Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Big E gets a big F



You win some, you lose some. Last weekend we joined some friends and took the girls to Springfield, Massachusetts for the Big E, New England's county fair. So, being "New England" and all, I went expecting this:




And instead, we saw more of this:

















Where was the apple cider? the bales of hay and pie contest? OK, New Englanders, we'll give you another chance but we have learned our lesson. The food was good but it did cost us two children, my arm and Clark's leg. I suppose we learned that carnivals are the same no matter where you live. What a comforting thought, that I can count on the carnies the same in Massachusetts as I can in Texas.

14 comments:

zippity-do-da said...

I am definitely cured of any desire to go to the carnival. I thought Texas had the corner on mullets. It's comforting to know that I'll find them everywhere.

Mandee said...

Sounds just like a carnie in Charleston, South Carolina that I once went to. Was there a hypnotist there and did Clark volunteer to "go under"? If the pictures you posted were truly what you saw it was worth the price of admission!

Sunnie said...

i love love love the mullets, especially on the little girl. and i've seen a pregnant belly used as a resting spot for food, but that picture of that lady is just disturbing!

Abby said...

Those pictures were pure poetry. What more can I say?

mo said...

Maybe there were a bunch of Texans there that day all hoping to find the REAL New England and instead they all just found each other. I don't know....I just read here.

Carrie Ann said...

My goal is to gain enough weight so that I can eat out of my cleavage. Or maybe I'll get a boob job to that I can do that...

Jessica said...

I just don't know what to say...It does look a lot like the fair does here...I would have expected more from New England as well!

SP said...

Is that hair pic for reals?? Oh My.

Julie said...

I really want to know if that last picture is for real!?!! That is amazing-- truly amazing. I think I see a tiny animal living in the wife's hairdo.

Wendy said...

Those pictures are hilarious! Where did you find the 2nd one?? I'm speechless.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That's what you get for going to a fair that features a Fried Pork Skin Eating Contest. What did you expect?

I'd like to write a book for plu-sized ladies and let them know that Oil Of Olay lied. You're not beautiful at any size, so please throw away all your trashy Large Marge collection hooker wear from Wal-Mart because you just don't look good with your belly rolls hanging out of lacy camisole tops. I want to picket Lane Bryant until they stop selling hoochie stuff too. Won't you please help stop the evil scourge of V-neck tops plunging lower and lower every season?

Christy said...

It was the same in England believe it or not... only much much sadder (more sad even.)

Sadie Lou said...

eeww that is gross how she stuck the cup in her booby area! its like when you took me swimming at the ymca and that is where i was my 2 very first completely naked ladies trying to have a conversation wiht me! can you say akward!!!! hope you and the girls had fun:)

Kara said...

ha ha ha...awesome.