Monday, July 16, 2007

Cousins, BYU and orange cream soda



The trip has come to an end. We left on the afternoon of July 4th and flew straight into the night. Two layovers later we landed in SLC at around midnight, relatively unscathed...the girls were near angels and I felt great relief to have that part of the trip behind us. We didn't fully miss out on the 4th's festivities, we saw several little puffs of lights during our initial ascent out of Houston....I know Houston, right? I just left there a few weeks ago with a heavy heart and have endured a couple of truly difficult weeks adjusting, and there I was, back again, just like that...20 minutes from our beautiful, empty home, sitting in the airport watching a special on Anna Nicole Smith's love child and eating Papa John's pizza in terminal C.
The girls spent the first 15 minutes of each flight reviewing the safety information found in the seat back pocket in front of them. I then, spent 10 minutes answering questions about the pictures, very gently and diplomatically: "Momma, what's that a picture of?" "Well sweetie, that's if the plane crashes into water, then we get to float around on big rafts...if we survive the impact (that is if we assume the correct "crash posture" as seen in diagram 4 up there...")
We spent a day recuperating at Mo and Papa's and then headed off to Clark's family reunion, minus Clark. We met back up with all the family we just said goodbye to and were happy to be together again. The cabin was gorgeous and we had fun fishing, hiking and four-wheeling. Haley was the only one who caught a fish while we were there (she did a really good job reeling in the 12 inch trout that Uncle Randy baited and cast...she was really excited.)
After the weekend with our Texas and Utah cousins we headed back to my folks' for a week with my fam. Actually I spent one more day with Clark's family who returned to Grandma's house in Idaho. Monday was a long day that we took driving up to Idaho Falls for a short visit at Grandma's eating hamburgers and hanging out in the lush grass of her front yard while we played in the climbing tree. Then I drove up for an even shorter visit in Rexburg with our good friends Mandee and Dallan who we haven't seen in years. It was so fun to see them and play with their adorable kids in their gorgeous new house. Unfortunately my camera battery was dead at that point so Mandee will have to post pictures of that visit. We got back home around 10pm after a much needed visit to our dear old stompin ground, Sonic...have you noticed a significant drop in Sonic's stock since our move from Texas? (did I mention that there is no Sonic or Chick Fil A in Connecticut?...I guess we'll just have to give up fast food and lose a few pounds.)
[I want to take a moment at this point in time to sing the woes of the Connecticut Restaurant conundrum...there is no place to eat out. In Utah or Houston we had our pick of any flavor or cuisine within a ten minute drive. Now, our family who likes a bite out on occasion (or on lots of occasions) sits in a stupor of thought before deciding on one of the three decent places we have found thus far. We know there are more places out there, we just haven't found many yet.]
So we spent the week playing at the pool, bringing chaos to BYU campus, playing with cousins, sliding the Alpine slide and enjoying good company.
Not to forget that my kids got to visit with four great grandparents still living, do you know how lucky that is?
(Did I mention how beautiful all of my family is? It's because of these people, are they not the most handsome and beautiful 80 something year olds you've ever seen? I mean, look at her skin!!)
Our trip was fantastic fun but coming home was even better. Mind you I spent enough time commiserating about my red eye flight with three kids but we made it home...and when we arrived we were met by one handsome Dad who came bearing flowers for all of his girls. We even came home to a box free house, cleaned and air-deodorized, new potted plants on the front porch and more flowers, cards and a new movie for each of us waiting on the table inside...I think he missed us. We slept much of yesterday to catch up then enjoyed a family dinner and Sunday outing to Groton Long Point to climb on rocks and watch the boats.
Trips are good but home is best.

*For a trip addendum please go look at Ab's blog...she puts it all so nicely and mentions all the things that I want to say.
Things that I didn't even mention:
-the isolated throw up incident that I didn't even gag at
-the bear skat scare of 2007 and my visit about poop with the handsome Wildlife man
-orange cream soda for breakfast
-my adorable and fashion conscious mother who does her homework faithfully
-the glorious food
-the girls' hours of laborious efforts to create a chipmunk habitat
-sunburns and chapped lips
-chickens with cute names and an amazing chicken coop built by my sister, her first ever
-slumber parties with Aunts
-and the fact that it's 2:15 in the afternoon and I have sat at the computer all day instead of unpacking.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I LOVE the last picture of your girls!

I'm happy that you had such a fun time with family and proud that you braved flying from one side of the country to the other (well, Utah is almost the other).

As for the poop, throw uo, and sunburns,sometime the most memoriable moments are those that aren't planned!

Sadie Lou said...

it is soooo good to be home too. i love it even though i am not unpacked yet. we had fun with you too. :)

Jessica said...

I'm glad you made it home okay. It was so SO fun to see you and your beautiful girls. It makes reading blogs even more fun now that I got to meet them! I am so proud to call you family! Megan told me to tell you hello, by the way!

Sarah said...

To answer your question on my blog...We never have a hair out of place or a button undone! :)

Sunnie said...

such a fun trip! i would love to head out to pretty utah and see family. i want to hear about some of the unmentioned stuff- like the poop and handsome wildlife man. that sounds romantic! the alpine slides are always fun- my older sis sustained a mild concussion on them back in the day after falling twice on the ride down. glad you survived the plane ride- you are brave!

Kara said...

Wow, I just kept reading and reading and reading. It all sounded so fun!

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great trip! Anything that involved alpine sliding couldn't be that bad. I'm jealous of your ONE throw up incident. I spend last week in Utah as well with 25 members of my husbands family and 17 of them ended up the with puking stomach flu over the course of the week. Not a pretty sight.

Your husband better watch his back after this blog post. He's going to get himself kidnapped by some unappreciated mom if he keeps up those kind of charming antics!

Lucky Mommy said...

I'm glad you spent the day at the computer instead of unpacking so I could have something so fun to read! What a great trip! I am extremely impressed at your managing 3 kids on an airplane by yourself. Sounds like a great vacation to pump you up for life back in CT. Too bad we didn't see you on your stop in DC. If you ever come see Spencer & Sho let me know.

Suzie Petunia said...

I hope everyone in Utah still has some "fun" left in them after your trip! Your post makes me excited to visit, too. That pic of your girls is very , very cute indeed.

Way to go, Clark!

Amy Lynn said...

I miss you. Having you leave was very, very sad. But you survived your trip home AND had a fabulous husband spoil you! Lucky.

Unknown said...

so. much. fun.

If you have time, I would really like to hear about the visit about poop with the handsome wildlife man:)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I enjoyed meeting your friend Mandee through her blog...its kinda weird and cool at the same time to read about another person who adores you and I don't even know her. You are truly a gem, miss Emma Jo.

Good times in Utah/Idaho--I haven't even been back to Rexburg since I left in 1997...a temple and everything! wow!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

ok, i can't stand reading comments from people that i don't know where you know them from...trying to connect the dots...why don't you do a blog entry on all these people to help me out....maybe i should do that, too except people don't seem to post much on my blog