Our summer is just swimming along...which would be a painfully horrible pun if I could figure out the video thing to show you exactly where we have spent 99.9% of our time thus far this summer.
We decided to do something slightly different yesterday. We wanted a good, family together day doing something other than what we have been doing. There are several things that I have been wanting to do, things that are typically touristy things that I just hadn't ever gotten around to doing and haven't seen since middle school. So my family spent the day fulfilling my every wish and desire, including peaceful coexistence.
We started out at the National Cathedral.
It is so incredible. The girls had fun looking for certain things from the tour booklet.
This is the Space Window, in honor of the Apollo XI mission. That little tiny circle thing in the middle of the redish part is a moon rock.
The rest of the windows are just breathtaking and so intricate. Pictures on my little camera just can't do them justice.
We made sure to step outside and locate the Darth Vader gargoyle that was the winner of a design contest several years ago. It is way the heck up there but we found it.
Then the girls and I may have slipped back inside to "get drinks at the water fountain" but really we were gawking at the wedding happening at the front chapel. Nothing like a bunch of little girls watching a bride.
We may have also found a way to kill time while I fed the baby out in the shade. Disturbing and really funny. Also, probably really bad for the 10 year old's back.
Next stop was Arlington National Cemetery. Clark and I felt that since their father has spent their entire lives in the military, it was an important and worthwhile thing for the girls to see and experience. It is impossible to take in that view and not be in awe of the sheer numbers. It is a beautiful place. Clark and I may or may not have had a little discussion about where he would rather be buried, Texas or Arlington. The conversation was inconclusive except that I promised wherever he decides to be buried, I will plant a gardenia bush, and then make sure my new husband is willing to take care of it :)
We spent time at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We were just in time to see the changing of the guards.
Very cool.
Why end the day there? I had also never been to Old Town Alexandria. Why not? is exactly what we were asking ourselves as we walked around. Lots of people have told us to go and we just never had. So quaint. So cool. So full of neat buildings, yummy restaurants and treats.
Not a bad view either, if you could undo the blur.
It was one of those perfectly lovely days that I will always remember. I thanked my family profusely for doing everything that I wanted and without bickering too (I swear that promises of ice cream had nothing to do with it.)
I wasn't expecting any smiles for a couple of weeks still, at least. That's not to say we haven't tried. I figure that the kid probably just spends the majority of his time being overstimulated and overwhelmed here at our house. In any case, I witnessed a little surprise while at church today when he was in the midst of cute teenage girls. I dove for my camera so as not to miss that amazingly adorable little grin. And then congratulated them all on making it into his little book of remembrance.
We decided to do something slightly different yesterday. We wanted a good, family together day doing something other than what we have been doing. There are several things that I have been wanting to do, things that are typically touristy things that I just hadn't ever gotten around to doing and haven't seen since middle school. So my family spent the day fulfilling my every wish and desire, including peaceful coexistence.
We started out at the National Cathedral.
It is so incredible. The girls had fun looking for certain things from the tour booklet.
This is the Space Window, in honor of the Apollo XI mission. That little tiny circle thing in the middle of the redish part is a moon rock.
The rest of the windows are just breathtaking and so intricate. Pictures on my little camera just can't do them justice.
We made sure to step outside and locate the Darth Vader gargoyle that was the winner of a design contest several years ago. It is way the heck up there but we found it.
Then the girls and I may have slipped back inside to "get drinks at the water fountain" but really we were gawking at the wedding happening at the front chapel. Nothing like a bunch of little girls watching a bride.
We may have also found a way to kill time while I fed the baby out in the shade. Disturbing and really funny. Also, probably really bad for the 10 year old's back.
Next stop was Arlington National Cemetery. Clark and I felt that since their father has spent their entire lives in the military, it was an important and worthwhile thing for the girls to see and experience. It is impossible to take in that view and not be in awe of the sheer numbers. It is a beautiful place. Clark and I may or may not have had a little discussion about where he would rather be buried, Texas or Arlington. The conversation was inconclusive except that I promised wherever he decides to be buried, I will plant a gardenia bush, and then make sure my new husband is willing to take care of it :)
We spent time at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We were just in time to see the changing of the guards.
Very cool.
Why end the day there? I had also never been to Old Town Alexandria. Why not? is exactly what we were asking ourselves as we walked around. Lots of people have told us to go and we just never had. So quaint. So cool. So full of neat buildings, yummy restaurants and treats.
Not a bad view either, if you could undo the blur.
It was one of those perfectly lovely days that I will always remember. I thanked my family profusely for doing everything that I wanted and without bickering too (I swear that promises of ice cream had nothing to do with it.)
I wasn't expecting any smiles for a couple of weeks still, at least. That's not to say we haven't tried. I figure that the kid probably just spends the majority of his time being overstimulated and overwhelmed here at our house. In any case, I witnessed a little surprise while at church today when he was in the midst of cute teenage girls. I dove for my camera so as not to miss that amazingly adorable little grin. And then congratulated them all on making it into his little book of remembrance.
Well hello there happy baby.







12 comments:
Thanks for the tour.
So cute!! I love when they start smiling. I worry all the time about Blake getting overstimulated...but, you know what- he loves girls, probably because that is who he sees most of the time.
I love days that turn out like you planned or even better.
You live in such an amazing place. And your kids are just cute. Such a good life. I'm sure the only thing you are missing is a full night's sleep. :)
I love it that you got to do so many wonderful things! I am right there with you on the bucket list thing! We feel time just slipping away from us and there is too much we haven't done or just want to do again and soak it up properly! J has to have the cutest smile ever seen on a little boy. Can't wait to see it in person....you are still coming, aren't you?
I love that your family complied with no complaining. That is the cutest grin ever. What a happy, handsome little man.
Love the smile!!! He is such a cutie!! I also love the bucket list. Need to do that before we leave!!
What a great day! I love days like that where you're totally out of the house and having fun. And they were happy for you! What a great gift! Enjoy those smiles for me! Have you read about the requirements for the soldiers on guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier? Your girls would like hearing about that after being there.
You live in such a cool place. Lucky. Jonah is so cute!!
Oh Emily, Emily just got all caught up with your July posts. I loved the labor story {the perfect amount of humor,details, and heart}. We had no power for 3 days too, and yes the garden hose in the driveway for girls to splash on foot or bike is awesome on hot days when you just can't lug them all to a chlorine watering hole on more time. So glad you have such support from family and friends, what a blessing. The picture of your girl with "the touch" holding Jonah was so beautiful. He is such an adorable baby...and I don't think I remember reading the "c" word in your posts (that would be colic) yay!...that was always my fear with each baby. Hope you have a great rest of the summer.
Cheers,
Leah
How fun. Cute smile on that boy!
I love that you had a good--great even--day. And thank goodness for baby smiles. Newborns make me feel stupid bc their expressions constantly look like, "What are you DOING?!"
Em, he is just darling, I can't wait to see him in real life. :) So happy you got a boy! I think that's probably like the 10th time I've told you that, but seriously, so great to have a little man.
xo
Nat
Post a Comment