Monday, February 15, 2010

Calgon take me away.

Tonight I had a moment.  Let me set the stage.
Earlier today I had urged Mia to stop tapping me frantically on the arm when she needs my attention (a conversation I vaguely remember my own Mother having with me when I was young.) I think I am actually getting bruises from her "attention-getting-tapping".  It hurts.  My upper arms are tender.  I asked her, ever so kindly, to maybe just place her hand on my arm, or heck, even give it a little rub when she needs me to look at her.
So back to tonight.
I was standing at the sink doing dishes after dinner, Mia was violently rubbing my forearm waiting to tell me something, Haley and Abby were seeing how many verses of "Down By The Bay" they could come up with and the almost 2 year old was playing the recorder like an injured wood nymph as she stumbled around the kitchen in her completely unsnapped overalls.  I was successfully numbing my mind and concentrating really hard on ignoring it all.  Right about the time that Mia rubbed a hole in  my shirt I snapped out of it and suggested that they hop upstairs and get ready for bed.  Usually when I am making a conscious effort to stay patient I end up sounding more like a seriously repressed hippie on Valium, talking in a delicately hushed voice while squatting down and stroking their hair..."OK, darling, that is a lovely song, but maybe you could run along and get your pajamas on.  That's a good girl" while waving at their backs and quietly calling after them to "be sweet!" But I did it.  I feel so accomplished when I can make it through a circus like tonight without losing it.  So maybe I read a couple of extra stories to Hazel when putting her to bed...how could I not?  I was sitting in a quiet room with an overly comatose-like tired baby willing to cuddle on my lap while the other girls did something relatively quiet someplace else.  I milked that moment for all it's worth.
It was funny though.  As I was staring blankly through the dark window over the sink, wasting all sorts of water, I was telling myself to go to my happy place.  Ironically enough, my happy place was precisely where I was, only quieter, and a little cleaner (and about 20 feet over from where I was standing at the sink, to a nice comfy couch...maybe with a book, or a warm body to heat up my cold feet.) Heck, my happy place could even include my kids as long as they were doing something quiet-ish  and not slowly rubbing the hair off my forearm.  I had that reminder earlier today when driving my brother and his wife to the airport after spending a fun weekend with them.  I remember a family that we were friends with way back before we had kids.  They had four kids, totally energetic, fun and adorable.  We loved hanging out with them and babysitting but their house was nuts, loud and constantly moving.  When we would leave their house we would get into the car, shut the doors and sigh at the stillness.  My brother pointed out that even though our house is equally crazy and actively loud, it only takes a day before they are missing the girls again (I know, a whole day? Shame on them.)  I realized that it is the exact same with our situation now and with just about everything else that is difficult or challenging in my life.  The things that are the most difficult are also the most worth it.  The things that push me the hardest are the things that I want the most...and I wouldn't be capable of doing them if I didn't have a desire to be where I was.  So at least I know that I am where I want to be.  It's a reassuring thought because let's face it, the nitty gritty of the day to day can be awfully distracting sometimes.  So even though I have had a horribly unproductive week of mismanaged time and funky schedules, I will keep at it.  Because at the end of the day, the week, the month and the year I will regret nothing more than not taking advantage of every waking moment of my life.
So eventually they did get into their pajamas and possibly even got all those teeth brushed.  Then after they maxed out their "Olympic watching time" for the evening I listened to Haley's newly composed song "You're my wiggly tooth of happiness" with choreographed dance steps by Abby and loved them all over again.

 
  
 

20 comments:

Oscarson Photography said...

For us without the kiddos, spending time with your family brings an amazing amount of fulfillment. Sho says she doesn't need the typical 12-hours, she misses them all already. I have to admit, I would have loved a good hour or two on a playground with them before we left.

The new sidebar looks marvelous... if I do say so myself.

AMIT said...

The little kid picture is so cute.Thanks for sharing.

Web hosting india

Charlotte said...

I love this post. I have been thinking about these things a lot today and you have written them wonderfully! I LOVE the picture with the feet hanging over the bed. Adorable.

Stephanie said...

Charlotte sent me this way. I can totally relate to your "patience persona" and I love your photos.

Lucky Mommy said...

That was so encouraging. You are a great example. I'm sure facing the next span of single-parenthood is daunting and tiring. You indeed have a lot of patience, and at bedtime too! My patience is gone by about 3pm. I am glad you got some quiet time reading stories. And, I love Hazel's dress. I bought one for our baby girl but she'll have to wait a year to wear it! There was something familiar about it like a sort of 70's Swedish dress. Fun to see you liked it too. Keep up the good work and thanks for reminding me that the kids are the actual reason for the craziness and it's all worth it.

Amy Lynn said...

You said it perfectly. Just got back from a long weekend where we all lived in the same hotel room for 4 days...it was the best of times with moments of pure insanity. Even during the hard moments, I agree with you...I wouldn't change it for the world!

How did I miss out on the cute red dress? Where? How? Must have one...thank you.

Maleen said...

Yep, you are right on all counts. I am really needing this reminder at the moment, especially as I plan to up the chaos by one.

I think I need a yogurt.

Kimberly said...

Did you ever find the missing pink shoe? I see a pair in that picture. :)

Mary Sunshine said...

Beautiful post! Beautiful pictures! Beautiful kids! Thanks for sharing.

Abby said...

Oh how precious and telling that last picture is--it is perfection, from the 4 sweet pairs of legs and shoes to the state of the bedroom floor. Perfection--way to capture real beauty. It seems like it's always the very hardest days that I can't wait to put them down--that I later go in when they are sleeping and just miss them already...go figure. It's a tender mercy, no?

meg said...

I'm with ya', but I feel my stage o' life shifting just a tad. I just hope I like the next one, too.

We need to finish our phone conversation from today. I just have so much to say! So let me know when you have several hours free...

mo said...

Perfect post, perfect pictures, perfect daughter.

Unknown said...

Great photos...the one with the shoes is fantastic! Just says it all it one shot of shoes! And all the photos of the girls (along the side) are great too...awesome how the personality of each one shines through in the photo....You most certainly have a talented photographer in the family!

Good to hear from you last week...thanks for the tips on the rag curlers! Cathy

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I love colorful shoes. Just got myself a hot pink pair today.

Lisa said...

Emily, thanks for sharing. I feel this way all the time. I also thought I should say hi - I'm spying on you today! Take care!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rynell said...

I concur! It's hard, but it's so worth it and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else than with my chaotic family.

Brett and Amy said...

Love this post and the pictures. Especially the foot one.

NatureGirl said...

Very sweet post. I too get quite irritated at the attention tap...and I have a pick of just my kids' feet...all in their Chucks...only the feet are a bit bigger than yours...Thank you for sharing.

Cynthia said...

I love this post (I found you via the MMB). I am #2 of 5 girls. To this day my sisters are my best friends. How fun for your daughters to have the special association of sisters.

And your blog header photo is the funniest I've ever seen! LOVE IT!