Sunday, February 15, 2009

There's a new smarty pants in town...

Last week I got glasses. It was bound to happen. I mean, I did make it to 30. The first couple of hours I was second guessing if I really needed them because it was so weird and uncomfortable...and then the distraction of the frames and the feeling that I was looking through glass ('cause I am looking through glass) subsided. Now when I take them off I realize just how much I needed them. I don't like this feeling. It is just so...permanent.
Go ahead, let me get you started.
Four eyes.
Book worm.
Loser (that was my sister's contribution.)

So here is my thought process. A bigger brain pushes on your ocular nerves and makes you go blind. And by bigger brain, I mean one brimming with intelligence. Therefore, everyone that wears glasses is smarter than everyone else. And blind people are the smartest of them all.
You'd think that I was segwaying into how smart I am. Fooled you. I am actually perplexed that this theory has some holes. Me getting glasses just doesn't line up with my next segment entitled:
"I know I am not that smart and I'm OK with that."

I could cough up a list right now a mile long of instances where I proved that I am not book smart, but I won't...OK, I couldn't but only because my poor memory forbids it...not to mention the fact that I have had 4 kids...kids that have robbed me of the ability to think or remember anything other than the fact that they simply must wear tennis shoes for PE and if I use detangler spray to do their hair then it smells like they were actually bathed in a bathtub with water and soap.
There. That's my confession. It feels so nice to have that out in the open. I have a compulsive need sometimes to point out certain things before other people can...or before they can even think it. Does that make me insecure? I don't really care. It helps me feel as though I have cleared the air of certain mysteries. Don't be misled to believe that I don't know anything at all. I am actually quite smart in few random areas (and NO I don't just mean movie quotes and memorized restaurant phone numbers.) Besides knowing 101 ways to cook pasta and potatoes, I also know a lot about familial dynamics, relationships, human development and parenting. Not to imply that I am really good at all of those things...I just know a lot about them. Somehow BYU saw it fit to give me a degree. I only failed one class, but I'll get to that in a second. I graduated half-way through the academic year so I didn't do a graduation ceremony. (I graduated in 3 1/2 years...so I may not be super intelligent, but I am a hard worker.) I never walked across a stage wearing a gown and a tassel laden pointy hat. They mailed me my diploma. For years I dreamed that I didn't really graduate from college or high school. No closure, I guess. In those dreams, I also could never find my locker (different issue.)
I failed Physical Science in college. We're talking basic, freshman, Physical Science...one of those classes like American Heritage that they make all the freshman take to make sure they pass therefore proving to themselves, meaning the college admissions board, that they didn't actually admit any imbeciles. Boy, did I fool them! But here is the strangest thing. The first time I took the class with my sister and a best friend. We went to every class, took copious notes and studied. That resulted in a fat F. The second time I took it was with a different sister. We went to 20 minutes of the first lecture and then decided that Taco Bell was a better fit for us. I never went to another class and yet somehow passed with a B. I'll tell you the secret. You gotta kiss up to the TA's. You have to learn exactly what they want to read in your essays and even which words to use. If you cater precisely to their wishes then they pass you...you have to make them feel beautiful and powerful because they wear those blue vests that scream "Look at me! I'm so smart that I don't care how I look in this vest!" But those vests were way back in the 90's...maybe in this new century they get to wear pimped out lab coats or something shiny.
My friend and I used to sit and make fun of the people in Freshman Academy. Don't be offended if you were part of Freshman Academy. Only the dumb people make fun of you...and why would you care about that? We figured that everyone in Freshman Academy was smart because they all seemed to wear glasses. Again, sometimes stupid people come to irrational conclusions. It's just what we do. We would keep tabs on how many times they pushed their glasses up in one class because we figured that each time they did, they got a little smarter.
So here's to you Freshman Academy, Physical Science and TA's in dorky, blue vests!! How do you like me now?!!

(Haley insisted that I then pose with a pencil...and not doing that freaky thing with my eye. Because as we all know, pencils make us look smarter too...)

These are actual notes from my first attempt at the class. When weeding through college papers I just couldn't part with them. Not because they were filled with information and knowledge that I [kind of] possessed at one time...but because they made me laugh and remember that even though it's the only class in my life that I ever FAILED, it sure was fun. I mean, look how neat my handwriting was! Awesome. I give myself an "A" in penmanship (for spending a lot of time perfecting my handwriting and less time listening to the professor or checking the clock to see how many more minutes I had until getting Hostess coffee cakes from the vending machine and taking a nap in the girls bathroom on the 3rd floor of the library.)

22 comments:

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wowzers--I had no idea! do you really have to wear them all the time? you are cute...i still need to read what you wrote, but I was so excited to be the first commenter, i had to get it in...

Abby said...

Let me set the scene--it's our second attempt at the lecture that semester (the first one resulting in said Taco Bell run), and as I rounded the corner I see Emily, sitting on a table with her backpack on--shaking her head no...Too bad you got a B that time and I failed.
That was freakin' hilarious, ps, especially the note by the pregnant woman that says, "Help! Take me to the hospital. I'm having a Fitzgerald contraction!"

Lucky Mommy said...

You are hilarious. I think the New England writing tradition is effecting your posts. You entertain me every time! I like the glasses. Oddly enough, I first realized I needed glasses in Physical Science when I couldn't see what in the world the teacher was writing on the board. You made it longer than I did without them but I can still pass the drivers' vision test without them so technically I don't "need" them. Only smart people are like that!

katyvee said...

