Thursday, November 13, 2008

See ya tonsils!...who needs you anyway?

before...I just had to take a picture of her tonsils before they were gone forever. I would have taken a picture of her adenoids but despite what it may look like, my camera won't fit inside her mouth.
At three years old she has already had more than her fair share of strep throat and also suffers from a touch of sleep apnea...not to mention that her tonsils were so naturally gi-normous, I don't know how she swallowed food. The poor girl sleeps (intermittently) with her head back and her mouth wide open. She snores so loudly that occasionally we can hear her all the way down the hall in our room. I wish that I had video taped her one last time last night. I will miss walking into their room for that last nigh time check to see her mouth hanging open and snoring like a grown man drunk off his rocker.
Oh this girl...I could eat her up.

So today we headed in and let little Mia give her tonsils and adenoids away. It has been a full and fun day. The sweet girl was a tad clingy but still her fun, silly self. We got checked in and had an adorable stuffed animal waiting for her on her bed with her hospital clothes. Her little drawstring pants fell down around her ankles more than once to expose her tiny bare buttock*s...she though it was hilarious. And I love that her room overlooked a cemetery next door. She asked if all those people had died today. I tried to assure her (and myself) that she was in good hands.
We had a lot of waiting around to do but still managed to have too much fun. When it was time to take her in, I put on my little bunny suit and sat on the bed while they wheeled us both down the hallway. We had Mia convinced that she was in a parade. She even waved and blew kisses at all the other patients that we passed. When we got into the operating room she got a tad clingy but we were able to get her onto the other table in an upside down fetal position. The nurse and anesthesiologist were so great. They totally went with it. She was curled up on the table face down, hugging her new bear and covered with her green blanket. So they threw another sheet over her and called it her tent. When the anesthesiologist asked for her finger to put on the pulse cuff she reached just one hand out and up with one little finger extended. She was totally giggling and it gave us all a laugh as well. Then he took the mask off and stuck the gas hose right under her blanket and blamed the bear for being stinky. She was relaxed and cute about the whole thing which made it so much easier to do. When she got really relaxed they simply flipped her over and got her situated with the mask on her face until she was totally out. Then they handed me her blanket and bear and sent me on my way.
So the day that started with two tonsils and two adenoids...ended with a sore throat, a purple popsicle and some applesauce. The days to come will be an interesting challenge. I mean, the girl can only eat so much pudding.Initially she was feeling kinda sad, understandably so...but one shot of morphine and a pudding cup later, she was feeling more like herself...Thanks for my friend for picking up the very early slack for me and making it possible to even do this today (since Clark is out in the ocean today.)

On a total side note: This week the girls have suddenly realized that Abby can ride on Haley's shoulders. It is a scary new game. While Clark and I were chatting in the kitchen the other night, a very tall, giggly person came in. It's kind of an eery prediction of the future so let's hope Abby's head gets a little bigger as she gets taller.

22 comments:

JJ said...

I would love to come visit your house and just be a spectator. It sounds like so much fun!

JJ said...

Oh, and I'm glad that everything went okay with the adenoid removal.

Vee said...

This is Brookeh Call I am friends with Patch's, Gauruder's, and Later's. I love your blog! It is so fun to read. What a brave little girl you have. I can't imagine having my little girl go through that. Kudos to her and you!

Maleen said...

She may not enjoy it now, but when she is older, she will be so happy she got them out when she was a kid. I hear it is easier to go through labor than have your tonsils out as an adult.

michaelstubbs said...

Ian had his tonsils and adenoids out this year too. I sort of miss the clicky sort of way he snored, but I am glad that he sleeps better.

Sarah said...

I'm glad she'd OK, poor little thing. I love the comment about if the people in the cemetary died today. I wonder if in a few years Mia will be on Abby who will be on Haley's sholders?!?

Suzie Petunia said...

I hope they (the tonsils and adnoids) went to someone who really needed them. ha ha Was that a funny joke? I can't tell. Its late.

Bless Mimi's little heart and her mother's too! And to do this while Clark is out to sea. Bless you all a million times over! I wish I was there to help and cuddle and eat pudding. Give her big hugs from me, pretty please!

Berly said...

I am so glad you got this taken care of. 2 of my friends just got there tonsils out and they are feeling awful. Have been out for like 2 weeks. AHHHH! I love the picture of Clark and the girls. That is soooo funny.

Kimberly said...

One of the twins had their tonsils out last year and it has made a world of difference. He used to always be sick, and it is nice to have a healthy boy. I hope it helps Mia too.

Lucky Mommy said...

Poor little Mia! She looks so vulnerable and sad in some of those pictures. I'm glad to hear she was happy and making the most of it. Too bad about the view of the cemetery. It was sweet of her to ask about the people there. I had my tonsils out when I was 6 and I remember recovering with lots of homemade mac and cheese. Maybe she'll like that!

squeezeme said...

Goodbye strep!! Hope you are feeling better, Mia! We send our love from Utah!

Charlotte said...

Blogger messed up my comment. I'll try again.

Who builds a hospital next to a cemetary?!? That was some great planning. I'm glad all went well and hope she feels better soon.

My kids have never attempted to make gigantic, little headed people. I will make sure they don't see the picture and get the idea.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, what an event! Way to go mom! Way to hold it all together, way to be brave! Your description of Mia sleeping before sounds very similar to my AJ. Hmmmm. But she doesn't get sick/strep much.

mo said...

Oh my sweet, brave, darling Meems. I wish I could have been there with you. I usually am, ya know. How many visits to the hospital have I been along on with Mia? Quite a few I think. Glad she is on the mend now and glad she will be sick less often.

Sadie Lou said...

oh my goodness i am so glad that the surgurey went well! she is such a brave girl!! and oh my goodness that giggly person is the funniest thing i have ever seen!! :)

Abby said...

jj, I have been a spectator there and it IS fun. I miss your gaggle so much, EJ. I want to kiss MiMi's "froat" and am sad I missed her on morphine.

Amy Lynn said...

Poor, sweet girl! But she got mom all to herself for a few hours, got a new stuffed animal, and will get lots of pudding cups in the next few days so it's not all bad, right? I had no idea that little girl was lugging around such big appendages!

And the picture of Abby and Haley is hilarious! I love those cute girls.

Twinlinebackers said...

Mia looks too little to be going to surgery. Poor thing. Only you can make a trip to the hospital sound like a fun outing. She's lucky to have a mom who makes even bad stuff seem great.

If you get Hazel to sit on Mia's shoulders you could pretend you only have two kids..... They are too funny.

Jason and Susie said...

Hi Emily! your family is so Darling!!!!! sorry to hear about the tonsils, looks like she was a trooper. Its been so long since any of us have talked. We need to catch up sometime...(susan sisson Wade) in case you were wondering who the heck I was....

Carrie Ann said...

Sweet, Sweet Meemo. You made it sound like a fun day! And how sweet of the doctors and nurses to make it "fun", too.

Hooray for your awesome friends who help you like that! Thank you for taking care of my sister when I can't!

And I want to see Hazel on Mia on Abby on Haley. A totem. A turducken. A Hazmiabaley.

Vi said...

poor little mia! I hope she's feeling much better now! I would have been a crying mess leaving her in there... I love that you guys made it fun for her!

The last picture's hilarious! Hope you guys are doing well!

Brett and Amy said...

That was the cutest story ever, even if it did involve a scalpel. She is so darn yummy. I was quite distracted by her adorable little hat -very cute.