Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Bulbous Bow


Clark shared a new Navy term with us all this week when he affectionately called my belly my "bulbous bow".

"A bulbous bow, a feature of many modern ship hulls, is a protruding bulb at the bow (or front) below the waterline. Usually visible only when a ship is in drydock, the bulb modifies how water flows around the hull, reducing drag and increasing speed, range, and fuel efficiency. Ships with bulbous bows generally have 12 to 15 percent better fuel efficiency than similar vessels without them."

The conversation about my bulbous bow actually started because Clark wondered if my belly made me more aerodynamic. I said that once I have achieved those kinds of speeds I would let him know. And I happen to know that my fuel efficiency is at an all-time low.

With just a couple more weeks to go, I have officially reached the stage where doing normal things have become a challenge. For example: shaving my legs, loss of transition from the calf to the foot (aka: cankles), the bath towel doesn't fit my circumference upon exiting the shower, regular heavy breathing, getting in and out of cars, getting in and out of bed (multiple times a night to use the bathroom), bending over to pick up anything, and giving a urine sample at the doctor's office (visibility just ain't what it used to be). Hugging my husband has to be done at an angle to achieve any sense of closeness, though the girls have never felt more accommodated as when they are perched comfortably on top of the belly. (Case in point: Clark had to pry one "barnacle" aka Mia, from the bulbous bow of this ship so I could go to the bathroom this morning without the extra company.) And on a side note, I think I am doing irreparable damage to the lining of my stomach by the amount of Zantac I consume on a daily basis.
A visit to the doc today confirmed that indeed the baby is still measuring 4 weeks large. Terrific. So if I plan on a 13 pound baby perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. On a good note, he gave the go ahead on our induction date...19 days to go, more or less.

17 comments:

Jenny said...

Now listen, Em, I am going to put a postitive spin on all this. OK, here I go-you only have a bulbous bow because you have not put on weight anywhere but exactly where you should. Look at you, you look great everywhere else, except the basketball, I mean beach ball in front. There do you fell Better? Hey, don't forget to use your minions to help you pick up ot get up-that is what they are there for. 19 days-WOW!

mo said...

And she didn't even use the shot I took from below because it made her look even more bulbous! We simply must find the missing platinum reacher!

TD said...

I love it when the doctor gives a date and you can start counting down. Jenny is right! You do look great!

Suebee said...

You look fantastic and you are going to get another beautiful girl out of this. Those Naval Engineers have a term for everything. They are lucky we keep listening to them when they talk ship.

Valerie said...

Cannon has been a civilian for two years now, and I still have to remind him sometimes to use civillian terms. We always had a rule - no navy terms between being gone!

I'll help you count down. This is exciting!!!!

scraphappymama said...

you look great and 19 days is doable . . . not like you have much of a choice in it. can't wait to see pics of your new cute girl!!!

Kimberly said...

Now that you are getting so close, have your girls found a name yet for their new little sister? You're on the last stretch!

Mandee said...

Just be glad you have a legitimate reason for having your bulbous bow!

Jessica said...

you look adorable..and I REALLY mean that!

Sadie Lou said...

oh my goodness you hair is lookin soooo super cute!!! and cute pajama pants! and you shirt is very funny!!! :)

Sunnie said...

i am loving that shirt. i want one. maybe when i'm on girl #4 because it might be inevitable. i'm excited to see the new baby.

Lea said...

You look so cute, all belly!, I wish I could pull that off when I'm pregnant, lucky! 19 days, that's just around the corner, good luck and I'll be waiting for pics and a name.

Lea

Berly said...

19 more days to go-YEAH!! You look great and hang in there. Oh, have you figured out a name yet?

Abby said...

Ok, first, pass that shirt on (bc it won't be funny suddenly after the baby has left behind a saggy womb) and 2. you totally look like you haven't gained anywhere but the belly. How is it that you look thinner with each pregnancy but the babies get bigger? That is so soon, p.s. What's the actual date of induction, did your house sell, and--yeah, that's it.

Brett and Amy said...

I hated it when strangers felt they could come up to me and touch my belly! But,oh, I just want to rub that round belly. You're lucky you won't be pregnant anymore when you drive through here, because I don't know if I could resist. Down the road I will probably be a crochety old lady who doesn't think twice about passing gas in public and has personal boundry issues touching all round bellies I see. What a future!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

19 days, huh? i like the navy jargon...sheesh, you're not helping me want to try for another...with all that last month difficulty talk.

Amy Lynn said...

I agree...it is torture to be around you because I just want to rub that amazing belly! And I agree with Abby...how is it that you get hotter with each baby? I can't even tell you're pregnant from behind. Not fair. I can't wait to come hold a new niece. Wait, do I get to come feed you ice-chips during the delivery?