So on to more things, like February of 2016. We had lots of things,
important things, happen in February of last year. One, we starting
really considering the possibility of leaving Houston and starting a new
chapter (again.) At this point I don't think we had made a decision
for sure, let alone tell the kids. But they knew something was up.
Kids always do.
The most major even of February was the passing of my Grandma Green. She was my last living Grandparent. It was sad and happy for all the reasons it should be: the end of an era, she will be missed but on to bigger and better things for her, and with my Grandpa to boot.
My Grandparents, in all of their generosity and wisdom, made it possible for every grandchild to be there. Those moments are special for so many reasons. We recreated the portrait taken at their 50th wedding anniversary taken lots and lots of years ago. I love these cousins. I love seeing them grown up and living life with their families. We have truly been blessed by the lives of TJ and Jean Green.
As you can see, bears have played a significant role in the memory of the Grangreens. Grandma was an extremely talented seamstress AND she had a thing for teddy bears. Bruiser, below, was her driving buddy. She would buckle him in the front seat of her red T-top Transam and cruise Bountiful. She threw teddy bear tea parties with grandchildren and neighbor kids and she made a beautiful bear for each and every granchild, by hand. They came with an outfit and a name. My snowy white bear wore a lace dicky and was named Madame Raspberry. It was only right that all of her creations were present at her memorial - the sight of them on that bench warmed our hearts.
Bruiser needed a little consoling by Spencer. But it will be all right.
And as always, one of the tender mercies of such an event is being with each other. I had a new baby that my family had not met. I loved walking in at different times to see someone new on the floor, hovering lovingly over Ezra.
And some explanations are just not necessary...
Abby and Spencer and I all stayed with my parents. One night we came across a show that we couldn't change. At first it was just curious and crazy but then we couldn't stop watching and by the end we felt as though years of our lives had been stolen and squandered. It was about a renegade roller skating band of orphans in the desert. It was like something we would have played for hours as kids. It was amazing. And strange. Mostly strange.
Following my whirlwind trip to Utah with Ezra, Clark and I hopped in the car and caravaned to Arkansas with his parents and sister and kids to be there for the blessing of Ethan and Marisa's twin girls, born just a month after Ezra.
It wasn't an exceptionally long drive by any means, but staying in a hotel with so many children was truly an adventure. My other favorite part was that when we drove up it was just me, Clark, the kids, Megan, her kids and his Mom. That means that when we stopped at the rest stop for dinner it was three adult women, twelve kids and one man. We couldn't resist referring to him as "Father" since we were already getting stared at by everyone and their dog.
We visited the first Walmart ever and gained an appreciation for all that Ethan does in that business of his.
It was also Valentine's Day and sometimes I can still pull out a good little girl do.
Babies!
We also engaged in some tom foolery which I will never do again because it was dangerous and silly but also memorable and fun. A bad combination. The two black expeditions successfully passed a note back and forth while traveling 75 mph down a freeway using dental floss.
Jonah. Jonah. Jonah. Someday I will compile a book, just of his "activities". This was just from February.
Clark was a good sport and took Jonah golfing several times while we lived in Houston. Jonah loved it. Clark's friends love Jonah. Jonah thinks he is "one of the boys". I can only imagine what these kinds of activities look like when he gets older.
Then I forgot about picture day...
And we traveled to Virginia to really check things out, while Grandma and Grandpa kept the other kids and played on the roof.
February, out.
The most major even of February was the passing of my Grandma Green. She was my last living Grandparent. It was sad and happy for all the reasons it should be: the end of an era, she will be missed but on to bigger and better things for her, and with my Grandpa to boot.
My Grandparents, in all of their generosity and wisdom, made it possible for every grandchild to be there. Those moments are special for so many reasons. We recreated the portrait taken at their 50th wedding anniversary taken lots and lots of years ago. I love these cousins. I love seeing them grown up and living life with their families. We have truly been blessed by the lives of TJ and Jean Green.
As you can see, bears have played a significant role in the memory of the Grangreens. Grandma was an extremely talented seamstress AND she had a thing for teddy bears. Bruiser, below, was her driving buddy. She would buckle him in the front seat of her red T-top Transam and cruise Bountiful. She threw teddy bear tea parties with grandchildren and neighbor kids and she made a beautiful bear for each and every granchild, by hand. They came with an outfit and a name. My snowy white bear wore a lace dicky and was named Madame Raspberry. It was only right that all of her creations were present at her memorial - the sight of them on that bench warmed our hearts.
Bruiser needed a little consoling by Spencer. But it will be all right.
And as always, one of the tender mercies of such an event is being with each other. I had a new baby that my family had not met. I loved walking in at different times to see someone new on the floor, hovering lovingly over Ezra.
And some explanations are just not necessary...
Abby and Spencer and I all stayed with my parents. One night we came across a show that we couldn't change. At first it was just curious and crazy but then we couldn't stop watching and by the end we felt as though years of our lives had been stolen and squandered. It was about a renegade roller skating band of orphans in the desert. It was like something we would have played for hours as kids. It was amazing. And strange. Mostly strange.
Following my whirlwind trip to Utah with Ezra, Clark and I hopped in the car and caravaned to Arkansas with his parents and sister and kids to be there for the blessing of Ethan and Marisa's twin girls, born just a month after Ezra.
It wasn't an exceptionally long drive by any means, but staying in a hotel with so many children was truly an adventure. My other favorite part was that when we drove up it was just me, Clark, the kids, Megan, her kids and his Mom. That means that when we stopped at the rest stop for dinner it was three adult women, twelve kids and one man. We couldn't resist referring to him as "Father" since we were already getting stared at by everyone and their dog.
We visited the first Walmart ever and gained an appreciation for all that Ethan does in that business of his.
It was also Valentine's Day and sometimes I can still pull out a good little girl do.
Babies!
We also engaged in some tom foolery which I will never do again because it was dangerous and silly but also memorable and fun. A bad combination. The two black expeditions successfully passed a note back and forth while traveling 75 mph down a freeway using dental floss.
Jonah. Jonah. Jonah. Someday I will compile a book, just of his "activities". This was just from February.
Clark was a good sport and took Jonah golfing several times while we lived in Houston. Jonah loved it. Clark's friends love Jonah. Jonah thinks he is "one of the boys". I can only imagine what these kinds of activities look like when he gets older.
Then I forgot about picture day...
And we traveled to Virginia to really check things out, while Grandma and Grandpa kept the other kids and played on the roof.
February, out.




















No comments:
Post a Comment