I feel horribly sorry for my children quite often. Some days they wake up cranky, and sometimes I wake up cranky. The day I had planned was ideal. We wake up, actually get dressed and do our hair, go to the library for toddler story time, come home and play with friends in sprinkler until nap time when we all drift into a blissful two hour nap, waking up refreshed and ready to face "bewitching hour" (the time between 4 and 7 pm when all the mothers in the neighborhood are anxiously walking the sidewalks with their antsy, cranky kids waiting for dinner to be done and Dad to come home.)
Maybe I should just leave the description of our day at that...it would be much happier. But this is how the day went. We got dressed, one of us got our hair done and it wasn't me. We picked up friend Charlotte and went to reading time. Reading time was fine, meaning the kids were well behaved. The substitute reading lady was about as interesting as a 5th period geometry teacher reading from a textbook. I sat the entire time imaging that we were really in my sister's reading time in Utah. I then tried to procure a new library card while my two children and their little friend ran up and down the stairs without shoes on. I don't know where their shoes were, so don't ask.
At this point I have suddenly lost the desire to describe the rest of the day, though it carried on much as it had started. Needless to say, when my poor husband got home from a "difficult day at work" (you'll have to read his blogs about what a Navy Shore Tour is like) I took off. I had an entire hour until he had to leave for another appointment. So what does a mother with an entire hour to kill for herself do? I bought address labels at Target. Then I got a Orange Cream Slush from Sonic and took one to my mom at work (where we bother her far too often) and she listened, as she always does to my rantings about the woes of motherhood--she understands...she had 7.
There is no one quite like my husband to make one feel guilty for ever wanting selfish time away from the kids. I came home to a clean house and two adorable toddlers running to the door saying "I love you Mommy!" He knows just how to fix things sometimes.
I have decided that like everything else in life, the endevors that are most challenging provide us with the richest rewards. There is nowhere I would rather be than at home with my girls...or sometimes aimlessly wandering the isles of Target.
8 comments:
Yea, I feel your pain. Been there and done that. But I have discovered the great truth of Grandmotherhood. The grandchildren are always sweet and coorperative with me, I can spoil them without worry and they always come in rather short doses--so bring them on! Go to Target for two whole hours if you want! I love having them. Know that there are going to be days like you described but this time won't last forever, it just seems like it on THOSE days! BTW I love having you drop by work--especially when you bring treats!
As insane and desperate as you make it sound--I can't wait! I don't think there will ever come a day where instead of dealing with a dirty, rowdy, shoeless, tired child I would rather be dealing with dirty, rowdy, shoeless, tired adults who urinate in the fitting rooms! (Not that you would rather another profession either.) I just can't wait, that's all. And at the end of a long day I will bathe him and give him a sound beating and kiss him sweetly goodnight.....Do CPS people pop in on people's blogs? I was totally kidding about the sound beating.
Taylor does the same thing (making the house look great, rallying the kids to help clean, etc etc) but instead of being grateful, I get mad at him for being better at my job than I am. I guess some people will never be satisfied. (ME!)
You are so lucky to have Mo. So lucky I want to cry.
I overheard Chris telling someone the other day that he was so grateful that his wife's idea of a "getaway" was going to Wal-Mart to get milk. It has become a secret code. When I announce we need milk (even though there are 2 gallons in the fridge) and I'd be happy to run over to Wal-Mart to get some, he kisses me good-bye, makes sure I've got some snacks, and resigns himself to babysitting the rest of the evening. The other night I actually drove myself to Weight Watchers to sign up but got emotionally overwhelmed at the door and instead went next door to get a pedicure and then to Cafe Rio for a delicious chicken salad.
Having a grandma (or two!) close by is probably really nice. I don't have those days, and I figure that as long as I am doing everything I can to HAVE those days I am welcome to be really grateful that I DON'T have those days...hmmm, I think I'll sit on the computer for as long as I like, or take a quiet walk, or a nap, or...don't pity my childlessness...I'm living it up while I can.
yeah me too, carrie. i love my family. you all make me smile and thats almost all thats important.
Post already! and you still haven't sent me the address to Clark's blog! I need my emma!
I think we all need "breaks" for an hour, from what ever we spend the majority of our time doing. No matter *what* that is.
It is nice when those around us sense that, isn't it? My husband doesnt always pick up it. We need a code, like the milk. Great idea.
I am a little like Suzie though, I A) Want him to suggest that I go and the B) I want him to fail at taking over for me.
*chuckle*
Post a Comment