We decided to be of the spontaneous kind today and try an adventure (farther away than the neighborhood park). Those of you with kids know that "spontaneous" means at least 2 hours of preparation to actually make it out the door and en route to destination. We met up with some friends at the zoo. They too have kids so our "delayed" departures got us there right about the same time.
I just had to share what a joy days like this can be. It started out hot and hungry but we saw some animals and the kids were entertained. Abby, my two year old jumped wildly at each exhibit and behaved as though it was her favortie animal in the whole entire world. Each time I had to literally peel her off of the railing to move to the next animal. My three year old Haley had brought along her "connected at the hip cousin" Madeline so she was happy regardless. We "eee eeed" at all the monkey cages, avoided the dirty/naughty Mandril, pointed at huge elephant poop, giggled at the bear tinckling off the cliff and stared at two mating Galapagos Turtles for a very long time.
We really did have a fun time. The trip ended with a lot of traffic, some napping, some screaming, a couple of chicken nuggets, smiles and stinky pants. My favorite though was at dinner tonight when we asked the three year old what her favorite part of the day was. Hands down was when the two year old dropped her toy cell phone into the Sea Lion pool. I will be on pins and needles in days to come while scanning the news for reports of strange sounds coming from the bowels of an expired Sea Lion. "This just in. A bizarre turn of effents today at the Houston zoo where KiKi, our 12 year old Seal suddenly died Thursday. When examined closer, a muffled noise could be heard in the beloved animals innards. We can't quite make it out but it almost sounds like, 'Hi. I'm Hello Kitty".
2 comments:
I've heard of not feeding the animals but are we going to have to have signs posted that say, "Don't let the animals borrow your cell phones, please!" But let's be honest here, did you really throw the little Hello Kitty phone into the sea lion pond because you were sick and tired of hearing it say, "Hi! I'm Hello Kitty!!!" Huh?
I can imagine a desperate sea lion trying to phone home. "Mom? Are you there? Mom, I'm trapped in a small pool of water with a bunch of scary humans leaning over me all day! Get me out of here! Mom? Can you hear me?" "Hi! I'm Hello Kitty!"
Post a Comment