Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Long Weekend, in parts, for your viewing pleasure.

Part I
In which Emily and Hazel visit an art museum.




Part Ib
Where the toaster catches on fire. (Note to self: Buy fire extinguisher for kitchen or stop buying cheap toaster ovens, maybe both.)


Part II
In which we make the yearly pilgrimage with friends to pick apples and eat donuts, lots of them.






Part III
In which Clark somehow convinces Emily to go camping.
Friends of ours invited us to stay in a cabin (rustic cabin mind you) in the Shenandoah National Forest.  This is the perfect time of year to go.  It was amazing.
 The first thing we saw before we even got to the campsite was a praying mantis eating a beetle.  It was awesomely gruesome.
 We made it to the scenic overlook and started the 1/2 mile hike to the cabin. 
 The views were amazing.  It was quiet.
 Kids frolicked.
 And played.  And even though there was no indoor plumbing, the privy was better than a porta potty, mostly.
 The sunset was beautiful.
 The sleeping less than ideal but at least it was inside where I couldn't hear the normal sounds associated with sleeping outside, ie crickets, owls, scratching, growling and the crunching of branches as if someone is sneaking up on our tent to devour my whole family.  That kind of thing.
 I was really impressed that Abby and Mia slept outside on the deck.  I feel bad that I made Clark sleep inside near me.  I spent the better part of the next day wondering how it was possible that I gave birth to girls that enjoyed sleeping outside.
Hazel hurt herself about a bajillion times.  She fell on the rocks about 30 seconds after stepping out of the car, fell on the hike, scraped elbows, knees and hands and then touched the wood burning stove and gave herself a nice little blister across her palm.
 The next day we hiked to a waterfall.  It turned out to be about 3.5 miles of pretty intense inclines.  If I didn't know any better, I would say that it was uphill, both ways.  My legs are feelin it today.
 We picnicked at the falls and it was worth it.


We all collapsed just a little when we were finished.  It was rough...especially poor Hazel who had to ride on Clark's back the whole way up.  Free rides can be so exhausting.



Thanks friends for taking us to the orchard!! And thanks other friends who invited us camping!!! (without the incentive that the other wife wouldn't go if I didn't, I never would have said yes.  That and I knew that a trip to the Shenandoah would be completely worth having to sleep not in my own bed.)

Here's to a quiet week to recuperate from the weekend!

8 comments:

Maleen said...

Poor Hazel. I feel bad when my children get hurt and I am pretty sure it was my clumsiness they inherited.

It really looks so beautiful. I wish I were more of the outdoors type. Tyler wishes that too.

michaelstubbs said...

Awesome weekend. It all looks great, and Hazel is one tough little girl. You're doing things right.

Niki said...

What fun!

mo said...

Hmm, I remember another little girl who burned a big blister on her palm by touching a hot oven....must run in the family. I'm real proud of you, you Pioneer Woman, you!

Charlotte said...

I can't believe you don't like camping. I practically forced Peter to go this summer.

We have yet to hit the pumpkin patch this year, we need to get on the ball.

Suzie Petunia said...

Peer pressure made me go camping once, too. It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. It was over my birthday though, so I'm still kind of bitter about that. :D

Anonymous said...

So glad you got to do all those fun, fall-y things with your family. Don't you love this time of year? I am so surprised you're not an outdoor-ies kinda girl...totally pegged you for one with all that biking you do. Rustic cabins are the way to go...tenting is fun, but so much work.
Cheers,
Leah

Amy Lynn said...

Wow. You lead such a charming, picturesque life. I want to see art, pick apples, stay in a rustic cabin, and have a good attitude about not sleeping in my own bed. Nice job Em! P.S. Most orchards in UT have banned apple picking due to increased insurance rates for growers. How utterly absurd and tragic is that?