Sunday, June 15, 2008

Big Foot Crossing


We finally have the majority of the house put away, even all those messy memories (though we spent way too long today reminiscing about Clark's middle school days and looking at yearbooks that made me feel embarrassed). Anyway, things are put away enough that I feel relaxed enough to do other projects, chore charts, schedules, lists, lists, lists, etc.
On Saturday we went on a family outing to the Providence Zoo. Besides lots of trips to the public restroom it was a fun day. On a side note, Mia is potty training. She has a quirky novice's habit of taking off every piece of clothing to use the potty (not so convenient, or clean in a public restroom). She also calls her underwear her "unders". Ask anyone who knows me, I hate potty training and I'm not so good at it. But who can resist a tiny two year old bum in really padded underwear? But she stayed dry all day at the zoo. Way to go Mi Mi. She especially loved the elephants because her favorite movie is Babar...don't run out and rent it, its horrible and irritating but it does have songs...no wait, still horrible and irritating.
And a updated picture of 2 month old Hazel, just for the record. She had her two month well baby checkup and all is well. She weighs in right at 50th percentile. And with the exception of the bright green diapers and touch of colic she is adorable and a good baby. She really doesn't cry horribly, just a couple of fussy times a day. But she does get so stiff that we have taken to calling her 2 by 4.

I have developed a disturbing fear of driving at night in Connecticut. Remember my fear of the dark? Pair that with narrow, winding roads through heavily wooded areas (like all the roads you have to take to get anywhere...) beautiful during the day, scary at night. Clark and I call these kinds of roads "Yetti Road" because its precisely the type of road that you would be driving along at night and a Big Foot would step out in front of the car. Last night I was coming home late from somewhere and it was rainy with a heavy mist rising off the road. It was a scene straight from "I Know What You Did Last Summer". Horror movies always take place in New England on these kind of roads. So when I find myself driving along I like to picture Harry to avoid being too freaked out...but then by association I think of John Lithgow and get freaked out all over again. Maybe I'm a city girl and just didn't know it. Also I think we have a mouse hidden behind our cellar door. Clark informed me that he "evicted" one once before but it may be back. Not cool.
Happy Father's Day to all you procreating and non procreating men out there. Clark got shortchanged with nothing but a bowl of cereal and a bagel for his fancy breakfast in bed. Curse 5 girls to have to get ready for 9am church. Sorry Clark, we really do love you and I think we made up for it at dinner. We all ate so much we feel like a couple of pythons after their annual meal. We are laying motionless on the couch and ending the day with a little Transporter. Clark is so much cooler than Jason Stathum...except he can't win in a fight against 10 men without his shirt on.

*I
totally forgot that I did redeem myself this Father's Day and got Clark the coolest present ever! He was made a happy man this Thursday when we received four half gallons of Texas' finest Blue Bell ice cream in the mail. He has been known to take us all to Outback Steakhouse just to enjoy dessert where they serve Blue Bell (all over the country). He just loves the darn stuff. We are making it last as long as possible and not doing a very good job. It has to be said that their Southern Blackberry Cobbler is to die for but take advantage of it now because its seasonal.


And if you are still hanging around, here's a little Hazelnut action. She is stingy with her smiles but still as cute as ever.

18 comments:

meg said...

Those pictures of Clark with the girls need to be blown up HUGE!! They are the best. Your family is SOOO photogenic - lucky.

Sunnie said...

love all those cute girls. and i love the video- babies are too cute. it was fun to hear your girls playing in the background. our houses sound so much the same. good luck with potty training. i hate it! and i would be scared on those roads at night, too.

mo said...

You had to go and make me homesick for all of you all over again, just when I was getting so I could go into the girls' room upstairs without crying. Thanks a lot! If you think that driving on those NE roads by yourself is scarey, try being the passsenger in a car with a student driver just learning to drive on those roads. Oh my goodness. I saw my life flash before my eyes everytime we passed a mailbox with Ceeb. Hazel is just getting cuter and cuter. She really looks a lot like Clark--good thing he's cute! I loved listening to the girls playing in the background....okay, getting misty again....

