Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Good the Bad and the Velour

The Good:
The good news is, the antibiotics have kicked in and everyone gets to go back to school this week (and seeing as how I have no obligations besides school drop offs and pick ups, my naps may be reinstated.)

The Bad: Has anyone seen me?

I think I would rather have lost my wallet. It had so much information and is my contact for people and places from all over! It is my contact with schools, doctors, friends, family...I feel completely helpless without it. As far as me losing it, perhaps "lost" isn't the best word. My two year old seems to have misplaced it.

"Mi-Mi, did you play with my phone?"

"Yeah." [enthusiastically]

"Where is it?"

"I don't know (one of her favorite things to say), I lost it"

I have been following her around like a lion stalking prey for the past three days trying to memorize and scrutinize patterns of behavior...if I were a two year old with no respect for my mother's property, where would I carelessly leave her cell phone when my short attention span was done with it?

We have called it a million times, looked in trash cans, toilets, closets, pockets, drawers, under beds, under couches, in real purses, in play purses, in shoes...nothin.

So I broke down and bought a new one...again, did I mention that it is my traveling "home"? It makes me feel grounded and connected to my transient lifestyle. So now you can call me, but I don't have your number...not to mention I have had to re-program in Pei Wei take out and Cafe Rio, what a pain. I told my mother in law that I was going to add the cost of my new phone to my daughter's growing tab (for things like broken sunglasses and other miscellaneous broken/lost items over the years). She told me not to bother, that she would have to take out a loan in her adult years to pay it all back.

Moving on, I'm sure that I'll learn to love my new Samsung.

And just because I want to make this entry extrutiatingly long and hard to read....

What is up with velour?

In my pregnant state I have wandered through the isles at Target looking, just looking. And each time I have ended up at the same spot: standing in front of the Liz Lang maternity velour sweatsuits. Something inside me says that it's not right...that velour is for overweight men in their 70's that live in Florida and live in retirement communities. But it feels so right (and by that I mean it feels good on the outside, not the inside.) So finally, after the umpteenth time looking, I grabbed one. Don't get me wrong, I know lots of really cute people that wear velour and look adorable. It just doesn't seem like it should be OK. It makes me think of Elvis. I must admit that it has been worn more than anything else in my closet and I've only had it for a week and a half. My Mom says that it is perfectly acceptable. Her fashion law states that after month 7 of pregnancy you can wear whatever you want as often as you want (with the exception of Big Abby's blue and green dress)...we'll see how sick of it she is in 8 weeks when I have worn smooth spots in the knees and rear end from endless wear and lounging.
I feel like all I'm missing is 2 inch acrylic nails and the word PHAT across my rear end.
Bring on the lounging.

25 comments:

Suebee said...

I think you look cute in your velour. I have never had the same association with velour that you do. I only think of cute people wearing it when I think of velour. I must say that I don't own any though because I have never felt hip enough to buy it. Good luck with the new phone, I will call you and give you our numbers.

JJ said...

Don't knock the velour, sister! I don't know what I would do without it. I believe I have the same maternity velour that has been worn through two pregnancies. I don't know if I would have survived without it.

You look great in it, by the way. If only we all looked as good as you do.

Sunnie said...

i like the belly. so cute. and i bet the phone ended up in the trash can. that's my guess. we had a toy end up there once and wouldn't have known except for the fact that it kept making noise as we were taking out the trash. sorry about the phone. i had to buy one a month ago because my old one decided to stop working for no reason at all.

Mandee said...

I have to admit I own a pair of black velour capris, except they look more like pants I have outgrown because I am short and capris aren't really capris on me..but that is another topic altogether. I guess what I am trying to say is that it may seem wrong but they do feel oh so right!

the wrath of khandrea said...

actually, i was thinking you were lacking a little chest hair popping out of the top of the zipper.
love the new layout.
as for cafe rio, maybe you should just sneak down to your cafe-cave and light the burrito signal when you feel the crave. the CR peeople will look into the sky and know exactly who is calling them and for what.
if i lived in utah, that's what i'd do.

