Friday, May 01, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday Children Dear...

Abigail Hope
May 1, 2003
8 lbs. 7 oz.







I would apologize for the excessive amount of pictures, but she is just so dang cute.

Can I just copy last years "ode to my Abigail"? May has finally come around and it looks like Connecticut might finally be "warming" up to the idea of Spring. (Was that pun to much?) I'm just glad that we are not in winter coats any more...in fact, I may just put them away for the year to show my defiance at these little cold snaps here and there.
I love May because it means another birthday at our house. Little Abs turned 6. 6! I want to know at what age I stop being taken back at how old my kids are getting. Let's reminisce, shall we?
On April 30, 2003 I was 39 1/2 weeks pregnant with my second daughter. Haley had been put to bed and I was waiting for Clark to come home from something. He brought pizza. I had started having contractions pretty regularly from early evening so I got geared up for the possibility. I took a shower. More contractions. I laid down. More contractions. I drank water, more contractions...walked, everything they tell you to try to assure that it's the real deal. I was excited because I never went into labor with Haley. In fact, Abby is the ONLY one that I went into labor with. She was also my only C-section. Clark and I waited it out until they were about 5 or 6 minutes apart and headed to the hospital, dropping Haley off at our friend's house on the way. Clark wanted to drive fast and run red lights so he could be pulled over and tell the cop that he was rushing me to the hospital to have a baby (it probably wasn't that urgent but I let him have fun with it....unfortunately, we didn't pass any cops.) I had preclampsia with Abby so as soon as they checked me in I was put on magnesium. For some reason that weirded me out a little, enough that I don't remember much. I was also sick with bronchitis so I slept most of the night in a hazy fog. I just remember them being concerned with her heart rate and the presence of meconium when they broke my water. So at 6am they came in and told me that they wanted to do a C-section. I threw up. Clark and the nurse watched. I was really nervous but grateful for Clark's calming influence. We had a few moments alone and got prepared. Then I was prepped and they took me away. My memory of the whole ordeal is so foggy but I remember the feeling of the scalpel (like someone dragging a finger across my abdomen.) I had seen C-sections on TV before so I knew exactly what they were doing...including all the pulling and tugging and actual kneeling on my chest to push the baby down and out. She didn't cry right away and even when she did it was labored and stressed. I kissed her on the cheek and they whisked her away with Clark trailing behind to be with her. It was scary and uncomfortable but I was grateful to have another daughter there, relatively safe and sound. I threw up again to the sounds of a student doctor stapling my stomach and couldn't wait to be back in my room with Clark and our baby. After what seemed like a very long time we were back in the same room together, naming our second born. I loved the name Abigail and it seemed only fitting since she had been born on the same day, May 1st, as my sister Abby. Clark chose her middle name, "Hope" and I loved it...and love that he had chosen it. (Haley's name was all him too.)
Recovery was rough but we loved every minute of our girls. Both of our parents (and our two brothers) came for a visit and her blessing (I would have included a picture of that but Clark and I both look the worst we've ever looked, so I am not going to.)
At two months old Abby had surgery. If you want to know what for, you'll just have to ask me. I don't think those words need to be anywhere on the Internet. It was pretty minor, all things considered but scary nonetheless to be in that situation with such a little baby. It meant a stay in the hospital and 16 sticks of a needle to get it right. It was awful and overwhelming but we were grateful to have everything made right and to bring home a healthy baby girl. And especially grateful after having spent time in the hospital around so many kids that were so much worse off. For the next three years she was busy setting the record for "the most-self sustained injuries" in the family including scrapes in the most bizarre places, the darkest bruises I've ever seen and a broken arm at age 2 (she went through two casts because she got poop on the first one-whole other story...and I must correct myself, she didn't set the record...that of course belongs to her Dad, who had broken 8 bones by the time he was 9.)
Abby is an absolute pleasure. I love her dimples and her smiling eyes. She used to have a regular giggling fit, as if on cue, every night during dinner. Her laughter is contagious. She is silly to the core and an entertainer at heart. She is sweet and thoughtful, creative and good. She says that she can't sleep unless she is touching someone which would explain why she has tried to get into our bed with us nearly every night for as long as she could get herself out of bed. She adores her Dad and is fiercely loyal to her sisters. She is sensitive and very kind.
I can't wait to see what the future holds for her.
Happy 6th birthday Babs!
I met her at school and brought goody bags to her class.
We went and ate lunch with Haley at school and then did Panera and Cold Stone for her birthday dinner per her request (a girl that loves to eat out is truly a daughter of mine...her birthday and sweet face even scored us a free bag of cookies from Panera.)

And let it not go unnoticed that dear Aunt Abby, affectionately called "Big Abby" is also one year older and wiser too! We love you anything-but-Big-Abby!!...you look like a monkey, and you smell like one too. I mean that in the most festive way possible.

