Don't be alarmed...this isn't reallyClark...but in fact that is too bad because sleep-walking (and not somniloquy) will
get you "non-deploy able" status in the Navy...as will a bee allergy or kidney stones.
I think I can count on one hand, the number of times I have seen my husband stressed out. He is just not easily ruffled by the hard stuff. But lately work has been, how can I say this nicely?...a little rough. There has been endless hours put in with little time off and an eternal list of things to accomplish in a very unreasonable amount of time. We get no overtime pay mind you, they just own him and that's that. Plus they are starting sea trials which means a lot of in and out, both predictable and not-so-much predictable. Plans keep changing by the hour around here so we are trying our best to go with the flow and laugh about it.
Anyway, the other night Clark came home unexpectedly from a little underway. It was a very pleasant surprise and he did his best to make the evening with me and the girls count, even though he had gotten essentially no sleep the night before. He fell asleep on my lap while watching TV together and he then proceeded to carry on a rather sporadic conversation with me. I was laughing so hard that I was crying. I wish I had had the camera with me because his facial expressions were the best part. Here is a little snippet of our talk:
(His head was on my lap so every time he would say something he would turn his face towards me, say it, I would start giggling uncontrollably...causing my stomach to bounce his head around. Then he would get a silly grin across his face, turn his head away and promptly begin to snore again.)
Clark: TMC is really excited because the guys coming to fix the boat know German...and he really wants to learn German.
Me: Oh, thats interesting. Is TMC his name or his designation?
Clark: His...[nodding his head].
Me: What does it stand for?
Clark: [some gobbly gook that I didn't understand one word of.]
...a few seconds later...
(somewhat surprised and annoyed) Clark: Just cycle it through once.
Me: OK, I have no response to that.
...a few seconds after that...
Clark: Did you get a new bra?
Me: No.
At this point I was giggling so hard that I couldn't control the tears...again, his sheepish smile was the best part.
Then he looked towards me one more time with his eyes closed and said "don't be hard on me" and promptly began to snore again.
He remembers nothing of our little chat but I assured him that I had a terrific evening. The poor man. I wish I could say that he would be resting easy soon but I am afraid this is just the beginning.
We always knew he was like his Dad, we just figured that there were a few things that wouldn't happen for several more years. (Oh, please, someone in the Scharman family share about the time that Dad fell asleep in the middle of saying family prayer...I know there is an archive of Father-in-law-sleep-talking stories out there somewhere.) I am so happy that I married into a family that would entertain me day and night.
10 comments:
HaHa. Peter talks in his sleep too when he is stressed and tired. It is always funny (for me). I try to keep him talking to make the funny last as long as possible.
I think you could make the argument that sleep talking could be dangerous for security issues. I mean what if your bra status was a matter of national security? You should take that up with the commander in chief.
Are you a little worried about what he tells his comrades on the boat about your bra status? Patrick keeps me in stitches retelling stories about my sleep talking. Go easy on the poor guy. It's not easy being so funny.
Very funny! I cannot begin to tell you how many meaningless conversations I've had with my husband in the middle of the night. I was awake and I thought he was...and then...not so much. It usually involves helping with children. He's changed diapers he doesn't even remember changing.
Good times!
Awesome! I love it. One of my Japanese house mates told me in Hawaii that I speak a lot of Japanese in my sleep and that my pronunciation's much better then than it is when I'm awake... I didn't know quite how to take that.
Ha ha! I think you are an amazing wife to appreciate the humor in this situation instead of murmuring about him being gone and tired. I'm glad you shared this with us!
I have had a few interesting conversations with Dad while he was asleep. He was usually doing store visits. Business, business, business!
Truly funny! Especially the bra comment.
Mike has told me, "We need to go climb the screwdriver." in his sleep before. There are plenty more very funny "conversations" we have had. Thanks for sharing, they made me laugh.
Oh Emily, I am sad for Clark but I am happy for you. I guess I am easily entertained but Paul has provided years of entertainment. My favorite is, "We need to eat more fertilizer!" but we could also include "Have you been out with the half ducks?" or "Did you see his new electric bike?" He is always good for a chuckle. Love you.
Holy Moly that is funny!
Post a Comment