So the fact that I don't need glasses at ALL.. reassures me of the already assumed conclusion, that my brain is very, very tiny.
(Me never attending or even attempting college-- or knowing what Freshman Academy IS.. is just additional evidence.)
Wait. I did take one evening class, and dropped out. It was creative writing.. my favorite and possibly strongest subject. I just didn't like anyone telling how to DO it. I'll never have glasses.. will I.

Charlotte said...

I am practically blind without glasses, so that disproves your theory completely!

Our daughters' hair must smell the same.

I thought you went to BYU? I have no idea what Freshman Academy is. Must not have been apart of it (especially since I can't spell academy and had to check how you had spelled it).

michaelstubbs said...

So there you are, sitting in the WLK with your friends, eating burritos and joking about freshmen in glasses. You throw a packet of hot sauce at a nerdy boy in glasses because, hey, he can't see that far anyway. At what point do you realize that it's me, your cousin? Huh?

I used to tell myself (used to and still do) that if my professors in graduate school were not wearing glasses it meant that they didn't read enough as undergrads.

And I still have a hard time with that feeling totally dependent thing that you mentioned. My contacts made me feel totally superior and cool until I fell asleep with them in and they nearly glued my eyes shut.

Ok, I'm done.

Oscarson Photography said...

What's the note on the back of the paper that says 'Noisy' and points to the whole in the paper? I like the Old World too.

And that's so funny that physical science seems to force glasses on people. That's the subject that did it for me in 6th grade!!

You have lost a little independence for a whole lot of power, sis.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I'm just happy to hear that you use the detangler scent as a trickery to other for bathed children--shocking coming from you! And, I can't believe you skipped class so much your 2nd time around...glad it worked out for ya. I guess we didn't have enough fun in the class we took together--you actually contributed often, so not as much doodling.

JJ said...

If your theory is correct (and it does appear sound and logical) then I am about to be inducted into the exclusive membership of Mensa. My glasses aren't even attractive because they are so thick! My brain will soon exceed the capacity of my head cavity! Woohoo!

By the way, I think your glasses are very stylish and you make them look good!

Fireball said...

Love the notes - especially the drawing of the freshman academy girl! And BTW, you look cute in glasses.

Rynell said...

You look great in those glasses!
Your reasoning resonates with me. We must be kindred spirits because Physical Science was NOT my friend.

TD said...

I agree with JJ. If your theory is correct, the only one smarter than me,(because her eyes I know I worse than mine) would be JJ. I like your glasses. Way cute!

Emma Jo said...

I believe that the word "Noisy" with the arrow was pointing to someone sitting near us probably eating something like chips or carrot sticks during class.

Suzie Petunia said...

Herbal Essences mousse will give the same desired effect as the de-tangler.

I am pretty sure I'm the one who clued you into the the whole "Listen To The TAs!" thing. I soon learned that you could skip every class and not even read the book... just as long as you put in 3 hours a week in the TA lab having them tell you how to answer the test questions you'd have it made in the shade. I got an A in that class. ME. An A ... in science. That is a freakin' miracle, and I swear I don't even wear glasses.

I love your notes and doodles. Don't throw them away ever.

mo said...

I know I'm your mom but I just don't get why you don't think you're smart. Just look at the choices you have made in your life! I think you are brilliant beyond measure! It's really a shame that the world tends to look at IQ tests and grades to determine intelligence. That said, the glasses do add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to your appearance. I wore glasses from 6th grade on and never felt smart...just dorky. In your theory of smartness, what does it mean that I had lasik surgery to fix my eyes. Did they remove some smartness too? I should have thought of that!

Carrie Ann said...

The drawing of the world looks like my handy work... Was this the time I took it with you? Am I the sister you failed it with? Why wasn't I looking out for you? I'm pretty sure I didn't go to class, though... and I DID graduate. I can barely remember college and I didn't even drink (at the time, now it's a matter of getting out of a certain calling so spread the word...)

I only wear glasses to look at the TV or to use my computer to look at our old houses on Google Maps. Two things that require LOADS of smartness. AND I have to wear men's glasses because I have a big head. What does that say?

And you struck something with the "never having walked across the stage in a gown with tassels"... That can be arranged. I'm sure you have a gown and I've got some tassels, are you sure you want to do this on a stage?

Mandee said...

LOVE the glasses! They suit you. If your theory is correct, I have been super smart since the 4th grade. However, I am a FAILURE when it comes to math. Maybe it just makes me smart in other areas!

Julie said...

You look smart and very sheik. Wow! If I looked that dazzling in glasses, I would wear mine more often-- I wear my glasses when I drive at night so I don't drive on the wrong side of the road, I have terrible depth perception at night-- strange. By the end of the day, I am brain dead, I guess that is why.

Twinlinebackers said...

Did you notice the noisy person was "stupid too"? Did he not wear glasses? I don't remember phy sci...or freshman academy. I also don't remember having this much fun in college. But then, I didn't have any friends back then either. I also didn't do the tassle walk - shall we have our own graduation ceremony????

laurie said...

I love the glasses! You be way smart now! I still don't got no glasses.

Amy Lynn said...

I need to get glasses. I'm not very smart.

Do you know that having children actually IMPROVED my eyesight? I wore them BC (before children) but was just told a month ago that I have 20/20 vision...which just goes to show that having children literally drains the brain power for some of us. I knew it...I just knew it!

Amy Lynn said...

And I got at least one "F" in physical science...we didn't take the class together did we? I'm not sure the idea of taking notes even crossed my mind. I usually just took a good book and considered a free hour of leisure reading. Hence, the "F" in physical science and the "A" in my children's lit class (same semester!).