Clark and I are almost finished with our little furniture refinishing project. I am excited about our kitchen table's "new look" even though it has come at the expense of eating every meal on the floor/extra chairs/piano bench/couch/TV trays for the last week. It is going to look great. Although I have to say, all that open space is kinda nice too. (In case you hadn't noticed, I am slow to take down decorations...and even though Clark has been home for several weeks now, I love my yellow flowers...it's just too bad that they didn't serve as more of a warning for where that light hangs down. I think I've hit my head on it about a bajillion times this week.)
When flipping chairs over to paint we found the word Jesus written in capital colored pencil letters on the bottom. This religious graffiti made me laugh instead of being irritated, which is always a good thing. I also am fairly confident that I know who wrote it. The same little girl who has written her own name on everything else in the house. You know who I mean.
(Written just after we moved in two and a half years ago. Thankfully for us, her spelling and knowledge of letter direction has improved...and thankful for her, she has wised up and stopped writing her own name on things.)
We felt as though Hazel's pig-tails weren't cuttin' it in the cuteness factor anymore and so we decided to take it to the next level with a little grill bling. We thought it might be easier to execute than a tattoo, which it was.
I may have regretted this decision however when I tried to take a picture. I took probably a dozen before I realized that it just didn't look cute. Not in the least. Plus, too hard to brush and floss.
Yesterday I had a very strange conversation on the phone with a Franciscan priest in Pennsylvania named Father Frank who received my blender parts from Amazon by mistake. That means no smoothies for at least a couple of weeks when we can sort it out...we have to wait until Father Frank returns from convocation. True story. I'll let you know when I receive my blender parts. In any case, I met a new friend and was blessed before getting off the phone. How often does that happen?
OK, since this post has taken me so long to write, we finished the table. Ta Da! It feels so formal to be sitting at a table to eat my meals again.
I am glad that we have gotten to see a favorite familiar face of Fall before leaving New England. Fall, how I love you. I love how you smell and feel and how our mornings and evenings are crisp. I am planning on getting my hands on some homemade donuts and fresh apple cider with caramel before I leave. Yes, tomorrow I think would be nice.
And now for the saddest news of all. Oscarsons, you may want to look away.
Clark and I had to make a rather tough decision this week as we took loads to the dump. There just simply isn't a place for this anymore. Console TV. You've been good to us. Especially me. I have known you my entire life. And even though you have a little red spot in one corner of your screen, you still work well. And even though you are so heavy that I am convinced you have a homeless person living in you, I still love you. And it was difficult to leave you in such a place. But the two ladies in camouflage pants that work at the city dump are super nice. They are always so enthusiastic and they love their job so I know you will like it there.
Excuse the bare, white legs. Clark and I have had the
Oscarsons, just so you can feel better, we had a nice talk before I said goodbye. I told him all about then nice friends he'll make (ie the two transfer station ladies I mentioned above, as well as all the other cast-aside electronics sitting on the pavement.) I told him that he would always be in my heart and he never had to feel alone, especially since he has a homeless man living inside of him.
And then I had to sit and recreate how much of my childhood was spent. I watched The Mickey Mouse Club, Night Rider and Moonlighting on this TV, Goonies, Indiana Jones and countless other classics.
It was hard to say good bye. But all good things must come to an end...or go to the dump.
In the meantime, we are anticipating the movers coming to pack us up early next week. I am fairly certain that nothing interesting will happen between now and then which means that I most likely won't have another post until I am sitting in our new house in Northern Virginia, avoiding mountains of boxes to be unpacked...that might be sooner than I like to think. But then again, with Clark home for another few weeks we might get those boxes unpacked and put away faster than I anticipate. Until then, we will continue to begin every sentence with "this is the last time we will ________ in Connecticut" all said in a sad voice, except of course when I did grocery shopping for the last time. That was pretty happy.


14 comments:
Thank you for the loving tribute to the Oscarson console TV. What a machine! Just think, we bought that when Spencer was just a baby and it still works! They just don't build them like that anymore! That was a pretty up-to-date piece of electronics in its day but I must admit I understand why it has to go. In fact, I can't believe you kept it so long! Thanks for giving it a fitting farewell. BTW, love love LOVE the table and chairs! They look fabulous! Good luck this week. I will be thinking of you!
I'm sorry I was going to comment but cannot seem to look away from those white legs!
Your table looks FABULOUS! Well done. It is a new table and chairs, and very sleek. The shiny works. Hazel looks like she's trying to hurry and pretend eat too! (Am I right?)
Poor TV. But I feel so liberated by purging. Moving is good that way, I suppose. We will be praying for you all that the move goes as smoothly as possible. I'm feel slightly sentimental about CT for you. Miles is tooting as I type with such an innocent face.
Moose is James. But Abby wrote that! Oh my goodness, I can't believe James has a sign in name! News to me! That was me, not James (or Moose.)
Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Princess Bride, Amy and you dancing in front of a green screen, countless animal shows, Mystery Science Theater 3000 at 3am on Saturday nights... that TV was brought into our home almost with me. It is the end of an era.... So when do we get the 50" OLED HDTV?!
I like the table and your children's graffiti. We will be here waiting for you to arrive.
Okay, I was so distracted by the white legs and TV console that I forgot to ask why in the world a Franciscan monk received your blender parts? And what is a convocation? Did you receive something of his? Does the monk have anything to do with the religious graffitti under your chairs. That's the problem with random posts, I am easily confused.
Beautiful table-- that looks really great! I love the TV tribute. I think I actually remember that from our visits to you guys-- I think I watched MASH with Chip!
Emily-- if I could look as slender and great as you do after 4 children, I would not want to exercise myself!!! You look great!
I hear you about the exercise thing. I don't enjoy the tedious daily 'exercise'. Give me a good hike, or an evening of volleyball and I am there.
Oh, and I think my legs are whiter than yours, if that is possible.
The Monkees, The New Mickey Mouse Club, every episode of MASH that Chip recorded on his VHS tapes. I saw MTV for the first time on that TV. I remember when we first got that TV and I played in the box it came in in our basement and made it into a playhouse.
Your white legs are cute. And running is good for you, so keep it up. :) If you do then I can make up a reason to come visit you next year - to run a marathon with you and Clark!
Your table looks beautiful! Good luck with the move. A fun new adventure, right?!
I love your table's makeover!
Your console TV is awesome, I'm sure he'll have a nice life at the dump, I mean, what cast-off electronic device wouldn't want to be his friend?
Every time you close one chapter in your life, there's another waiting to begin. Out with the console; good bye Connecticut and graffiti table...hello flat tvs and Virginia and slick, shiny black.
Do I sound wise? I read a lot of fortune cookies.
Oh so many things to comment on! I love Hazel's bling, I'm so glad you were blessed this week, and I totally LOVE your table. I am very impressed. Very nice tribute to the old TV/homeless person house. We actually just got rid of our monstrosity of a TV that was in Ian's family forever. It's a big moment I know, but I have to say I really don't miss ours. New, light, and flat TVs are WAY better. Good luck with everything!
Your table looks great and it appears that someone found a way to make Jesus part of your everyday life.
NOT The TV... I too have very fond memories of that console!
You has funny.
Post a Comment