Jessica said...

I love, LOVE the new layout. can you teach me how to do that?? Sorry about the phone...losing those things are so darn annoying!

Rynell said...

Sorry about your phone. That is a bummer.

You look nice in velour, very non-Elvis like and comfy.

Suzie Petunia said...

I LOVE IT! I was just complimenting Sticky Niki on her lovely velour outfit a few days ago. Now I want one. It would be so comfy on an ucky snow-day like today.

Sadie Lou said...

oh em, wear whatever you want! you are pregnant and that is an excuse! and you look so cute in it! and when i first glanced at the pic. i thought it was me for a second! they have grown soooo much! its amazing! and i am glad you guys are not really that sick any more! that is a good thing! oh and i wish you still lived in houston b/c i really want to go see hannah montana and miley cyrus with you! that would be really fun!! but it couldn't be as fun as hilary duff! that was fun!! :)

Brett and Amy said...

I'm with ya on the velour thing, but somehow you pull it off. You look so cute! I'm totally sending you some iron-on letters for your highnee (yeah, what is that word? I'm pulling a Gavin and just writing it phonetically).

Megan said...

Yo yo yo, like your outfit is so PHAT! Fershizzle! Peace out. Word to your mother.

Abby said...

I'm with ya--but you pull it off beautifully (at least from this small, far away photo...) My favorite part is how Abby (?) is being bumped out of the way by the growing belly--the adorable growing belly. Why does it just sound cute when a two year old loses your phone? I can only wonder where it could be...

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Hey--I've got several pairs of velour "track suits" (not sweats) and I love 'em! Pink, black, brown, and a teal and purple that I decided was a bit "much." They are comfy and cozy and a spruce up from pj's! Don't go knockin' my casual wear. Sorry about the phone...i never thought to program restaurants.

laurie said...

I feel the same way about velour. I tease Lisa Bunnell all the time about wearing hers. She even wore hers on the plane to go to Bahrain to see Paul. She hadn't seen her husband in 3 months. If you plan on wearing that suit when you see Clark for the first time I am going to send you a Gap gift card :)

Kara said...

I love velour. And by the way, I really like your new background and stuff, it's just the opposite of ghetto!

zippity-do-da said...

You don't need any more affirmations- but ... you always did remind me of Elvis. Which is better? A phone evaporating mysteriously, or one dropped in a very dirty toilet? I would rather lose it sanitarily.

Sarah said...

There is the cutest jacket in the maternity section at Target right now...please buy it and wear it often. I would if I was still pregnant!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Sick kids? I got em!
Velour hoodie? I got that too!
A baby bump? Ummmm, no. That would just be my post-natal and jiggly baby belly flap.

I think you make velour look dignified. You could practically be the mayor of Velouria!.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Is this where I can leave baby name suggestions?

Here goes:
Louisa
Genevieve
Guinevere
Helena
Aurora
Caroline/Carolina
Elena
Eliza
Danica

elasticwaistbandlady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh, and I still like Margaret and Eleanor too with the nicknames Maggie and Elle/Ellie.

Emma Jo said...

How in the world do you still have ideas for names? I ran out like two kids ago. I will have to add some to our list...what am I saying, we don't even have a list. Clark's assigment is to come home with some good suggestions (maybe not such a smart idea since he's been living with nothing but men for the last four months.)

scraphappymama said...

love the new look. sorry you all have been sick and double on the loss of your phone. as for the velour. i had some black velour pants when i was pregnant with russell. they were my favorite. go for whatever is comfy is my preggo mantra.

Suebee said...

Baby names:
Susan - you know, as in the crab
Ashley - our second girl name that now we can't use
Laura - our third girl name that we can't use now

Mandee said...

Here are some of my favorites...
Avery
Emmerson
Sydney (not the Bristow kind, although she is really cool?)
Brooklyn