Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Feeling sensitive this week...

Yesterday at the library the librarian in our very tiny children's section told me "your children are so well behaved...you are doing a great job". I told her "thank you" and left but instead of being happy about the compliment I started thinking. Does that mean when my kids are not well behaved people are judging me and my abilities as a mother? Hopefully this reminds me (and others) to not always tag a parent's ability and progress with how their kids are behaving. It's not fair, or accurate. I don't really want to go into it, just thought I would mention it, especially in light of my sister's recent experience at her public library (grrr.)
On a really fun side note, my little sister Abby had her baby on Monday. After spending 9 months being told and expecting her second boy, she had a GIRL!!! I think the shock of the surprise is slowly starting to melt away but they still don't have a name. Just look at that darling baby! What a fun surprise!!

8 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm still a little sheepish about showing my face at the library... but I'm mustering strength.

perry ann said...

I just read Suzie's post and I'm so uppalled. Shame on the library, and I'm proud of her for writing the letter. She should mail it to the library and the city manager. Love ya'll!

Natalie said...

What a surprise! That is so crazy, I guess you really never know!

mo said...

Love the new polka dot look! And just so you know, I have seen your kids at their worst and their best and I KNOW what a great mom you are!

Lucky Mommy said...

Your new blog is so cute! Yours is the second new background I've seen today. It must be like spring cleaning for blogs. School is out and everyone is changing things up. We would love to see you for the 4th. We have plans for fireworks that evening, but that's the only thing we have planned for the entire weekend so let us know when you'll have some time. How fun! We found a Sonic on our way home from the beach and I thought of you and Abby loving to go there in Houston but I couldn't remember what the best drink to get was so I got a limeade. Pretty good.

Twinlinebackers said...

Suzie's librarian aside, I think when kids are misbehaving, others judge the mom, not on how the kids are acting, but on how the mom reacts. Kids will always act like kids despite our best mothering attempts but if we respond with patience and love (We are all the epitome of love and patience right???), then we still come off as good parents.
I am rarely appalled by the behavior of other children in public; but I am occasionally disappointed in the yelling and belittling I see from other moms.
Your kids are so dang cute I think even if they were being terrors other people would just think, "Oh what pretty dresses and cute bows on those darling girls". =)

Oscarson Photography said...

I know how rowdy and disobedient your kids can be and I still think you are a great mom.

Hurry up and come down already!!

Amy Lynn said...

I have totally decided to live my life and leave everyone else's lives alone. I can't always apologize for my kids...they are their own persons and I have finally accepted that my control over them is limited. They are what they are and if I want to be completely honest with myself, they are alot like me.

And if that doesn't work and they are acting up, I just look at the person and say, "Foster kids. What can you do?" Then I'm back to being the hero!