Good job getting something together for Easter dresses when the original plan fell through.

katyvee said...

Oooh!! So many posts I got to catch up on!
Your girls picture makes ME want to cry.. so why wouldn't it YOU??
You are creative and crafty and funny.
Just sayin'.

Abby said...

So stinkin' cute! And they truly are lucky little girls--and will be lucky big girls. They are so pretty and fun and I LOVE the dresses and buckets and Hazel's happy face.
When do we get to come visit?

Suzie Petunia said...

I have yet to see a picture of all of my kids that makes me want to tear up. But by all means, go ahead. They are darling! I love your creative ingenuity. And I can't wait to see other dresses that finally arrived!

JJ said...

You are too creative. You make me sick. Why can't I think of amazing things to do like matching dresses with individually-unique fabric flowers? Is that a talent you receive when you have four girls?

Maleen said...

I love the Easter buckets, those are the cutest. And I am super impressed you found four matching dresses ranging so far in size. I admit that my middle three had matching dresses and then oldest and youngest just got something else.

I forgot to even take pictures of them, and I don't really want to dress them all up again. And this from the photography mom. Oh well, one of these days.

And that first picture almost makes me want to cry. Your daughters are gorgeous.

Amy Lynn said...

When I see pictures of my kids altogether I get overwhelmed. Is THAT normal? Your girls are DARLING!!!! And I LOVE their dresses with the matching flowers all over the place. Gorgeous.

Carol said...

Yeah we made you blog!! Thank again for having us! We had a great time!
The girls dresses are so cute...I wish I had just an ounce of your creative talent!!