Saturday, August 08, 2009

"My voice is my passport...verify me."

-Werner Brandice, Sneakers

Whether you believe it or not, I am an optimist. Usually when I am being negative it can be blamed on one of two things, sarcasm or good old fashioned hormones...or fatigue (OK, that was three things, so sue me.) Give me any situation and I will show you the silver lining or at least try to bring a little humor into your hum drum life. If you haven't seen this side of me, dig beyond my daily correspondence, it's there.
I love humor....someone's sense of humor can absolutely make or break it for me. My husband is hilarious and silly. So is the rest of my family...my siblings are some of the funniest people I know and thinking about them makes me happy. I have such silly pictures of my parents that I wouldn't dare post on the internet for fear of tarnishing their credibility as upstanding, responsible citizens...which they TOTALLY are...they just also happen to be really funny too. Not to leave out my in-laws either...I mean, my husband wouldn't have turned out so funny if they weren't entertaining as well. And as I like to say, my kids are funnier than my husband and me combined which is ironic because they are my husband and me combined.
I realized just yesterday, as I lifted up my daughter to smell her rear end, that I really find my life quite humorous. And that is a good thing. Not to say that I make light of my life, but I can almost always find the humor in it if I try.
I recently bought a tin plaque to hang in my kitchen where I will see it everyday. It's a quote by Abraham Lincoln that says "Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be." I believe that and though I have spent many hours, days and sometimes weeks wallowing in a problem, I have come to truly believe this. It is tough, and sometimes I just plumb don't wanna be happy...but the ultimate end is that we get to choose our attitude. I have always understood quite clearly that we don't always get to choose what is happening in our lives, but we ALWAYS get to choose how to react to it (at least after an appropriate amount of time to adjust.)
I have confidence that everything will be right in the end. I don't mean to imply that things will turn out so perfectly as we thought, but I know that
when the dust settles, life will go on.
I am grateful for that perspective. I like to think that is what real faith is...truly believing that all will be well no matter what exactly that is. I have known too many people that have come through unbelievably amazing things to not believe that philosophy to be true.
So take a moment to accentuate the positive, show some gratitude, tell a joke or laugh at yourself. You will feel better, I promise. (But if by chance you need a little help, give me a call and I'll tell you about the time and circumstance in which I had to call my sister to come over to my house at 9:00 at night to help me remove my daughter's nightgown from my body where it was cutting off the flow of blood to my arms. Good times.)
Don't be too confused...this is not my child, but it WAS indeed our naughty spot...available to any child or parent in need.

Abby with her cousins circa 2006.

10 comments:

katyvee said...

EXACTLY. Us Jolly chicks have often been accused of having hidden saratonin (perhaps not spelled right.. but ya know the stuff, right?? The feel-good juice??)drips attached by I.V. somewhere on our persons-- because of our abilitity to just be O.K. with things.. and for the most part, unusually chipper to boot. (Perfect example: My moms reaction to finding she had cancer in her skull-- "Well at least it's not in my BRAIN! Just my skull.")
I've often wondered how much of it is learned behavior.. and how much is just our chemical make-up.. but either way-- I'm glad to share it with ya.. and grateful for whatever the forces are that have brought me to react to most of life with a "we'll figure it out.." attitude. I think when it comes down to it.. no matter what the trial.. fretting, stewing, and stressing about it-- USUALLY won't affect the outcome one bit. So why not giggle a little in the process?? Happy happy day to you.

Sadie Lou said...

You humor is one of my favorite characteristics. I depend on it. I do think a big part of it is learned behavior. Grandma Pete used to tell 'naughty' jokes and we al would go -
GRANDMA! and then giggle. And everywhere my Dad went he bought little plaques like, "Women faults are many. Men have but two-everything they say and everything they do!" They still are all over the house. We love to laugh-ha ha ha. Love you. love mom not sadie:)

Jessica said...

I was crying I was laughing so hard at that last picture. that is so great. I love this post..thanks for the reminder!

Charlotte said...

Your kids are pretty funny. I think your posts are uplifting. And hilarious. And I will call you next time I need a happy fix. I need to start keeping a list of things you allude to on your blog that I want to ask you about in person.

Natalie said...

And that is why you and I became friends and sisters, Tawny. :) Love you!

Amy Lynn said...

I love the movie Sneakers. And I love the confidence of your little girl who ties a skirt on for an afternoon walk that leaves her darling bum hanging out.

You and Abby have the most fantastic senses of humor...enviable, delightful, hilarious senses of humor. It is a gift to be able to see things the way you do and be able to react and handle situations with the ability to find humor and laugh. It is one of the personality characteristics I admire and love about you.

Can you think of some way to lighten the mood regarding how large my upper thighs are?

meg said...

That's why I like you! I'm using you for your sense of humor. Just thought you should know. But that's for the laughs! You're a kick in the pants.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I regularly wish I were more funny. It just isn't my gift. Can one learn to be more funny? Once again, thanks for being my friend despite our differences:)

Suzie Petunia said...

Just one of the many, many reasons why I love you so much.

Ok, its mostly why.

mo said...

Your philosophy is a very healthy one and will get you through a lot of tough times with your sanity. Thanks for not publishing the photos of us....we need all the credibility we can get.