Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Good Day Sunshine

We were ready...
2nd grade and Kindergarten, here we come.
The day started with a song...Good Day Sunshine...the Beatles blare and I rouse sleeping children. They were cool as cucumbers.
Spiffy new clothes...no stains...crisp, clean shoes...gleaming.
I heard one small "I'm just so nervous" and that was it.

Going...going...


...Gone...


"I miss my sisters...so much"


And home again. All is well. They have decided to go back tomorrow.


**And more to come...our five year old finally concedes and rides a two wheeler.

18 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

Could your girls be any cuter? I think not! Haley looks just like you at that age in the first picture. And they are holding hands... so cute. And Mia misses them... And you made fresh baked cookies for them after school. You are simply awesome. 15 minutes before my kids got home (also their first day) I considered making cookies, then I pulled some ginger snaps out of the cupboard and arranged them artfully on a plate. And that, my dear, is the difference between you and me. :) Please don't ever mention to my kids that some get yummy, warm fresh cookies out of the oven! They would want to divorce our family and move in with you.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

adorable girls, adorable outfits, adorable hand holding, love that cupcake backpack...I gotta get alyssa one for her school. mia crying is great--did you pinch her or is that real? You making me those same yummy looking cookies? Cookies EVERY NIGHT!

laurie said...

Did you get the tradition of the cookies on the first day of school from me? I think I would have a mutiny on my hands if they came home on the first day and didn't have hot cookies. I will confess this year I used the pre-made dough from Nestle because I was having too much fun shopping while they were gone :)

Roemmele Family said...

What a fun post. I love Mia's crying face. :o) Isn't it that the love comes out when they are gone then the fighting returns when they do?

Rainie said...

So Cute!! I love the hand holding, riding the bus, darling outfits and backpacks, homemade cookies and crying Mia, as mentioned earlier - my kids would also want to divorce my family and move in with yours. What a great mom you are!

Julie said...

That crying picture is so sad!! Sam would relate to her!

Oscarson Photography said...

Mimi~! I know an aunt that would hold and comfort you all the time until your big brave sisters get home!

Oscarson Photography said...

and Hooray for Bug finally getting a courier bag like she has wanted. How exciting!!

Jessica said...

Cute pictures. Jared cried too when Seth left. He asked "what am I going to do the Whole day without him?" Oh, they do like each other. And, those cookies do look yummy!

Twinlinebackers said...

We bloggers are so pathetic. Our 3 yr old crying, skunks in the kitchen, and all we can think is "grab the camera! this would make a terrific post!"

At least it wasn't you crying on the front porch. I hope you enjoyed your time all to yourself. When I have only 1 kids, my dh always asks if I enjoyed my alone time so for you only two kids should count as along time.

Lucky Mommy said...

That is so sweet! I love that you made it such a special day. Poor little sister left at home. When will Hazel be able to play dress up? You're a great mom! Happy 1st day of school.

mo said...

The picture of Mimi made me want to cry, too! She looks so sad! I can just hear her say, "I love my sisters!" I hope they are still loving it all. They look so grown up!

Sadie Lou said...

oh my goodness this is kinda weird that im a little sad that they are so big and going to school and lookin so stinkin cute! i just LOVE LOVE that shirt haley is wearing! and i LOVE LOVE abbys backpack! that is like the most adorable thing i have ever seen! no like seriously!! SO CUTE! IT MAKE ME WANT TO CRY!! and i was there when you guys bought those clothes...sniff sniff...but sooooo cute! :)

Sarah said...

What cute little ones you have. Mia looks so sad...I'm glad hey had a great first day. Does the bus pick them up at your house??

Charlotte said...

Good luck getting into your school routines! If you need to cheer Mia up, let her come over and play. As long as you don't mind messes too much.

Rynell said...

I want to cry with Mia. My youngest started preschool this week and left me all alone. My first reaction was tears, just like hers.

(Then I took a lovely nap.)

Thunell Family said...

Emily! So great to hear from you and to see your darling family! I am so happy to see that you all are doing well, and I can't believe you have a 7 year old!...a beautiful one to boot! I'll trade some peaches for those cookies!! Love you!

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, happy first day of school. I love, love, love first day of school. Everything is crisp and shiny and the whole adventure seems so exciting. How did things go the second day? I've got to blog about the day I had to manhandle Matt in front of the kindergarten door while he screamed bloody murder and I tried to get him dressed. That was so not a pretty day. But the first day was great! Happy back to school!