And while we're on the subject of of well-wishing...Happy 300th post to me! It just seems like a lot.
I think I will celebrate by turning off my computer and paying attention to my kids...
And by having a cookie.
Maybe in honor of spending so much time documenting my life I will go back and read my very first post in February of 2005. Whoa. That's a lot memories.

19 comments:

JJ said...

Happy Birthday to you, you darling girl! I hope it was memorable and fun.

I had to laugh...Clark is well known among the family for all the falls off of bunkbeds, etc. Whenever we speak of broken appendages, we mention Clark.

Amy Lynn said...

I loved every single picture and word that took me down sweet memory lane with my favorite little Babs. She is truly one of a kind in every glorious sense of the word. I love her smile, her deep laugh, her silliness, and her joy in everything and everyone around her. It is so unbelievable that she is 6! I'm certain I called to wish her a happy birthday...and that I thought about it all day...and that I will do it even though now I'm late. Dang it.

meg said...

How have I not heard Abby's gettin' born story? Too adventurous, I'd say. But we are glad she got here safely for she is one of our most favorite people.

Maleen said...

Wow, your labor story sounds a bit scary. It only shows me how much alike we are sometimes. My second labor was a bit scary as well, although I didn't have a C-section (it was close though).
I went back and read your first blog post and then proceeded to read all of your posts for 2005. You make me laugh A LOT. And now I know why Abby needed a second cast. Your life is anything but boring.

Rynell said...

What a great birthday post! Isn't it amazing how fast kids grow up? It looks like she had an awesome day.

Abby said...

I sure do love that girl! I love that she is always "game" and sang happy birthday with me over the phone. Thanks for giving me a special little buddy 6 years ago! She is indeed a delight. Oh, and if I look like a monkey than you must too, bizarro twin. Take THAT. I mean that in the most sisterly of ways.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

where to begin? I didn't know about the 2 month surgery, please tell me about it. I love that pic of her with the painted halloween mask and tall socks, I remember when you first posted it and i loved it. i love to see my pics shown and the ones you love:) and wow, can't believe all the drama with her labor and delivery. michael ran through stops signs in the middle of the night when racing for matthew to be born. those good ole boys just like to break the rules when they have a good reason:)

Rainie said...

300 posts!!! I hope you give yourself more then a cookie. Abby is the cutest, I'm glad you included all the pictures.

Brett and Amy said...

Even the camera captures her contagious smile and twinkling eyes. Those are my favorite attributes in the whole world. Something so genuine and unavailable through cosmetic surgery. You have an amazingly lovely gene pool. I mean 4 out of 4 adorable children to the extent that I (having not seen you guys for some time) feel a need to squeeze them, is pretty rare. Congrats on 300, you almost inspired me to post. Nah, it'll be another week at least.

katyvee said...

So many fascinating (and upsetting!)tid-bits I did not know about my cousin.. OR her little Abby. You girls have been through a bit! But after reading of the birthday girl, I truly think I might just adore her.
I didn't realize we both had 6 year olds. They're the BEST. I'm happy for us both. I am not so happy, though-- to hear of what, although you seemed to put a positive spin on, sounded to be the worst labor experience EVER. You're no sissy. Tell your Abby happy happy birthday.. and that you have a cousin that really likes 6 year-olds.

Vi said...

"excessive pictures"?? Have you seen my blog lately! lol

Lucky Mommy said...

Oh happy birthday precious girl! What a sweetheart and what a loving post. I think I started reading your blog when she broke her arm. That picture looks familiar. I'm glad you don't remember too much about that delivery and sorry you had a rough recovery. C-sections stink.

Sarah said...

I forgot that both of your Abbys have the same birthday! And two cuties they are at that.

Jessica said...

Beautifl pictures...she is a really cute gal! Happy late Birthday to both the Abby's!

Natalie said...

What a cute, cute, cute little girl. I love Abby's little personality, and I love Big Abby's too! :) So are you wearing your glasses all the time now? I feel so good that I have another friend who has finally joined the "4-eyes" club. :)

mo said...

Love the Abby post. That was a tough recovery on that one...I remember you not healing in one spot and I was afraid you were going to split open. Glad that didn't happen! Ya just have to love little Babs! She has always been able to wrap me around her little pinkie like no other child! She's a definate keeper!

Suzie Petunia said...

Holy Smokes! Could that little girl look more like her mom? NO! Good thing her momma is so pretty! :) Happy Birthday, Abby! You are precious and loved!

Charlotte said...

Happy Birthday!! I agree, she is adorable. My kids all made her cards, but I forgot to give them to you. Great story of her birth. Don't let me forget to ask about the surgery.

Carrie Ann said...

I love Abby-s. There should be more of them.