Sunday, November 18, 2012

Unseasonally warm weather and then not again.

I was just telling my sister this morning (via a Facebook comment, that counts as "telling someone something" these days, right?) that I really should have thought through this "having another baby" thing more thoroughly because I recently realized that I am going to have to make another Christmas stocking.  I just made new ones for everyone last year and thought I had bought enough material for "whatever the future holds" (don't you like how I plan for progeny?) and have ended up using most of it.  It simply MUST match, MUST I tell you.
Now wasn't that an interesting bit of information?
Last week we had some of the warmest, most beautiful days ever for November.  I love Veteran's Day in Virginia.  The government employees are off of work but kids have school.  It's like a date day.  We started our date day with the 4th graders Veteran's Day program at the school.  Abby is in the 4th Grade Recorder Ensemble.  She has been practicing her music for weeks and was actually nervous for the day of the concert.  I was so impressed with the program.  They had a oral essay preformed by one of the classes that was amazing, a choir of fun songs and the recorders of course.  As I stood and watched from the sidelines I appreciated Abby's diligence in practicing and being dedicated.  There were several kids that were simply pretending to play and one girl outright, holding her recorder upside down.  I was proud of her.  I was also  proud during the part of the program where kids in the grade had the chance to honor service members in their lives.  It never gets old for me, I tear up, I appreciate them, I love it.  Clark and I only wish that Abby had brought home a little more information about it so Clark could have been in uniform like so many others were.  I am proud of my husband.  He is an amazing man, talented, smart, dedicated, driven and successful in whatever he does.  I am proud to have been a part of the Navy community for the last 12 years.  We will resign next summer with plenty of experiences under our belts to have been glad to do it, and glad it's over.

Mondays are half days for us and so when the girls got home we indulged them in a little romp through the woods behind our house.  We avoid it during the summer, mostly because of ticks, sorry to say (I know way too many people with Lyme Disease.)  It was the perfect little outing.  Clark and I sat and chatted in the mild 65 degree weather and watched the girls play in the creek.  Calm, fun, togetherness.


Clark brings the world of technology to the wild woods.


6 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

I still tear up every time I hear our national anthem or see men/women in their military uniforms...so grateful for Clark and his dedication and passion for the work he has done the last 12+ years! All of you have made great sacrifices and I hope you know how grateful I am! Must be where Abby gets her passion and dedication for the recorder! :>) Fun day!

Julie said...

Looks like so much fun romping in the woods. Let me add my thanks to Clark and YOU all. I sang in a Veteran's Day concert and we had a WWII Vet speak who fought in Iwo Jima at age 25-- (93 years old now) left his wife and little girl to serve, wow! I am grateful for all those brave men then and now!!

Jangs said...

Love your post. Love the pictures. We are grateful for people like Clark too.

Abby said...

I am having the same problem with stockings! I am desperate to find a match with a P on it, but they don't sell them anymore. TRADGEDY.
Love your romp through the woods. No fair. Waah. Glad to know I'm not the only crazy who is scared of Lyme disease/ticks. Thanks for all that Naval sacrifice...which is what your kids will say to you someday, after all the damage they've done to your "navel." B'dom, pshh (those were joke drums.) Is this thing on?

Maleen said...

Ha ha. Love the matching. I have these adorable letters that I can't put up anywhere because I don't have a P. Blast it.

And I'm pretty sure I need a date day with my husband. I wonder how I can talk his work into giving them all a day off while the kids are in school?

Leah said...

Very sweet post.
The husband off/kids in school thing almost makes up for the half days on Monday thing. Almost.
Your girls look like mine in the woods. Instantly find a mud and water source and dive in.
Cheers,
Leah