Saturday, June 23, 2007

Last man standing...and an air show...

So there are a few details I left out of my last blog...although I do recall mention of "the vomit". So I'll bring us all up to speed. Little Abby ushered in the vomit on our first night here in Connecticut, in the hotel, all over the bed. Then two days later Haley jumped on the bandwagon and threw up on the floor of her room, the first night in our new place, with no cleaning supplies to be found. Then two days later little Mia, feeling quite left out decided to end our magical FHE in Mystic (Mystic Pizza, ice cream, walk along the water) by up-chucking in the car on the way home...now wait, we got all our bases covered, right? Hotel, check. New digs, check. Car, check. So a couple days later I thought we were in the clear...but my Outback wasn't sitting so well (I know, Outback! I mean, come on, Friendly's I can understand but not the Outback!) I shared in the girls' wealth, ALL night, times 100. I have never been so sick in my whole entire life. At one point Clark was actually holding me up so I wouldn't fall off the potty OR drop the bucket on my lap...too much information? Come morning I was literally one stomach spasm away from asking for the ER. I spent the entire next day recovering and laying on my back. Then I spent much of today recovering from resting...you know, atrophy and all. (So you can imagine the frustration to my slightly OCDish self that it all puts me 2+ days behind on unpacking...) And remember a couple of blogs ago when I awarded Clark all those points? Multiply that times 2,000,000. He has cleaned vomit from all manner of places this week and is left the lone man in good health. Do we love him? Yes, we do.
And while we're on the subject (not to jinx his health or anything) I have a theory...actually its kind of HIS theory. Clark hardly ever, ever, ever gets sick and you know why? He gargles regularly with Listerine. I hate the smell of it almost as much as I hate swishing with it. The Naval Academy is responsible for his support of this theory. The detailer at the Naval Academy would have all the midshipmen line up with their mouths open and spray Listerine down the line to keep them all from getting sick during Plebe summer to cover up the fact that they are really trying to kill them ("the Count insists on everyone being healthy, before they're broken".)
So now I am trying to figure out how to line up a 1,4 and 5 year old each night before bed, take a squirt of Listerine without crying out in pain or swallowing...pass along any advice because we are NOT doing this week again.
So, on to more pleasant things...
We had to get out of the house today, you know, fresh air. Yesterday we saw a commercial for an Air Show and off we went.
We attended the Rhode Island Air National Guard Show at Quonset Point complete with cargo planes, trick planes, really loud planes and the Blue Angels (they are the only ones I know by name...)
It was a lot of fun. The girls were pleasant, the temperature was mid 70's with a breeze, and the sky was clear...and only one trip to the porta potty (I only gagged once...I AM recovering from the flu remember...) Hopefully just the first of our many excursions of the summer...and I vow that the rest of my documentation won't be prefaced by paragraphs and paragraphs of grotesque stories with too much information...but I can't promise anything, this is after all the realities of my life, the good, bad and the ugly...but hopefully mostly the sweet.

9 comments:

Abby said...

"Rhode Island passes!"
I want you to take me to the mansions next. This is fun--keep posting--I'm getting all the benefits of seeing New England, without the stomach flu. Scratch that--I'm getting none of the benefits bc your girls are so far away from me and I'm not in New England--I'm in the desert...no rich history, just rich people...

Sarah said...

Yeah! Welcome home...

mo said...

The misery of stomach flu cannot not be overstated or underestimated. The only thing that comes close to the horror of it is having to clean it up. Hats off to Clark and 3 "Poor babies" and 5 "bless it's hearts" go to the sufferers. I am so envious that you are in New England.

Julie said...

Ohhh I feel for you guys. You have me convinced, I am starting the Listerine routine this evening.

Great pictures, the sky is sooo blue!

Kristin said...

This very same thing happened to us last weekend, with Chad being the only one who didn't get sick, and he did like Clark, dutifully cleaning up whatever didn't make it into the bucket, but it was the same flu, I'm sure of it. It was yucky, and took me about as long as you to receover. The Listerine is a good theory, I might have to start that, because I would NOT like to relive me and the two kids sickness again, and neither would Chad. Those pictures are amazing, the sky is SO blue. It's good to have you back in the blog world after your short absence!

Jessica said...

Oh Emily...So sorry. Flu with kids is the worst! Glad you are back on the blog, keeping us updated on the ins and outs of your cute family. Hope the unpacking goes well!

Carrie Ann said...

Sitting on the potty with a bucket on you lap? That sounds like food poisoning! Shame on Outback! And how infuriating to throw up an expensive meal! Hooray for our hero Clark! What a man!

Rynell said...

I have just endured a (somewhat) correlating week. How can it be that I also traveled many miles (2400 + miles round trip in a mini van) and my family experienced the horror that is the stomach plague? My hubby didn't catch it either ...and he also swishes daily with Listerine. Maybe there really is something to that overly-strong-burning liquid.

Jangs said...

Oh I feel your pain. I can remember days of cleaning up such messes and wondering just exactly how my education prepared me for this. Well Greater love hath no man than ...well you know, who cleans up the mess. Isn't it nice to have each other? And Conn. looks great. Hope to see you soon