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, i didn't realize that outback had blue bell all over the country...I am going to have to run out and try that blackberry cobbler, now. I don't know how you come up with your metaphors, but it sure makes for an interesting read...and you have a cellar? sounds mysterious. You need to take picts or do a video of your house so we can get a feel for it. And I get scared driving at night, too...I can't imagine dark windy roads. I liked thinking of "hazelnut" as a 2x4.

Jenny said...

Loved the pictures and video. Good luck with Miss Mia. She is so cute about the whole thing; she is hard to resist. Loved listening to Haley and Abby is the background. A real slice of life. We haven't tried the Blackberry Cobbler-it is hard to find down here! Love you.

Jessica said...

What cute pictures. You did good with your choice of Father's day gifts. I always have such a hard time coming up with something cool, that won't cost me half our savings. So I usually just get something dumb.
Good going on the potty training. I am dreading that with my next one coming up to that stage!

Mandee said...

How did you get ice cream through the mail! What a great wife! Dallan flew to Texas on father's day and when he arrived he had to tease and taunt me that he would be eating at Red, Hot and Blue. Now that in and of itself is a great reason to move there! Adorable pictures by the way.

Abby said...

Could that little girl be any CUTER? She is so pretty. I agree she is a Scharwoman, and now I want to see baby pics of Abby bc she reminds me of her. I love everytime I see Clark surrounded by all those girls--it warms my heart! What fun you all have! Kudos on a good father's day gift. Most of James' gifts were also edible, and I promptly helped myself...which reminds me, I need to go replace a package of E.L. Fudge cookies today...
Congrats to Mimi on a dry bum! (And to you for having the strength to potty train with a [slightlty] collicy newborn!)

Abby said...

Could that little girl be any CUTER? She is so pretty. I agree she is a Scharwoman, and now I want to see baby pics of Abby bc she reminds me of her. I love everytime I see Clark surrounded by all those girls--it warms my heart! What fun you all have! Kudos on a good father's day gift. Most of James' gifts were also edible, and I promptly helped myself...which reminds me, I need to go replace a package of E.L. Fudge cookies today...
Congrats to Mimi on a dry bum! (And to you for having the strength to potty train with a [slightlty] collicy newborn!)

Sadie Lou said...

and yes 4 whole gallons of blue bell would make me absolutely extactic too! and i miss you guys soo much! i am coming i really am! and hazel is sooooo cute!! :)

Sarah said...

You guys seem to have so much fun as a family! I love that Clark is willing to be goofy with his little ladies. Hazel and Ryan will have to meet someday. I am sure they would be fast friends.

Suzie Petunia said...

Oh, my! Hazel is simply adorable! She's at the perfect age for those adorable smiles and "coos".

Suzie Petunia said...

Doesn't the "Yetti" live in the snow in the Himilayas? (I learned that from Monsters Inc.) I think what you meant was Sasquatch, which as everyone knows, lives in the Pacific Northwest. So clearly you have nothing to be afraid of. :)

Kara said...

I just love those pictures of the Clark with the girls. And I love hearing the conversation in the back ground of the video...classic.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! That was my idea!! But you're welcome nonetheless!! Hope it was good:) And this is not Marisa, its the Beef Cake!!

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, darling, darling, darling. The pictures of the girls and Clark are delicious...and I have a huge, achy pit in my stomach for Hazel. She is getting big and she is awake and talking and smiling. Sigh. I miss you...all of you and your 4 "appendages".

Berly said...

I haven't had Blue Bell IceCream fo soooo long. That stuff is so good. I love the picture of Clark with the girls - so fun and cute. Also, that road looks beautiful, but I can only imagine it at night. It would freak me out!!

Natalie said...

Clark..if you're reading this, you have got to be one of the luckiest, happiest men alive! What a blessing! Em, you are amazing, and have such a beautiful, lovely family! You go girl! :)