Monday, July 04, 2011

Let the festivities, begin!

A couple of days before school got out I felt like hiding in a closet.  Like a scene from a horror film I would crouch there in a panic while summer crept into the room and towards the closet with a boney,  bloody finger only to throw open the door, find me hiding and devour me whole.
It really wasn't all that bad.  I had my sister in law telling me to "hang in there" by the end of the first day but things are definitely looking up.  We are busy and strapped for time during the school year so I am always a little scared of 24/7 with nothing to keep us occupied, except for the incessant bickering of course.  That can be a great time filler.
I like to give the first week to sleeping in, wearing pajamas all day and snacking at will.  The the end of the first week we had already found our groove and I know I will weep when school starts up again.  That is, until I discover the joy of three kids in all-day school...then I might be able to find a silver lining :)
This summer we have much on the agenda.  We will still sleep in, snack through the day and wear our pajamas much too late into the morning but we will also have Smithsonian day, park day, movie day, library day, museum day, water day and lots of ice cream.  So here's to sleeping in until 8 (or maybe even 9, gasp!), popsicles, wearing ourselves out, enjoying each other's company without the stress of having to be anywhere, and playing with friends!





(sorry I didn't get everyone in the frame of this one...I was instructed to post only the picture where people were ready for the shot and not looking, silly.)

And in another week or two I will have a most entertaining post about our wonderful visitors that we have right now all the way from Houston. 
My kids are in cousin Heaven.  It's a good place to be.

Happy 4th!! One of my very most favorite holidays...we are off to watch our fireworks across the Potomac with DC as the backdrop.  Ring pops, sparklers and glow bracelets.  Sitting on our denim picnic blanket tonight with grapes and turkey and munster sandwiches I will be thinking about 4th of July's from my childhood, on the banks of the Mississippi with the St. Louis arch looming overhead (or maybe we just did that once, but it is so vivid!)  It's the stuff that memories are made of, people.
Happy Happy Summer!

6 comments:

Abby said...

aww! i wanna come too! you are probably watching fireworks this very minute...sigh. you guys are cute.

Jessica said...

Looks like you are going to have so much fun! I am slightly (okay, a lot) jealous of all the amazing museums you have around you! Keep us posted with all the most fun places you visit so I can keep a list!

Suzie Petunia said...

Mmmmm... munster cheese...

I am still in the hiding in the closet mode. Kind of. My kids are thrilled that we have Cartoon Network in our summer apartment, so they usually leave me alone until 10 or so. (As long as there is enough kid-accessible food for them to feed themselves.) Pretty dreamy!

Summer is exhausting!

Maleen said...

You seem to have more activities than days of the week. Impressive. It always is frightening at the beginning, but it all becomes rote within a blink.

I had a week with only three and I'm trying to wrap my head around five again. How did I get this many children?

mo said...

Glad you are finding your summer groove. It all sounds like fun times to me. I wish I was one of your kids.

Lea said...

Sounds like so much fun...I really need to get out of this rural area and get close to ANYTHING!!! Please share your little job clipboard and money thing you have going on...would love to incorporate something like that with my kiddos.