Thursday, August 09, 2007

Castles and Super Glue


The girls and I ventured out today to East Haddam to Gillette Castle. It was built from 1914-1919 by William Gillette, an actor famous for his stage portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. It's a fascinating place, built by a somewhat eccentric bachelor. It's full of interesting features, including elaborately calculated and carved locks on each of the bedroom doors and bizarre light switches. He built the bedrooms in such a way "to make great entrances in the opportune moment". The castle was built on a huge hill overlooking the Connecticut River. It has amazing views. The self guided tour took me and the girls all of 13 minutes. It's unfortunate that they have so much of the castle rooms and floors blocked off to the public...though it leaves much to the imagination. The girls felt like princesses walking up and down the interior stone steps, though much of the interior is very "untraditionally castle-like"...meaning, its nothing like the castles on Twelve Dancing Princesses or Hogwarts. It's built in an area that was bought by Connecticut and made a State Park so it is surrounded by forest and trails. Following this particular picture, Haley took a nasty little spill coming down a path and landed her bony hip bone on a sharp Connecticut rock. I've never seen a cut like that before. I don't think that I will ever waiver on whether or not a cut around here needs stitches or not...I knew that she needed stitches. She finally calmed down enough for me to put a gauze patch over it and chilled for the ride home. We drove home, dropped Abby and Mia off with a neighbor and headed up the hill to the clinic for medical advice.
Once we got there and met Miriam, our really nice nurse in the Mickey Mouse scrubs, Haley got goofy (before the torture began, of course.) The nurse decided that we could probably get by with a good cleaning and tape or glue, instead of sending us to an ER out in town for stitches. That was a great relief to Haley, though you would have thought that the irrigation and glue were meticulously devised for her own individual torture. The girl was downright squirmy and defensive, swatting pour Miriam's hands away. We let her put on gloves to squeeze water, I put on gloves to squeeze water...we let her take pictures, gave her gum...all to no avail...she is a total 5 year old girl in the face of a medical procedure. The doctor was very patient with her and while Miriam laid on her legs and she gripped my torso in terror, he finished cleaning her out and glued her shut! This was after Miriram shared stories about her daughters dislocated knees and her son's staples in his head from skateboarding...oh, and I may have threatened her that if she wasn't calm for the doctor to clean it out we would have to amputate from the waist down...all in good humor, naturally. Good as new. I'm glad for a good excuse to tell her to take it easy for a few days...no playing on the playground, no wrestling, not even roughhousing, no bikes, no baths. She asked me every five minutes tonight if it was still glued shut. She is a good girl. This is a picture that she took of her doctor (remember, it was a sight-seeing day, we had the camera!)
Mia developed a 'come and go' mystery rash and we did an enjoyable family dinner on the patio at Panera, one of our favorite family spots. Then ended the night with scripture reading and an uncontrollable giggling fit during family prayer...the best part, I was the one praying.
It's good to have one of those great family days (minus the few hours in the middle). It revives me and reminds me how much I love my job.
This is Clark being enthusiastic about Haley's wound 'on the mend'.
I'd say between my lack of grace and Clark's wound record (8 broken bones before the age of 9) we're doing terrific with only one broken arm and one case of "stitches" thus far (unless you count my episiotomies and C section...and all the trips to the ER for stomach viruses and spinal taps on 2 week olds...and imperforate anuses, or is it an-i?...maybe we're not always in such great shape afterall...but look at how cute, we heal well, I can assure you.)

14 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I forgot to mention that the wound was so gaping and deep that the doctor pointed out her visible fat layer...if 48 pound Haley has a visible fat layer, we are all in a lot of trouble.

Sadie Lou said...

that is NOT mia and haley in the 1 pic!!!! they both look way 2 old. and tell haley if i had to go though with what she did i would be crying my eyes out and freaking out. but surprisingly when i look at it it dosen't gross me out. she isn't gonna fall apart is she? how is mia rash, have you taken her to the doc.? sigh, i wish i was there with you guys! :)

Mandee said...

Well at least you had reason to take her in. Madelyn's first trip to the ER was perhaps one of my most embarassing moments. She had somehow cut her foot at home and was bleeding. After her dad freaked out he carefully made a little cast for her foot out of toilet paper, tucked her into the carseat and off we went to patch her up. After waiting for hours in the lobby (Madelyn was asleep the entire time) we were finally called back to see the Dr. It took several seconds for his to unravel the homemade cast and when he finally found her foot he identified the source of the bleeding which happened to be the smallest cut, if you could even call it that on one of her little toes. Then came the dreaded question..."Is she your first baby" to which we could only nod our head yes. He then went on to inform us that the hands and feet are very vascular meaning don't come back unless you can see the visible fat layer.

Abby said...

Now I know why you didn't answer your phone--gaping wounds and rashes are way more exciting. I almost didn't recognize Mia in #1. Your girls are so pretty, and tell Haley I am very proud of her for being brave (you can snicker to yourself about the bravery). Tell her it's a beaut!

Sunnie said...

what a fun day- always good fun when someone has to get glued together in the end. i'm glad she's okay. elle's had her head glued before. i guess everyone needs to experience it. and i'll talk about eclipse with you as soon as i'm done. i have a little over 200 pages to go.

Rainie said...

O.K. parents are definately given what they can handle and that makes you super mom. We've yet to have stitches, breaks, tears or sprains of any kind because I would FREAK out, I'm the worlds biggest wimp and I think it would multiply by 10 if it involved my kids. Chris's mom was so concerned one day that she sat me down with some possible scenerios making me practice how I'd react.

Rynell said...

whoa! What an exciting day! I'm glad she is on the mend.

mo said...

Tell Haley she was a brave little soldier. We are ALL such wimps about blood, especially if it belongs to one of our children! We didn't have that many stitches in our family....mostly Spencer's head! I assume he is still careful around ceiling fans. Now that was a funny wound! Okay, we did have a few broken bones--Amy broke a piece off her ankle and Carrie broke her collarbone, a finger, and her arm twice in 6 months. That's what happens when you bring the hose inside the house. Okay, that was more than I thought. So you probably have a few more visits in your future unless you want to keep them all in a big bubble!

Jangs said...

Quite the wound. Brave girl. What an outing!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

beutiful location....crazy gash....not a good rash....and oh my i have never (cross fingers) taken mine to the er....i think it is the parents childhood history

Suzie Petunia said...

Goodness, you make me laugh!

What is up with Mia's rash?

Science Teacher Mommy said...

My favorite is that you still were in good enough spirits to take the DOCTOR'S picture. You're a champ.

And Forecast Calls for Rain--You ARE tough. I don't know anybody else who has to carry a hypodermic needle around with them just in case.

Sarah said...

Gotta love the glue...Would Duct Tape have worked?? At least she'll have a keepsake from your fun outing!

Carrie Ann said...

what sharp little hip bones she must have! Call me if you want to talk about Eclipse!