Monday, November 27, 2006

The Magic Cornucopia

I've decided (not recently...I've always known) that my life is what you get when you cross a cornucopia (from which blessings flow) and a magician's hat...neverending surprises...that means that my life is and always has been neverending blessings. I attribute this to many things that I will have to thank you all personally for, later.
However, pulling out of the November-is-the-month-of-supreme-grouchiness, I've been inspired by my friend (a bosom-buddy I'm convinced, if we ever met...my sister's sister in law) to list a fraction of the things that I am grateful for in my life.
When I was engaged I made a calendar for my fiance that counted down 109 days until we got married...each day was something that I loved about him (an idea which I ultimately stole from my brother in law--you'll have to read his wife's because he has been seriously slacking...or working, whatever). We should all do this more often. After all, "gratitude unlocks the fullness of life". I'm grateful that this is at least one positive thing that goes through my brain without effort.
I am grateful for (in no particular order)
1. my husband
2. my kids
3. my parents
4. my siblings
5. my friends, far and near
6. my husband's job
7. our home (its clean, and cockroaches aren't the norm)
8. movies
9. potatoes
10. Target
11. our matronly minivan
12. dishwashers
13. deodorant
14. indoor plumbing
15. cheese
16. the computer
17. a college degree
18. ceiling fans
19. flip flops
20. cameras
21. scrapbooks
22. cute scrapbooking supplies
23. thick hair
24. health
25. trash pick-up
26. our country
27...and its leaders
28. swimming pools
29. my hearing
30. antibacterial lotion
31. cute pens and pencils
32. office supplies in general
33. Mrs. Smith's Dutch Crumb Apple Pie
34. Ben and Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk
35. pink, little girl things
36. underwear
37. a washing machine
38. my bike with a bell
39. a cool neighborhood with great neighbors
40. babies
41. hugs
42. art
43. sunflower seeds
44. soft grass
45. cold water
46. country roads
47. a big family
48. Steve Irwin
49. and while we're on the subject, TV
50. board games
51. caramel
52. my down pillow and comforter
53. pictures in black and white
54. my childhood
55. grandparents
56. random acts of kindness
57. lavendar
58. humor
59. good eyesight
60. that I can get pregnant and carry a baby
61. creeks and streams
62. Tylenol
63. A&W Root Beer
64. a good grocery store
65. a clean bathroom
66. a sensitve conscience
67. a living prophet
68. and while I'm on that subject, the true gospel
69. creativity
70. a good imagination
71. compassion
72. stars
73. Texas thunder storms
74. a good salad
75. blue
76. paper clips
77. cute kids' clothes
78. fun shoes
79. our digital camera
80. ziploc baggies (all sizes)
81. order
82. intuition
83. double-sided tape
84. flowers
85. history
86. a temple so near
87. taking walks
88. heavy rain
89. decks
90. BBQ
91. getting the mail
92. playing Dr. Mario
93. Christmas lights
94. family vacations
95. sunsets
96. hindsight
97. ice
98. horses
99. floss
100. sleep


10 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah! Welcome back! :)

mo said...

Ditto! I would have to agree with every single one of those things. It's almost as if I had written the list myself...except, did you mention chocolate? And daughters like you?

Abby said...

I didn't see my name on there...typo?
And come to think of it, I never thought of your van as "matronly", but I suppose there is a good birthing hip shape about the [not so] old girl that would inspire such a word. That and the fact that a mom drives it. How are your birthing hips? Are they good ones?

Oscarson Photography said...

yeah, thick hair was on my list too....

Suzie Petunia said...

I love your list. But I think "Texas Thunder storms" and "Heavy Rain" is the same thing.

I am very glad you're back.

Mandee said...

I was starting to go into withdrawls! I am was so excited when I logged on and saw you had written a new post!

Unknown said...

There was only 11 things on your list that I was not grateful for. One of them being a bike with a bell. I don't have one, but I would like one. A bike with a bell, a basket, and a wide seat.

michaelstubbs said...

No cousins? Hmmm....

Julie said...

Great list-- I agree with all you put. (and I would have to add hilarious and creative cousins like you all.)

Emma Jo said...

OK so I forgot to add
cousins
hammocks
making lists
organizing things
getting rid of junk
and more that I'm sure I'll continue to remember.