Happy news to all the dedicated readers out there....and an update to my entry a couple weeks ago. Little Mommy and Daddy Killdeer welcomed four fuzzy, sleepy baby birds last Thursday morning. The eggs that we have been watching for for weeks finally hatched and they were adorable. Go ahead and take a moment to feel warm and fuzzy about that.
And now for the harsh realities of life...our ever so "observant" (enter thick sarcasm here) neighbors, in whose yard the nest resides, decided on Saturday (that would be on the little baby birds' 2 day birthday) decided to mow their lawn for the first time this year. And alas, the baby birds have gone to a better place. Can I say that I am angry? Do you remember the respect I held for these little bird parents, hanging in there and defending their small nest against the wiles of a busy neighborhood? And then the very owners of their little safehaven chopped them to pieces, unknowingly, I'm sure. Not so much sad as angry. It may take me a while to smile at these neighbors again.
7 comments:
I am actually in mourning a little bit over this. It breaks my heart--especially since I thought about going to their door and asking them if they knew about the birds--so they wouldn't do something stupid like mow their lawn. That poor mommy and daddy bird! If all creatures are to have joy in their posterity--are they devastated right now?
that is heartbreaking!!!!! At least they gained their body?
that makes me a little sad and angry... however, lets not be too harsh.. i am reminded of a misty morning in new jersey where a family of new born bunnies met their maker.... bless their birdie souls.
I feel I should blog anew...another neighbor thinks she saw the entire bird family unit relocating the morning before...there could be hope afterall...
I hope you are correct about the "relocation" of the Bird family...otherwise I don't know if I can come to your house and see the site of mass carnage.
That is very sad. I hope that they did move before the "extreme home makeover..." Move that mower!! Here is your new home!!!
"Relocating"?! What... does the daddy bird work for a big department store or something?
Post a Comment